It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2011, 08:08 AM   #1
(female)

marisavesp HB User
Mom's paralyzed hand and foot are swollen

My mom suffered a stroke (clot) on August 4th. Now at the end of October, her paralyzed left hand and left foot/leg are swollen. The rehab doctor can not give us a reason for this, but said she will monitor it. Is this normal, or is it something I should be worried about? I was concerned that she could have another clot in her body, although the doctor says that she can't since she is on blood thinners. What else could be causing this? Any help or insight would be great - should I ask to get another opinion?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: Mom's paralyzed hand and foot are swollen

hi, my affected left hand and foot also swelled up. mostly, I think due to lack of use? my OT. and PT would massage them to get the swelling down. today almost 19 years later my foot still swells some from time to time but not bad, my hand stays pretty loose and doesn't swell too much. I'd try to massage them, it feels good and the swelling goes down. just my experience I'm no expert or doctor.

good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #3
(female)

marisavesp HB User

Thanks Larry - I did ask my mom to mention it to her PT guy - we'll see if that works! Did you recover fully? It's hard to keep my mom motivated - she thinks she is going to stay like this forever. I hope she gets in a better frame of mind.....Thanks again, and God Bless!

Old 10-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello
I agree with Larry that the issue might be circulation from not being used. A second opinion is defenetly a good idea. If you are thinking of it then you have doubt that she is getting the right care so a second opinion never hurts.
Hello Im Mulchie and I am 16 months (I think ) in stroke recovery. The best advice I can give your mom is to stay positive, she will get better. How much and to what degree we are not sure but she will improve. Doctors tend to voice the opion of if it doesnt happen in the first 3 or 4 months its not going to happen and I can tell you that is "BULL" I am still recovering and I plan on continuing to improve. Additude is the best tool in recovery. Keep your mom positive and modivated. I know thats hard because having a stroke is scary and frightening and its like hitting a wall. Your life stops and everything that use to be is not. Remind your mom that after stroke her brain is swollen and it takes months for the swelling to go down. The swelling is causing some of the symptoms she is experiencing. It is a brand new life and it takes us awhile to accept it and think of it as a positive thing. We all fight the emotions and anxiety and depression it all seems part of the package. But if you can keep your mom filled with hope and positive thoughts it will defenetly help in her recovery. Tell her we are all cheering her on.
God Bless you for being such a good advocate for your mom. The care givers job is not an easy one. God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 10-27-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM   #5
(female)

marisavesp HB User
Smile Re: Mom's paralyzed hand and foot are swollen

Mulchie,
Thank you for your reply.....I'm trying very hard to keep her spirits up, but she has good days and bad days. I'm happy to hear that after 16 months you are still progressing - that is very good, and gives me hope! Yes, you are right in saying that our lives have changed dramatically, but I try to look on the bright side - it could have been ALOT worse - she could have lost her speech, be in a coma, or worse....have to keep thinking that way. My dad is not in the best of spirits either - seeing his wife of 54 years now totally dependent on others is not easy to take. It will get better, just need time. Thank you again for your response - it's lifted my spirits! God Bless!

Old 10-28-2011, 08:44 AM   #6
(female)

Babybuuumer HB User

Limbs often swell from non-use and compromised. I'm surprised your doctor didn't tell you that.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Oh Wow I was 54 when I had my stroke. Tell your mom I did ONE MILE on the treadmill today.
I know how your Dad is my husband was devistated and still asks me 20 times a day if I am OK Yikes!! My daughter has had several chats with him over the same thing Lighten up Dad. But in his defense it is a terrible worry and shock. His life came to a great hault that day I had my stroke . Just like your dad his life was greatly ultered that day.
Do they know what caused your mom's stroke?
Tell her not to give up hope. I will keep her in my prayers.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 10-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

elevating the limbs at rest can help...just a pillow or cushion. watch that the fingers don't start to curl in. I have 2 curled fingers that are very hard to straighten, my ring and pinkie fingers. I have a splint to try and prevent any further wrist and finger contractures and a device to put over the knuckle (primitive torture device in my opinion) PT had me use a whole bunch of pillows but the pillow fairy claimed them back after an hour or so and threw them all over the floor.

Closed Thread