HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   Had a stroke on Christmas Day need help PLEASE (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/886891-had-stroke-christmas-day-need-help-please.html)

mhart 01-24-2012 03:03 PM

Had a stroke on Christmas Day need help PLEASE

I am a 56 yr old female spec educ teacher and while home with my family opening gifts Christmas morning I suffered a stroke. It has been a terrible shock to me and my husband and 2 children. They could not find the source of the stroke. The said I had 3 bloodclots in my brain. It affected my left side but I am lucky enough to have regained 100% use on my left side, there are no lasting physical effects but the emotional, mental, and other effects are terrifying me. I am truly scared. Everything I feel I think is another stroke coming on. They ran every test and could not find what caused it. They are blaming a possible sudden spike in BP. I was on BP meds already and am overweight. I was counting on my neurology appt to answer so many questions and hoping it would ease my mind somewhat, but it didn't. She (dr.) spent almost the entire appt. on her laptop and then told me how lucky I was to have to lasting effects and how much worse other people were.

Now I am feeling so many weird things in my body and don't know what's normal. I still feel tingling and numbness at times and now I am noticing something that almost feels like little electrical shocks??? Someone please help. Next week I have an appt in Boston for a 2nd opinion hoping it may help my overwhelming fears. Can anyone help?? Thanks you so much in advance for your time .

Mulchie 01-24-2012 08:34 PM

Re: Had a stroke on Christmas Day need help PLEASE

Welcome to our family of stroke surviors. You have come to the right place. Everyone here knows exactly how you feel because we have been through it.
I am so sorry you suffered a stroke and yes it scares us and our family. All of what you are feeling is normal and you deserve some answers. My neurologist did the same thing spent all the time on his laptop and repeated over and over how lucky I was. Im scared half out of my mind and I sure wasnt feeling lucky. Im glad you are getting a second opinion. Thats what I did and I was very glad I did. You deserve better treatment than that.
Im glad your left side has gained normal function. I have heard many people describe the tingling and numbness you describe. Hopefully you will hear from them. I did not experience any tingling or numbness. I had nerve pain in my leg and hip for quite some time but it has gotten better.
I had my stroke 19 months ago I was 54 when I had it. It effected my right side, gave me drop foot, hand tremor, unable to multi task, perifial vision problems, weak right side, unable to do math, can't drive, can't work. They have no idea why I had my stroke either. They think it might be the medication I was on at the time. It has been a long road but I have constantly improved. Many doctors will tell you if your not improved in the first 3 to 4 months then you wont improve any further. That is just not true. I am still improving and I will continue to improve for as long as it takes. It is normal to be tired, confused and scared. Your poor brain has taken a hit and it takes a while for the swelling to go down. Be kind to yourself, rest when you need to and know that you will get better. You are only a few weeks in stroke recovery and it takes time. Please continue to demand answers because you deserve it. Good luck at your appointment and please let us know how you made out. Keep posting, keep asking questions on the board. Many many people read the posts and anyone who can help you, will.
God Bless Mulchie

Positive Cynic 01-25-2012 04:25 PM

Hi mHart,
I know exactly who scared you are. A stroke is quite an amazing something to happen to you that nobody every had it that could not understand. That is why my typing isn't right, but I know you get it. That being said, please don't worry about having another stroke. I don't think you will. I am not a doctor, but try not to worry. A stroke happens to anyone, young, old, healthy and not healthy. It really doesn't matter. I am amazed at how many people that are healthy that had a stroke. So you had one. Now move on. I am sorry my friend, but that is the cold fact. I don't say this often and I have been on here for 2 years. But I can tell you are a fighter. So just get through it. What ever it takes. i have no idea, but I did it and so did Mulchie and a lot of others.

Look MHart. I hope I am not harsh. But you found a good place and we can help you get through it. It is very scary. I know. but on the other side of you stroke is a happiness you never knew. There are a lot of people that stay there in self pity. But the ones that get over that hurdle are the winners. And I know that you are one of the winners.
God Bless,
Tim :wave:

mhart 01-25-2012 04:54 PM

thank you so much for the replies! I am trying very hard to get on with it. Next week is my second opinion appt. Today they sent me to a Sleep Clinic for a "consultation" they want me to go to a sleep clinic to see if I have sleep apnea. I think they are looking for something to blame the stroke on. I think it was blood pressure even though I was on meds. I am overweight and should have known better.

Does anyone report having little shock feelings like electrical shocks in their arms/legs?? or is it just me. It is so nice to talk with others who have the same fears. Thanks for all your help.

P.S. you are not harsh, just realistic. :)

Dtom 01-25-2012 09:31 PM

Though I have never experienced a stroke I have had those Electrical shocks you talked about. I also am no doctor but I have done a lot of research and if you look into anxiety you will find those "shocks" or "pulses" as some of the symptoms. I have been diagnosed with both anxiety and hypoglycemia. A lot of the time I find my anxiety is brought on by have obsessive thoughts of "when is my next attack going to occur" or "that felt strange there is something terribly wrong with me". Another thing that has helped me cope is exercise. While working out 3-4 times a week I had no symptoms of anxiety. I hope this has helped. My prayers go out to you. Keep your head up :)

goingtorun 01-26-2012 01:54 AM

G’day mhart,
Hope you are as well as can be. At the age of 54 I suffered a clot in the brain stem it was the 18/03/2010, it was pretty nasty. My wife was told “if he lives, he’ll never walk”. Well I’m walking and driving now, the walk isn’t very pretty but I’m working on it. I was considered fit and healthy for my age; there was no real physical reason for me to have a stroke, although I was under a lot of pressure for 6 years relating to my business. Some people would say to me “ I know how you feel” well with all due respect, unless its happen to them they don’t have a clue how it feels. Scary is an understatement, your whole world is turn upside down in a split second.
I worry about everything and anything, e.g. I’m always worried of being late, so much so, that if I’m 30 minutes early I consider myself late, and my family always joke about it. I even learned not worry much about having a second stroke. Just take all your meds and do your exercises daily never miss a day. You are not able to do more than that, and worrying is not going to help. Look where it got me.
I do suffer some physical effects down the right side of my body. I have most of my movement back, although very weak as compared to what I used to be like, but that’s cool. I have total numbness down the entire right side of my body; no one has been able to give me any information on when, or if it will get any better. As far as the electrical shocks go the closest thing I experienced to that was muscle twitching, but that has stopped since I grained more movement. Like you I’m finding it very hard to control my emotions. I cry and laugh at a drop of a hat, and when I start there’s no stopping me, and I’m very loud. I can’t go to any type of function fearing how I’m going to react, it’s very embarrassing. Maybe someone out there can help out.
You soon learn that all strokes are different, and there is no normal. I learnt very early in the on, you cannot play the comparison game, everyone is different. You just have to do the very best you can. No one can tell you have you’re going to end up; you have to rely on your own metal.
It’s good you’re seeking a second opinion, be sure to write back whenever you feel like. All the best.
George

ennbee 01-26-2012 06:53 AM

Dear mhart:
Welcome to our group of heroes and heroic caregivers :) What a tragic time to have a stroke. My stroke was December 2010 so this past Christmas was my 2nd Christmas. I am very glad to hear you are getting your left side back. My left arm is still pretty useless but my left leg has improved. I don't get the tingling and "shock" feelings but others do. I still need lots of sleep at night or I am like a bear being wakened from hibernation too early.
Yes you will have scarey thoughts but try to look beyond them to the new future you will be building. My stroke was caused by a very large clot, not overweight, blood pressure low to normal (no heart issues) so the cause of mine is unknown.

Join us here any time with any concerns, frustrations or just to blow off steam.
Blessings:angel:
Nancy

Mulchie 01-26-2012 08:44 AM

They did the same with me, sleep clinic, 24 hour B/P clinic ultra sounds tests stress tests etc etc etc. Its not that I dont appreciate the care and the tests its just I got the same feeling they are grabbing at straws trying to find a reason for my stroke. They are now blaming it on the medication I was on at the time but 3 months before my stroke I had a B/P of 120/70 and my colesterol was 2.4 so go figure. I know its so frustrating. And Yes you have the weight on but dont go blaming yourself it does no good. I would do anything just to loose 20 pounds and you would think a stroke would scare me into it but it takes more than that to come between me and my pasta.
We all have our struggles and I have come to realize you can only do what you can do and as long as its your best than we should be happy with that. You are so new into your stroke recovery and the fear and the reality of the stroke are so fresh. We hit a wall when we have a stroke and it takes a little time to gather our thoughts and come to an understanding of where we are now in our life.
I am have improved my diet considerably eating high fiber, low fat foods. I dont eat any processed foods and make all my meals now intead of ready made. ( full of salt and bad stuff) I watched a dr. Oz show and it was all on curing your arteries. After watching that show and realizing I could have healthy arteries and healthy heart I made big changes in my diet. BUTTTTTT I still eat too much. It might be healthy but I eat too much so I still have that battle of my waist size to solve. Dont be so hard on yourself. You are doing great getting from day to day getting through the appointments and the harsh reality of what you have been through. BIG HUG coming your way.
As the days tick on you will get stronger and the farther away you get from that date in your mind when it all happened the softer the reality becomes. Sometimes we are stopped because our life needed to change and hitting the wall was the only way to change it. That was very true in my case and most days I can say my Stroke was a blessing. My life is better because of it. Now I still have my days and since before Christmas I have had the flue twice put my shoulder out doing cardio rehab and I now have a cold. So I am having some not so up days right now. But this too will end and I will be fine.
Please continue to let us know how your doing. Good Luck and God Bless
Mulchie

mhart 01-26-2012 02:04 PM

thanks, I am really suffering from anxiety as well. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop if you know what I mean. thanks for your support.

mhart 01-26-2012 02:09 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. I feel so much better already talking to others who understand. I pray for you to continue to improve always. Will let you know how second opinion goes. thanks and hugs.

mhart 01-26-2012 02:14 PM

ennbee, I hope I am posting these replies properly. This is my first time doing this. Thanks for your support. I needed support so badly. I hope I can overcome my fear. Yesterday was 1 month for me, so I know it's a little soon. Hearing from all the wonderful people on this site is such a blessing to me right now!

mhart 01-26-2012 02:22 PM

Mulchie, I am clicking on quick reply to answer messages. Am I doing it wrong? first timer here. Your words mean so much to me. I am so frightened and need someone to tell me it's going to get better. what a gift hearing from all of you. hope I am answering these correctly.

Mulchie 01-26-2012 02:46 PM

Yes you are doing that right. Clicking quick reply allows you to respond to that persons comments. Your doing great, we just have to get you a little more calm and less worried but I think that comes with time. I wish something I could say would help but we all feel worried and full of fear at first. We cant believe this has happened to us. What did I ever do to deserve this. Why me why me. I sat on the side of my bed and cried for days then I asked myself "Is this what you were saved for so you could sit and cry all day". Sudden I felt special like maybe there was a reason why I was saved. Maybe there is a reason to be thankful and hopeful. Maybe I should start looking for those tiny little positive moments and maybe those positive moments will grow. Then comes the calm when we realize we cant live each day in fear. We get up and thank God for one more day and push the fear farther and farther away. Life is funny that way what scared us the most becomes our greatest gift sometimes. Now I wont tell you how long I cried and there are days when I still cry. But I am not living in fear anymore. I refuse to let fear be what I was saved for. I refuse to let worry be my partner in life and rule my days. I kick them to the curb and look to see what I can do with this day. You will get there, its nothing more than a mind set. One day you will get up and say ENOUGH and that my dear friend will be the beginning of the rest of your great life.
Hang in there God Bless Mulchie

mhart 01-26-2012 04:02 PM

Munchie, I can't believe how much better you make me feel. I am trying, really I am.

thanks for being such a special person.

mhart 01-26-2012 04:05 PM

Munchie, I can't believe how much better you make me feel. I am trying, really I am.

thanks for being such a special person.