It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 04:07 AM   #1
(female)

claraclownie HB User
Optical Nerve Damage?

My sight seems slightly different since the stroke, but I haven't been using my glasses much (near and far sighted). Yesterday I went to Walmart to get an exam for a new prescription. The OD couldn;t get me to 20/20 so she dialysized eyes. My left optic nerve is cloudy which she believes if from the stroke.

Has anyone else had optical nerve damage? Does it ever come back? Permanent? Is it progressive? Will it get worse? Anything an eye doctor can treat? Thanks for any input.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Optical Nerve Damage?

Hi Clara,

Yes, I also had damage to my optic nerve and my retinas following my strokes. Mine were due to the high blood pressure which was the culprit behind my strokes, and high blood pressure is highly damaging to the eyes, due to the tiniest blood vessels being located there.

I can assure you that my issues resolved once I got my blood pressure under control, and I have seen great improvement. My eye doctor sees me every six months to keep watch over my eyes, and he has always told me he can see my strokes in my eyes.

Keeping your eye health up is another important part of your stroke recovery, but with time, and proper BP control, you should be ok.

I had what are called "cotton wool spots" on my retinas, which are the result of ruptured capillaries on the retina.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
(female)

claraclownie HB User

I got in to see the opathmologist soon after my post. Some damage to my peripheral vision from the blood clot hitting the back of my brain. Doc said it was mild and I should get partial recovery, C'est la vie.

Old 02-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Yikes! Another one for the stroke! Boy, these things are mysterious and so complicated. All we can hope for is time to recovery, another of our brains amazing capabilities! Thank goodness for that,,,

Old 05-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
(female)

boxie3 HB User

You might want to go to a "neuropthalmologist" - who specializes in nerves associated with the eyes. They are hard to find, I went to one in Atlanta, GA (but I live there).

My nerve damage is unknown, no signs of stroke and I don't have MS. Good luck!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

My husband had optical nerve damage as one of his many results from a massive stroke on Feb 29, 2012. It is actually worse than losing sight of one eye, because his vision cuts right at his nose - absolutely nothing past his nose to the right.

The stroke doctor said if an eye doctor examined him, he would say everything appeared normal, because it is not really in his eye or eye nerve, it's in the brain. So, I was surprised to hear the eye doctor said your eye doctor said the optic nerve was 'cloudy'.

I have heard of different types of stroke/eye problems. Some people have the slightest movement of the eye, which they don't even feel, that causes the brain to feel car sick, because it picks up on the slight visual movement. Some people have vision that seems blurry or double, but may get clear again. My husband just had vision cut - and sure, some problems following lines on a page, which is part of the whole stroke.

I do know someone who had their vision cut pop in and out on them. I think if it does that early on, it is a better sign of full vision recovery. I doubt my husband will get his back, but we do not dismiss that anything is possible, and work with what we have to the best of our abilities!

Last edited by Sandy Caregiver; 05-30-2013 at 04:56 PM.

Reply Reply