It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
(female)

mhart HB Usermhart HB User
Re: Had a stroke on Christmas Day need help PLEASE

Hi, today I went for a BP check at my primary and it was 140/80 yet I had it done 2 days ago at other docs office and it was 130/78. So now my primary just doubled up one of my bp meds. I'm starting to wonder if they know what they are doing. Now I am on 3 bp meds when not that long ago, I was hardly on any. I take 100 mg losartin, 5 mg amlopidine, and now 100 mg of metoprolol. what the heck is going on? I'm really frightened...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Dear mhart
Its so important to control your b/p. The blood pressure meds are stroke prevention drugs. Keeping your b/p down is extremely important. Your life has been turned upside down. Your anxiety level is up your upset. There are many reason why that B/P would be elevated. It is a good thing they are on top of it. When the dust settles and you are not so close to the shock of it all, And you begin to embrase this new life and the changes it has brought with it you will calm yourself and thats when your B/P will come down. But for now they dont want to take any chances and thats a good thing. They are looking out for your best interest in controling that B/P
Have you ever done yoga. I was given a wonderful opportunity to learn some tecniques through a relative of my sister. This darling lady showed me how to relax and bring my body to a more peaceful state. Very good for the blood pressure and the nerves. All the ones she showed me were done in a chair because I couldnt stand I had no balance. Put on some beautiful music and just sit in the quiet.
Try not to worry. God Bless Mulchie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2012, 08:37 AM   #18
(female)

Thank you again Mulchie! You are such a blessing to me. It calms me down just hearing from you. I will try hard to calm down.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhart View Post
Thank you again Mulchie! You are such a blessing to me. It calms me down just hearing from you. I will try hard to calm down.
Your going to be ok Hang in there
God Bless Mulchie

Old 01-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #20
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello there,

I am Janet, and I have been away for awhile, which is why I am coming in late here..I would like to join in on this conversation and offer you my support and understanding. I am another stroke survivor, who like the others, completely understand what you are going through, Although my strokes were nine years ago, I can remember the feelings you are having as if it were yesterday. Funny how we can forget so much but remember the really important things to us.

I would like to encourage you to try and step back, and look at the big picture. Stroke recovery is a very long process, and an amazing one too. Our brains have the ability to repair the damage that has been caused, but it takes a long time.. and in the mean time, many of your regular functions have to be shut down to allow for the repairs to be made. During that time, things can be so unsettling and downright scary. If you can put trust into your brain to be doing its very best for you, perhaps you can take some of the fear out of it. You will get better. Your thoughts will return to normal.

I encourage you to use this time to do some different things. Take this time to really look at things differently...quiet your mind, and see the little things around you. Surround yourself with things you love to look at, pictures, your kids things, memories. My strokes left me with so much appreciation for the little things in life, because I was so close to loosing those things forever.

I also suggest keeping a little notebook at your side, to write down all the things you appreciate. This gives you such a good feeling, both in the writing of the things, and again in the reading over the list later. Keep your mind on the positive, there are so many. Spend lots of time with your kids, reading to them or playing games, just talking with them, Make phone calls to those you have not spoken to for a long time. Anything you can do to keep your mind in the positive direction.

There will always be the "what if's" but with nothing that can be done about them, they are not good for us to dwell on. YOur fears are normal, but keep them at bay, because you are very lucky to be here with little physical damage. So many of our other stroke family members do not have that luxury, but we all have a choice on how it will leave us mentally. Use it as an amazing event in your life that changed you forever, in a good way. Believe it or not, many of us here feel that our strokes left us as way better people, happier, and grateful.

Although this might seem like pretty lofty thoughts and I only want you to consider them. It is so hard when you are right in the middle of the early stages of recovery, I know that, but you can get a jump start by starting these things early, making you recovery all that much easier and less scary.

You will be ok, and we will be here to understand all the ups and downs on the way. My best to you...

janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
mhart (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #21
(female)

writeleft, thank you so much for your post. it gives me such comfort to read that my feelings are normal. All my tingles and pains scare me so much right now. tomorrow I am headed to Boston for a second opinion on everything. I am looking for some peace and reassurance (which I may not be able to get from anyone else but myself). did you feel tingles and weird feelings for a while afterwards?? thanks so much !

Old 02-01-2012, 12:21 AM   #22
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

You are so welcome, and yes, I did experience the pins and needles, and odd aches and pains for sometime. They did fade away, as did all the other issues that came from my strokes. Coming back from all the serious things that I did, took lots of time and patience. Little by little, things slowly got better, and one day I found my self free of the weird and bothersome things that had me so worried for so long.

I did end up with some medical issues that have not left me, but they are all things that I have had treated and am living with quite well. We are all so different, but in many ways quite similar. One thing we all share is the fear in the early days that we will never be the same again. While I cannot say I am the same now, I love the way I am different now. I am a much better person, and for that I am a happier person. I hope your stroke leaves you with the same feeling.

About, your second opinion today (it is tomorrow in Boston) I am very anxious to hear what you learn. I wish you well as you seek information from another doctor. Please fill us in when you get back.

my best to you...
Janet

Old 02-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #23
(female)

Hi All, Went for second opinion, they took 17 vials of blood for tests and sent me for a CT scan with dye which I did today and they also hooked me up with a heart monitor for 48 hours. I think they are trying to rule things out and figure out what happened. I think they are still leaning towards a spike in BP. Remember stroke was on Christmas Day, but I am still having tingles and headaches etc. and some little shock type feelings. The doctor I just saw was very thorough. My first neurologist told me that 1 month was important milestone for stroke survivors and this new doc told me it is really 6 months. That was a little upsetting. I thought I was somewhat safer now. Anyway, he seemed to be saying that if all these latest tests come out okay, and if I keep losing weight and getting fit like I have been (23 pounds so far) and taking my meds, that in 6 months or so I should be well on my way to renewed health. I am trying my best to be strong and wait for my results and not worry so hard. Thank you all for being there for me so far. You are all wonderful!!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
(female)

idatdamboise HB User
Smile Re: Had a stroke on Christmas Day need help PLEASE

I am so sorry to hear about your stroke and at age 56 so young! I am terrified of having a stroke, I am a female age 55, weigh 122lbs, but I have dangerously high cholesterol levels inherited from my Mom. She had 3 strokes, 3 open heart surgeries, blood clots in her leg and died at 66. My brother also died at age 33 after 2 major heart attacks all due to elevated cholestero levels. Several first cousins all died very young, and my young first cousin just had a stroke last year at age 42.
I was on Statin medications for 20 plus years until they caused me much pain and muscle weakness; I can no longer take them so right now I feel like a ticking time bomb and don't know from one day to the next what might happen. I know a stroke would be the worst thing from what I watched my Mom go through it was terrible. She got to the point where she could no longer swallow, talk or think normal.
I do hope the best for you and that they can find the source of your stroke and help you. It's good that you're getting a second opinion. God bless and good luck! I'll say a prayer for you! Keep your head up!

The following user gives a hug of support to idatdamboise:
mhart (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:04 PM   #25
(female)

ennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB Userennbee HB User

Dear mhart..I too hd a doctor appt.yestrday but in my case my bp was a bit low and she took me off one med. My bp drops when I stand up so we will see if not being on the ace inhibitor matters (it was a very low dose). If my bp starts going up we will start it again.

She also suggested that we look at mobility scooters to afford me more independence, so I can get outside on my own etc. I think a candy apple red one would suit me

Blessings as you travel these early turbulent months
Nancy
It WILL get better !!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to ennbee:
mhart (02-07-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #26
(female)

dear ennbee, thanks for your support. I say go for the red scooter for sure!! my bp was 137 over 66. I've never been 66 before. Thanks for the blessings and same to you.

The Following User Says Thank You to mhart For This Useful Post:
ennbee (02-08-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #27
Inactive
(female)

Great your being tested. Im glad your second opinion worked out for the better. It sounds like your doing a great job in stroke prevention and recovery. Keep up the good work and let us know how your doing.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 02-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #28
(female)

thank you Mulchie! I hope to have some more answers by week's end. I am doing my best. Still scared and nervous, but hanging in there. God Bless you as well.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #29
(female)

anniebythelake HB User

On Christmas day 2007, my husband of only two days had a stroke and did not remember me ...... his was also left side, did yours affect speach, memory, cognitive?
He also had ALOT of anxiety the first year, I finally got him on some antidepressants after 6 months, and it seemed to help a little, but he really just had to work through it. He tossed and turned all night long, jerked in his sleep, woke up in a sweat, and said his mind would not be still. He also had numbness and felt electrical shocks in his arms and legs. He took some xanax sometimes to help sleep, and help anxiety, but he hated taking any meds.
What I can also tell you is that it's now been four years, and those symptoms have gone, it just takes time, we also went to a counselor together to learn how to communicate better, since this was all new to us. One VERY important thing that helped him was being diagnosed with sleep Apnea, and he now uses a CPAP machine at night, it has worked wonders because now he wakes up rested, and new studies show that people with sleep apnea suffer strokes more than not.
You WILL get through this, and sounds like you have a nice family standing by you. Stick together, and try not to be afraid, if you believe in God then Pray, it helps to talk things out. It has been a long road for me and my husband, and they told him that after the first year if you still have these symptoms that they are permanent, that's not true, because it took my husband longer than that, and he is ok. The only things that plague him now is a bit of a sometimes speach problem, and a slower reaction time, and slower reading. But he has his life back, and the anxiety over it is gone. The first 6 months after he was always worried about having another stroke, and I was worried for him, I think it just takes time to relax that worry.
You are going to be ok, you WILL get through this, be strong, everything will work out..... it's normal to feel that worry..... we did too..... and it all worked out..... Take care and God Bless....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anniebythelake For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (02-16-2012), Mulchie (02-08-2012)
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM   #30
(female)

Anniebythelake, What a wonderful post. It makes me feel so much better knowing these feelings are normal. Amazing that his was Christmas Day as well. It's a real coincidence that you mention the sleep apnea. I just did an overnight test with an oximeter on my finger and the results said my oxygen level at night went down to the mid 80's (?) they suggested I go for a sleep apnea study. However, my neurologist told me to put the sleep apnea thing on the back burner because losing weight would lessen that greatly (?) now I'm confused with what to do. He says it ads to my stress level to worry about that now.

Everyone on this sight is so wonderful, you are the only ones that understand my feelings of worry and fear and I thank you all so much! Just a note Anniebythelake, My mom's name was Annie. I wish I could explain to my children (22, and 30) and my husband how I feel on the inside right now. Thanks again.

The Following User Says Thank You to mhart For This Useful Post:
anniebythelake (02-08-2012)
Closed Thread