It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
(female)

K8S HB User
Post-stroke nerve pain

I am 8 months post-stroke and have recovered most of my mobility and can function normally in most of my daily activities with minor adaptations. At about 5 months post-stroke I developed nerve pain on most of the left side of my body. It feels like "pins and needles" of the worse kind constantly. I have been prescibed 'nortriptyline' by my physiatrist. We haven't got the dosage correct yet but I do get some relief (lessening of intensity) for short periods of time. I would like to know if anyone else has suffered this type of pain after a stroke, their treatment and how long have they suffered with and if it eventually went away?

Old 01-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Post-stroke nerve pain

Hello and WELCOME
I read your other post and Im so glad I was able to help. You are very early in your stroke recovery and I do know my nerve pain intensified with my activity. I have learned a balance and it has made a terrific difference. The nerve pain is very agrivating. Does it keep you up at night? Mine would start shortly after I went to bed at night.
I hope you find some answers you certainly came to the right place. Everyone here knows exactly how you feel. Even though our symptoms may be different there is a common thread between us all. Make sure you come here often.
Let us know how you are doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 01-01-2012 at 03:44 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #3
(male)

john 876 HB User
Re: Post-stroke nerve pain

On January 2, 2010, I stepped out of the bathroom, felt dizzy enough to hold onto a bookshelf and then felt a pain begin at the top of my head, on the left side scalp and move in a wave, like the wind in a wheat field, down my left side to my toes in a few seconds, a cold pain of pins and needles w/ stiffness that has not changed to this day. My only relief has been two 50mg Tramadol w/three 100mg Gabapentin four times a day, decreasing intensity of the pain by about 25%. I tried marijuana once but it had no effect on the pain. It just got me stoned, but it did not intensify the pain as I expect LSD might. I don't know. I had experience w/some of these drugs in the 1960's, but those applications did not involve pain.
I am also diabetic w/severe nerve pain but no doctor of the six who have seen me has prescribed anything for the stroke pain, only Gabapentin for the nerve pain in my feet and legs below the knee. I keep my blood sugar around 100 now w/Metformin at each meal. I am careful about too low blood sugar.
The Tramadol was my idea, but none of the doctors I have seen likes the idea of Tramadol. I expect the one who prescribed it to cut me off. They all think it's a dangerous drug and, though they did not show me the two MRI's done on me, one year apart, I think they do not believe me about the stroke pain. My guess is it doesn't register on MRI but I don't know how that works.
W/Tramadol the pain is only bearable but nothing so far has removed it. This pain is constant and the only time I do not feel it is when I'm asleep. In the morning, it is still there and I need my dosage immediately. It lessens the intensity in a half hour or so. The rest of the day I must endure the pain in my left arm and face. W/o my dosage, the pain is unbearable, very sharp.
The pain in my feet makes walking painful. My feet feel swollen but they're not, just painfully tender. These two years, I've taken almost no exercise. I am much thinner than I was, down to 160 from 190, at 6'1". Except for these pains, I am in excellent health, 110/35, but my vision is blurring. The stroke knocked my left eye an eighth of an inch off, so I see things slightly double and new glasses did not change this. I have been near sighted since youth.
So, I have two pains, my left arm and face from the stroke, and both feet from the nerve damage that seems to be getting slowly worse. The nerve pain in my left foot seems to cover the stroke pain in my left foot, so there are two pains in one place which is a little confusing. My feet feel the same pain yet there is stroke pain in my left foot that is not in my right foot. In my left calf and shin, I can feel the sharp stroke pain w/the softer nerve pain in my left leg. In my right leg, I can feel only the softer nerve pain. The only normal part of me now is my right arm and my right face.
Since the stroke occurred, if that's what it was, I have achieved orgasm twice, both times w/o an erection, which I didn't know was possible.
Tramadol softens both pains but they do not go away. More Gabapentin that one doctor wants me to take just makes me drunk.It has no affect on the pain, but a little Gabapentin taken w/the Tramadol seems to make the Tramadol last a little longer. This is my situation.

Closed Thread