It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

lolewis HB User
stroke questions

I am a 48 year old female who had a TIA at the end of October, 2011. When I was admitted to the hospital the CT scan showed an "old infarct" and the MRI showed 3 previous strokes. The neurologist even questioned a 4th. Initially, they thought I might have antiphospholipid syndrome as I had 3 previous miscarriages and my ANA was positive (though weakly). All bloodwork came back normal. The only risk factor I had was hypertension but the neurologist felt it was not high enough to cause a stroke. Often, my BP is actually too low. I was put on aspirin but had another possible TIA a month later though they are not sure. When I went to see the neurologist for my first follow up the week before Christmas, he said that if it happened again, I should start Plavix, be admitted and have the full work up again because of my age. He also is sending me for a bloodtest for CADASIL. I looked it up and was quite upset and scared. I don't think I have it as it is genetic and I don't know of anyone in my family with it. He said I don't need yearly MRI's because it would just stress me out when they couldn't do anything anyway.
I feel like a freak having had so many strokes/TIA's at my age and no one including my family doctor seem to even know what to say to me. I feel like a walking time bomb and often wonder if I will even see next Christmas. I am also having a hard time believing that it was caused by my blood pressure but there does not seem to be any other cause. I have been investigated for the last 4 years for shortness of breath, cough and dizziness with no diagnosis and never expected to have a stroke. I expected many other things but not this. I wonder if it may all be connected.
Do you think just one aspirin a day is enough? Has had anyone else had a similar story to mine? How do you deal with it if they are not sure of the cause so therefore can't treat it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
(female)

knkdouglas HB User
Re: stroke questions

Hello there.

I had a stroke on Dec 17. I'm 35. I'm trying to figure it all out myself and feel very out of sorts and when I have to tell someone what happened to me...I feel crazy.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Welcome to the stroke board family.
I had a stroke 19 months ago and during my MRI they found out i had two strokes. My advice to you is insist on good care. Do not settle for "I dont know" this is your life and your brain they are foolin with and you deserve an answer. Doctors like to fire out all these diagnosis they THINK you might have and then send you home to fret over it while they take their time getting the tests done. Totally unfair. If you are not getting answers then change doctors. You deserve the best care and sometimes its necessary for us to yell to get it. I am on asprin and a blood pressure drug . My blood pressure has always been normal infact 3 months before my second stroke I had a phsical and my b/p was terrific. They say the drug is a stroke preventive drug. So I take it.
If you dont mind my asking, because of your miscarages were you ever on hormone therapy? Because it is being blamed for stroke and the warnings about hormone therapy are scary.
Again my only advice to you is yell hollar and scream if you have to but get these doctors to sit up and take note. You deserve their attention and their best care.
Please keep us informed how your doing. God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 01-04-2012 at 07:03 PM.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:55 AM   #4
(female)

lolewis HB User

I never took any hormone therapy. I guess we all want to know the reason so we can try to fix it. Some days are better than others. I know when I was in the hospital, some of the nurses commented that it was so nice to have someone so young on the floor! Not for me! Everytime I forget something or drop something or have an ache some where I wonder if it is from damage from the strokes when it is probably perfectly normal. It certainly helps to talk to people who have been there.

The following user gives a hug of support to lolewis:
Mulchie (01-05-2012)
Old 01-05-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Yes it does make us look at everything differently. It seems we put ourselves under this critial eye watching everything we are doing. Your right some things are from the stroke but many are things we always did and never took notice. My family use to love constantly reminding me NO YOU WERE ALWAYS LIKE THAT. Im not sure but it didnt always come off as a compliment. LOL
I pray you find the answers you need to continue on in your life. Remember God saved you for a reason. You are still here for a reason. Start every day remembering that and wonder what fantastic job he still wants you to do. Stay positive and determined to find your answers. Remember, your worth it.
God Bless Mulchie

Closed Thread