HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   Was it a stroke? Now seizures... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/883212-stroke-now-seizures.html)

Jennjennalyn 12-27-2011 08:26 PM

Was it a stroke? Now seizures...

Hello all and Merry belated Christmas! My dad will be 70 in January. He has been in the ICU since Dec 9 because of delirium during the end of his dialysis session. He was rushed to the ER because of that. Three MRIs and countless CT scans later, he is negative for stroke, infection. After a spinal tap, definitely negative for infection. Cytology is negative for cancer or malignancy. All the neurologists have been telling us is that there is inflammation on the left frontal lobe or luminar side and MRI shows cloudiness on left frontal lobe. His right side is flacid and weak, you would almost think he is paralyzed. Right now and since he has been in the hospital, he has not been been fully awake or conscience. He is on a feeding tube and is basically semi-comatose. To add to all this, we feel the the hospital was giving unessary dosages of Ativan via IV because of possible seizures. These seisures were facial twitching. We changed hospitals this past week with minimal progress orimprovement on my dad. Just the day before all this happened, he was fine, talking, walking, laughing, eating, but complaining of a bad headache. I just wanted to know if there is anyone out there that may have an idea what may be going on.

Just a little background... He has been on dialysis for 1yr and 9mos. In 2003, he had 5 bypass surgery on his heart. He has been in good spirits since then. Ay insights are appreciated.

Positive Cynic 12-28-2011 09:35 AM

Re: Was it a stroke? Now seizures...

Hi Jennalyn,
I am so sorry to hear about your father. I know that the uncertainty is very hard to deal with. I know you are worried and that is understandable so I hope I can ease your mind a little. Quickly about me - I had a major stroke in 2010 and this year I was diagnosed with epilepsy as a symptom from my stroke, so all of those tests your father has been through I am very aware with. It sounds like a stroke is out because of all the tests. In my case the stroke was easily seen as a black spot on my brain from an MRI. People can have TIA's (mini strokes) that do not show on MRI film, but are a warning of a major stroke. And even TIA's can cause temporary confusion and paralysis.

From what you wrote, in my opinion your father may have the onset of epilepsy. I am not a doctor obviously, but I have learned a lot through my own experiences. The good thing is that it is found early. For you, I would not be worried about the Ativan they are giving to him. I am sure he must be sedated while they are trying to figure out what is wrong. They don't want him to have a grand mal seizure. He will hurt himself even in the hospital if that happens. Apparently epilepsy is a hard thing to diagnose. I had 4 grand mal seizures 3 trips to ER and weeks of hospital stays and tests until a neurologist finally figured out I have epilepsy and it was caused by me stroke.
Now I am on medication that control my seizures. They are very strong can make me spaced out at times, but I am getting used to it.

As far as your father goes. Find a good neurologist. That is the only way that I finally go some results and satisfaction after seeing dozens of different kinds of doctors. Even that neurologist took months to find a diagnoses of epilepsy, but he is the only Dr. that finally got it right. When dealing with the brain there a so many variables, that you really have to find the best one that knows what he is talking about. About the Ativan. My doctor gave me a very strong script. Not to take everyday, but have with me all the time and if a feel a seizure coming on to take it, if there is not water, just chew it. And you know I have had to use it a few times. They are called triggers that warn you before a seizure. A trigger could be anything to each person. Mine, I start feeling dizzy and I can't talk. I try to talk, but it is like my brain is frozen. Some other ones I have heard are tastes of rhubarb, smelling like something burning, or listening to music that isn't there. Your dad's headache could have been a trigger too. Can you ask him if he remembers anything unusual before his seizure? Like a taste or smell? That may help pinpoint things down if that is the case.

Jennalyn, I am not saying he has epilepsy at all. I don't know. Just some of the things you wrote sounded very similar to some things that have happened to me. Whatever happens I wish you well and you father as well. I hope you get some resolve soon. Let me know if I can help, and I will try if I can.
God Bless,
Tim :wave:

Jennjennalyn 12-28-2011 12:24 PM

Thank you so much for the insight. Good to know what other people have gone through and seeing how you handled your situation gives me comfort.

What sucks the most out of all of this is that my dad hasn't been alert or fully conscious since Dec 9, so there's no real way to get any verbal feedback from him. The only activity he has right now is when he opens his eyes for a minute or two then goes back to sleep.

We are trying to get him to another neurologist, meaning another hospital change. Thank you again for sharing your story. God bless and take care!

Jenn

Positive Cynic 12-28-2011 01:13 PM

Your very welcome Jenn,
I will send you some warm and positive vibes and prayer through this trial. Please write if you need to just to someone to listen or vent or whatever it is. This is a good board of friends and understanding people.
Tim