It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Sharing A Good Story

Hello Everyone
I am 16 months in recovery from my stroke and I desperatly want to share with my friends this story,
I COOKED AND SERVED THANKSGIVING DINNER TO MY FAMILY
Yes it took me three days to get ready for it, several naps and an adjustment to the usual menu But I did it....
The turkey was a butterball frozen pre stuffed. Put in oven at 10am take it out at 4pm Presto perfect stuffing and perfect bird no work involved.
Potatoes in the crock pot when ready I drained them and whipped them in the crock pot and left them in there on warm. Same with the sweet potatoes. Canned peas and corn (oh ya that was hard) Ready made coldslaw just add the dressing. Canned cranberry sauce. MY GRAVEY and store bought dessert. set the table saturday, organized the meal Sunday and cooked it Monday.
BEFORE THE STROKE I would be baking my pies Saturday, making the cranberry sauce, peeling turnip and squash ( why I dont know it looks good in the magazines and I dont think you are suppose to call yourself a cook unless you can make it look like the picture in the magazine)
Thawing the 24 pound turkey two days before in the fridge monitoring it making sure its not thawing too quickly. Get up 4 am Sunday morning and start by man handling the 24 pound bird, Stuffing its you know what with home made stuffing receipe handed down from generation to generation. Find a pan big enough to put it in and try not to put my back out getting it in the oven. Then peeling veggetables ( God forbid I open a can NONONO) must be squash, turnip ( just peeling that sucker can give you a stroke) and maybe a new receipe like glazed carrots with almonds. OH ya. Lets not forget the ham that I would glaze. Home made tea biscuits ( I know your just waiting for me to say I curned my own butter heheheh but I didnt it) It was a full day of manipulating the oven to cook several dishes and the turkey whip cream for the pies and set the table so it looks like a martha stewart T,V special.
I visited with no one and dinner would be served at 5pm It took approx 1 hour to eat it and then clean up began.
Funny thing, this thanksgiving I sat with my family all afternoon and we visited and I hugged that grandbaby. We sat longer around the table and visted and before leaving my daughter said "MOM I can honestly say that was the best meal you have ever made and it was the best thanksgiving we have ever had." You what, my head was throbbing, I was hobbling around the kitchen, my energy kept bottoming out, but I can honestly say Im sure it was the best thanksgiving I have ever had too. Funny those life lessons we learn. They didnt care if it came in a can, if the stuffing was home made, if the pie was gramas receipe or store bought. The best part was I was here for it and they all loved the fact that God gave us another family get together to celebrate. Why cant we learn these lessons earlier in life?
I am truly blessed and in stroke recovery. Thank you dear friends.
Happy Thanksgiving God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (10-12-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
Re: Sharing A Good Story

WOW! That is one big inspiring story! God Bless you and your family and Happy Thanksgiving to you! As I was reading along I was reminded of the exhaustion I feel every year from preparing the dinner, and then it's gone in ten minutes. I always get stuck with all the clean up too! SO NOT FAIR! Every year I swear that the next year I am serving turkey pot pies, and every year I don't. Bless your heart for sharing such a wonderful story with us! I loved it!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: kenzibenzi
Mulchie (10-12-2011), Positive Cynic (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Hi Mulchie,
Thanks for that great story. There are so many lessons there for all of us to learn from your story. It is so wonderful to hear what your family said to you - that it was the best Thanksgiving ever - that gave me a big smile I am also so happy to see you understanding a little of how our strokes have in some ways become a blessing. I know that Janet said that to me when I first found this forum and I was just a few months since my stroke and I thought she was crazy. But she was absolutely right. It just takes a long time to find it and understand it. I know that I am a different person now than I was before my stroke and you know what? I like myself better this way. I think I am a lot better person than I was before. It was so hard in the first months that I could not do the things I used to do. But now I can look back and see that some of the things I used to do maybe weren't that important after all. And especially without my stroke I would have never met all of you wonderful people here. My second family.
God Bless you Mulchie (you to Kenzi!) and the rest of my friends here.
Tim

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Positive Cynic
kenzibenzi (10-12-2011), Mulchie (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 05:53 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Turkey pot pies - you go girl I laughed when I read your post
Thank you for your blessings
God Bless Mulchie

Old 10-12-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

I couldnt agree with you more Tim. I think I like the new me better than the old me. The trick is finding the new you after stroke. Because it is hidden under the shock and devestation of the reality. But boy oh boy when we find the new person we have become, its grand.
Thanks for your blessings
God Bless Mulchie

Old 10-12-2011, 07:09 AM   #6
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Dear Mulchie:
That is more than a success. It is a Triumph! I switched from turkey to a prime rib roast. I directed and the girls cooked. It was delish and we had a lovely time,too.We had squash and snap beans and roasted potatoes and little yorkshire puddings (PC)and summerberry pie. We did dinner on Sunday and there were lots of leftovers for the girls to share and take home. Like you we were all very thankful to be together and happy. No grandchild here but Jenn's kitten was here from Fri. night til Monday. Kathryn and her b/f had gone north to do a couple of jobs on the property there on Sat. so she came here Sun. morning. Jenn was adamant that Christmas would have turkey with mom's stuffing *we will see*. By now I would have a lot of my Christmas shopping done..ah well.

Very happy that you had such a good day!!
Thank you for sharing that GOOD story,
Love and blessings
Nancy

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
Mulchie (10-12-2011)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:15 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Hi Nancy
Yes it was a triumph and it gave me such encouragment of possibilies to come.
Your dinner sounds awesome. Prime rib wow what a great idea. You dont have to worry about stuffing , right on!!
Sounds like you had a blessed family get together.
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 10-12-2011 at 09:17 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
ennbee (10-29-2011)
Old 10-16-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
(male)

wilso2fc HB Userwilso2fc HB User

great story!
I remember being exhilarated after every milestone my first solo shower - boy was that a lesson in embarrassment! So many things we take for granted.
I was a bit confused though - I was thinking did I miss a whole month of time? Then I remembered that you were most likely referring to Canada's Thanksgiving! Had me scared for a moment!
Great job, and keep up the milestones!
Jon

Last edited by wilso2fc; 10-16-2011 at 08:46 AM. Reason: too many typos :)

The Following User Says Thank You to wilso2fc For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (10-16-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Dear Jon:

I laughed reading about your first solo shower. Mine came about when my care person didn't show up. I manged well except for getting back out of the bathroom. I even tried a 97 point turn to try getting my chair back out the door. It also meant dressing solo. Nearly strangled myself in my bra, We are in a big condo building so I was panicking that the smoke alarms would go off and a couple of firemen would rush in and I would have to ask them to help me get dressed. It all worked out but I was exhausted by the end of it.(btw no false alarm and no firemen) So I guess that made it a success.
I know what you mean about missing time. Every day is pretty much the same for me here. Today feels very autumnal so I know summer is gone and also Sept. but not looking forward to the snow starting to fall or the cold.
Blessings to you and all my stroke friends here
Nancy

Old 10-28-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
(female)

Babybuuumer HB User

Very nice story. WTG on the dinner.

I "assisted" my son on my first Thanksgiving meal 2 months after stroke ATTACK. There I was in the kitchen, in a wheelchair, one hand, using a chef knife while he held the stuff stable. Brave boy. It was a good holiday, considering.

The following user gives a hug of support to Babybuuumer:
Mulchie (10-28-2011)
Old 10-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Such determination. Wow congrats.
I laughed when you said "brave boy" What a trooper he was.
God Bless Mulchie

Closed Thread