It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
(female)

nana50 HB User
Husband had a Hemmoragic Stroke/Brain Bleed

My husband is 51 years old, and has a history of high blood pressure. Since his company folded in 2009, we do not have medical insurance and could not afford his meds for it. On Oct 2nd this year, he had a mild stroke, then while in icu had a mild heart attack. He is on the mend, he had minimal damage that the dr's say will not be premenant. He starts PT soon, and is on his blood pressure meds due to the fact he was approved to attend a clinic ran by residents at the hospital where he was. My question/worry is this...since being home, I have kept close eye on his blood pressure with a home monitor, and made sure he gets all his med's on time and in the proper doses. He has had a very hard time sleeping, and even staying asleep if he is lucky enough to fall asleep once he goes to bed. Some nights he is up til 2 or 3 before he falls asleep, and then he sleeps til sometimes 11 am, gets up long enough to eat something, and then he is tired again, and usually goes back to sleep for 3 hours sometimes. My question is, "is this to be expected" after what his brain and body have been through? Will it improve once he starts his PT? The dr gave him something to help him sleep, but it really didnt seem to work, but in a way it did, but he still had trouble falling asleep at night, staying asleep, and then staying awake during the day. Any help will be appreciated! Thanks in advance! This has been a very trying and hard time, as I myself have had 5 T.I.A.'s, so I have to be careful with my health as well while I try to take care of him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Husband had a Hemmoragic Stroke/Brain Bleed

Dear Nana
I am so sorry to hear about your husband. But it sounds like his stroke was mild and he will recover. The symptoms of the sleep disturbance and sleeping during the day, in my opinion it is very normal for what he has gone through. Stroke recovery one thing I noticed was the exhaustion. Everyone I have talked to on this board seemed to have the same symptoms. The brain swells after the stroke and it takes time for the swelling to go down. Not to mention the heart attack. Those were two major attackes on his body so its not surprising his sleep is disturbed. It should get better with time.
Being a caregiver can be a tough job. Especially when you are trying to care for your health. Coming to this stroke board is a good thing and you will find many answers here. There is a vast amount of information here. Please let us know how you are doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Closed Thread