It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User
Reading

on Hallowe'en I recived a Kindle from my hubby. I didn't even have to dress up, I do a pretty good Quasimodo as is. So I downloaded two books I had been waiting to read
Julia Fox Garrison's Don't Leave Me This Way (or you'll be sorry when I get better)

Peter Levine's Stronger After Stroke

Julia's was a very touching, account of her stroke, mis-diagnosis afterwards by Dr. Jerk, insurance battles, and her struggle to get back to being mom to her 3 year old, and wife to her Jim. Fall 7 times, but get back up again 8 times is a common theme. Some parts are quite funny, some very sad.

Peter's is very good, much more scientific. His theme seems to be work at your deficits 5-8 hours a day, and the harder the task the better for developing new brain pathways. It isn't difficult reading but daunting to put into practise. I have only read about a third of it so far. He knows his research but I don't think he has ever shared our experience.

Both books have a lot to offer. Julia's hope and inspiration, Peter's sound scientific research on the best therapies and how to get the most from therapy.

If you have read either and wish to agree/disagree jump in or suggest other books you enjoyed or learned from about stroke/

Blessings to you all as always
ennbee(Quasimodo)

Old 11-04-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: Reading

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for info. Was that doctor's name really Dr. Jerk? How appropriate. Not that I would every say such a thing to any of my doctors

It is funny that you called yourself Quasimodo. When I first got home from my stroke I called myself The Elephant Man It was just that my friends just looked at me so different and I always thought to myself "I am not an animal!"

The things we have to do to make ourselves laugh, when nobody else will!

Take care my friend,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Hello good friend Tim: No, that was her name for him. She had others fortunately that were not jerks although there was also a Dr. Gloom. If she didn't cry she was in Denial and if she did, she was Depressed.

I am not sure Quasimodo made me laugh but I am glad it brought a smile to your dial.

Take care, and blessings aways,

Nancy

Last edited by ennbee; 11-04-2011 at 12:45 PM.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #4
(male)

wilso2fc HB Userwilso2fc HB User

I have a kindle as well, have had it nearly 3 yrs now.. O have SO many books, its approaching the not funny point I generally stay away from medical stories and the like, as I just need to look at my own life for the same type of things.. I prefer the inane, uplifting, smiley stories
Cheers
Jon

Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso2fc View Post
I have a kindle as well, have had it nearly 3 yrs now.. I have SO many books, its approaching the not funny point I generally stay away from medical stories and the like, as I just need to look at my own life for the same type of things.. I prefer the inane, uplifting, smiley stories
Cheers
Jon
You don't have to buy more bookshelves or dust them !! I collect the cozy mysteries and the free or almost free classics. I just have to be careful how many I buy...it is so easy to say this one is almost finished I will just look at the next in the series and ******** the sample....Then I BUY it

Old 11-18-2011, 04:17 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso2fc View Post
I have a kindle as well, have had it nearly 3 yrs now.. I have SO many books, its approaching the not funny point I generally stay away from medical stories and the like, as I just need to look at my own life for the same type of things.. I prefer the inane, uplifting, smiley stories
Cheers
Jon
You don't have to buy more bookshelves or dust them !! I collect the cozy mysteries and the free or almost free classics. I just have to be careful how many I buy...it is so easy to say this one is almost finished I will just look at the next in the series and ******** the sample....Then I BUY it It is much easier to hold the kimble than a paperback and you never lose your place. I think the prices should be lower, no paper, no binding,no printing.. just a file transfer.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #7
(male)

wilso2fc HB Userwilso2fc HB User

I'm the worst..... I've been an avid reader since I was a toddler
I have 2 floor to ceiling bookshelves full of paper and hardbacks, and around 600 on my kindle
I used to get offers from amazon for free shipping, etc if I upgraded to a "special" account or some such, as I was spending around $200 a month on books
I, too, finally wised up and started on the free ones
You can get almost all of P.G. Wodehouse for free
very interesting author

Closed Thread