It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
(female)

grayfox HB Usergrayfox HB Usergrayfox HB User
Question Has anyone had a carotid endarterectomy?

Hi,

About six weeks ago I had a temporary vision loss in my right eye. After going to my doctor, he ordered a carotid ultrasound. The results were that I have a stenosis between 50-69% in my right internal carotid artery and I should consult with a cardiologist, which I did. The cardiologist did a second ultrasound to confirm the accuracy of the first ultrasound. The results were the same. I will be having a carotid endarterectomy on January 26.

If anyone has had a carotid endarterectomy, I would greatly appreciate any responses. I am a 64 year old female with chronic kidney disease, stage 4, and I am concerned about having this procedure. The cardiologist has assured me that the risk of a stroke is minimal.

Thanks again for any responses.

Grayfox

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: grayfox
anniebythelake (02-08-2012), Mulchie (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 05:08 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Has anyone had a carotid endarterectomy?

Dear Grayfox
Im so sorry the trouble you are having. I am not much help to you because I do not know anything of that proceedure. I would think however that clearing the arteries will be a good thing for both your heart and kidneys. I have heard many times people say after a proceedure they feel more energy, stronger.
I wish I could help more however I will whisper a prayer for you. I hope someone a little more knowledgable will answer your post. Take care and God Bless
Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
grayfox (01-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
(female)

Hi Mulchie,

Thanks so much for your response. I have also heard that sometimes after a procedure people feel more energy. Thank you for your prayer and concern. I need all the support I can get. My husband is always there for me in everything we do and all my health issues.

I'm hoping someone will post that has been through this surgery too. It really helps to hear from someone who has experienced the same procedure. I will post after my surgery and let you know how I made out.

Grayfox

The following user gives a hug of support to grayfox:
Mulchie (01-17-2012)
Old 01-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #4
(female)

caillou57 HB User

Hi there,

I had a carotid surgery last year I am 57 female and everything went well. My left carotid was 98% blocked ... please let me know how`s everything after you surgery.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
(female)

Hi,

I had my surgery on January 26 and was released on January 27. The surgery was successful, but I had complications that included extremely high blood pressure and damage to my throat from the breathing tube. I have suffered more pain in my throat than from the incision in my neck. I feel total pain when I eat or drink anything.

When I was released I was told to keep close track on my blood pressure. Last night my blood pressure spiked to 226/92 with a pulse of 107. My normal blood pressure is 105/59 with a pulse of 60. I was taken by ambulance to the hospital where I was monitored for most of the night. My blood pressure medications have been increased and hopefully the pressure will return to normal. The doctor said that after this type of surgery, it can be difficult to regulate blood pressure.

I have a followup appointment in two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Grayfox

Old 01-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hi, I am Janet and another stoke survivor. While I do not have any experience with your situation, I do want to offer you my support as you go through this difficult time in your life.

We are all behind you, and I am so happy you have found others that have similar experiences.

Best wishes to you,

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
grayfox (01-30-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
(female)

Smile Re: Has anyone had a carotid endarterectomy?

Hi Janet,

Sorry I didn't get right back to you, I'm extremely tired and slowly recovering from the surgery. I really appreciate your offering support as others have also done. I'm still having blood pressure issues but hopefully my high blood pressure readings will eventually return to normal.

I hope you are recovering from your recent fall. You must have been in terrible pain. I can't imagine how painful it must have been injuring your ribs and puncturing your lung.

Please let us know your progress and if we can help in any way. Yes, we are all here to support each other.

Best to you,
Grayfox

Old 01-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Grayfox,

I certainly understand how tired you must be, and rest comes first. I wish your recovery to be as smooth as possible.

We are all here to support each other, and that is the beauty of this place. Isn't it amazing what we can do for others, just by listening and offering a word or two of comfort.

I can really relate to the blood pressure issues, That was the cause of my 4 strokes, and I know how scary it can be to see your numbers climb up that high. Thank goodness we have such good medications to treat hbp, and good doctors who know just how to mix and match them for best results.

Your surgery sounds like it was really rough. The breathing tube is such a painful thing, I know. I had to have a chest tube put in for four days, and that was more painful than the broken ribs and all the rest of it. So we have something in common, the cure being worse than the problem!

These things are behind us now, and lets hope the road to recovery is smooth and gentle,

your friend, Janet

Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
(female)

claraclownie HB User

I had a left carotid endarterectomy on 1/10. My procedure was through my neck. Post surgery I was in ICU overnight for low blood pressure. My throat was very sore and coughed up a lot of blood. I could barely eat after the procedure for several days and the drains were removed the next morning when I was released. My wound has recovered nicely and scar creme seems to help. One month after, I still have swelling in my next and some tenderness. I am very tired but that may be from the stroke. I go back to the surgeon in 3 months when they check the blood flow to my brain. BTW the nurses said I might get headaches because I was getting much more blood to my brain. Didn't happen to me but I guess it is commorn.

The following user gives a hug of support to claraclownie:
grayfox (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
(female)

Hi everyone,

It has been almost two weeks since my surgery. I am still having trouble swallowing, and I am having pain where the incision was made to remove the plaque. The steri strips have loosened somewhat but are still intact. I go for my checkup with the surgeon next week. I will be glad to have the strips removed. I haven't seen the incision yet.

After surgery I became moderately anemic because of considerable blood loss. I have been extremely tired. I have been taking a multivitamin with iron and my hemoglobin is almost to the normal range.

Thanks to everyone who has sent a reply. I was hoping to feel better than I do, but I guess everyone heals at a different rate. I only have one kidney which is impaired, and my doctor told me recovery will be slower than with someone who has two healthy kidneys.

Grayfox

Old 02-08-2012, 02:26 PM   #11
(female)

caillou57 HB User

Hi Grayfox my name is Lorraine , (excuse my english writing I am french canadian from Montreal.
I must admit I had no problem swallowing after the surgery. My biggest problem was my high blood pressure and a lack of vitamine B12. Even after a year I still have high b pressure. Make sure you hide your neck from the sun for at least one year . I have put vitamine E on the incision every day and it no longer shows..

The Following User Says Thank You to caillou57 For This Useful Post:
grayfox (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #12
(female)

claraclownie HB User

Sorry to hear that your recovery is slower. Everyone is different. Mine was very quick. Doctor let me drive three days after surgery because I was off the pain killers and I could turn my head. But I had no other health issues. No matter how long it takes to recover, you will feel a sense of relief that the Doc's were able to find the cause of your stroke and correct it. I feel very sorry for some of the fellow board participants who don't have a reason for their stroke. They seem to have a cloud of uncertainty about why and when they will suffer another.

The Following User Says Thank You to claraclownie For This Useful Post:
redjb7 (08-22-2012)
Closed Thread