It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
(male)

Joshua480 HB User
7 months post stroke

So 7 months ago I had my stroke. Since then I have improved. I had the initial inability to really use my right side. Then it came back. But ever since I had the stroke, my shoulder, ribs, and hip have hurt quite a bit. Lately the pain in my ribs has moved down to the area between the bottom of my ribs and above my hip. And from time to time since the beginning, my neck seems to hurt. And luckily, the pain is nowhere near as bad as it was. My question is, I keep hearing that if you don't get it back in a year, you may not get it back. I can't get that off my mind, and I'm down to roughly 4 and a half months before its my year. Is there anything I can do? Or do I need to accept that I will possibly be in pain from now on? I'm 27 years old, so the doctors keep saying I'll be fine in time, I just don't know what to expect, and kind of hate that that's the generic answer I keep getting. Thanks for any insight

Old 02-25-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Re: 7 months post stroke

Hello Joshua,
And welcome to the stroke forum of survivors. Your question is not unique. For some reason pain comes after a stroke. The doctors don't know why and kind of ignore it, because they don't know themselves but will not admit it. So I hope I can give you some hope from my experiences from a stroke. I call them phantom pains that happen after a stroke. There is no reason, it just happens. Understand your brain has been altered after a stroke, so it my do weird things. Our brain is who we are. So I gets messed up and doesn't function right. That is where your pain is coming from. I will say that most of those pains will go away as your brain re-wires itself. I am sorry, but that is the truth. I had all kinds of pain after my stroke but they went away. However, I have a left shoulder pain that never went away. I still have and no doctor knows what it is. I know what it is. It is from my stroke. I know my own body better that any doctor. So all I get is pain meds for it. And I don't take them because it upsets my stomach so bad.

So Joshua, it is good news. Your pain will go away eventually. It is part of a stroke and part of your new life and it can be a good one if you let be.
I hope some of this helped if any.
God Bless,
Tim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
(male)

Joshua480 HB User

Thanks for the response. Any idea as to how long for it to go away? Is what I was saying I heard true? If after a year it hasn't corrected itself can I figure on it not getting better? Or are they talking about if you lose the use of something and it's gone for a year there's a chance you don't regain the use?

The following user gives a hug of support to Joshua480:
Positive Cynic (02-25-2012)
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Joshua,
I want to tell you the truth. You are a young man and I know you are afraid. You will be o.k. I want you to understand the healing of positivity in your own body. You have to feel good about yourself no matter what. I won't tell you what I have been through, however, a positive attitude and a thank for God once in a while help a lot. I am not into just miracles. There is a place with medication but just a little with some faith and positive thinking. You work them all together and you can have a good life again. You where given a stroke for a reason and you can use it to help others. But you have to get better yourself first. I promise most of those pains will go away at some point. If they don't you can sue me ha ha! Purge yourself of the past and understand you have a new life to enjoy, but you have to find it.
God Bless you my friend,
Tim

Old 02-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Dear Joshua
I don not believe that after a few months you stop improving. That is just simply NOT TRUE. I am 19 months post stroke and I am still improving. What I find is the physical pain and limitations improve as you strengthen them. I had a physio therapist tell me that as long as the limb works then it can be made stronger. I had great help from a Chiropractor. I am a firm believer in them. When our bodies go through something like this we walk different we put pressure on spots we never did before and just walking different can put strain on the back and hips. If the back and hips are out then you begin to have pain where you didnt before eg. the neck. Well Like I said I had great success but it took time. Please do not loose faith in your recovery. It will come it just takes time. I had very bad hip pain and leg pain and drop foot. The pain kept me up all night some nights. My leg is stronger now, and the hip pain is gone. You see so much has to happen in your recovery. The muscles effected by your stroke are not as a result of an injury to the muscle it is because of an injury to the brain. when the swelling goes down and your strength increases and your body starts to heal. You continue to see improvement. I had a doctor tell me if it isnt gone in 3 months its not going to be gone. I feel so bad for people who believe this foolishness. But in saying that you have to work hard and stay positive and believe you are getting better every day. There are some days you feel your going three steps back but that happens. Keep pushing forward but at that same time be kind to yourself and work towards getting well. How much you will improve no on knows. But you will get stronger and that in turn will make you feel better.
I hope this helps I wish you well please let us know how your doing. God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (02-26-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
(male)

Joshua480 HB User

Yes I guess I am afraid. My main thing is that I have a 7 year old daughter and I'm afraid of not being here for her, or being here and not being able to do the things normal fathers do with their kids as they grow up. I will say since I brought this up the other day, I have felt better than I have since the stroke. While I still hurt, it's nothing like it was a few months ago. I've been able to run outdoors again. Not as far or as fast as this time last year, but not horrible for not really having done it in almost 8 months. As I said before, I've heard multiple "timelines" on improving or being as good as it will get. At times I don't know what to think, and honestly this time last week I was assuming that I had recovered all I was going too, but this week I feel I have improved even more. I also realize what you mean when you say some days it feels as if I've taken 3 steps back. Some days i feel as if it's happening again, and then 10 minutes later I'm back to what has become my new normal. At least hopefully my normal for the time being. Thanks for all the help

Old 03-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Its ok Joshua your doing great. Keep pushing forward. Your little darlin is going to have her dad around for a long time. Remember you were saved for a reason. There is a reason why you are still here and I bet one of the reasons is that little darlin daughter of yours. God Bless Mulchie

Old 03-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Josh,
I hope you are feeling a little better today.. Your post made a tear to my eye, because I remember coming home from the hospital and I was afraid and had to talk to my 2 teenage daughters. It was so emotional for me to tell them that something happened to daddy and he is a little different now, but I still love you, no matter what. I was amazed that they responded and understood. I have been the bread winner for so long and couldn't anymore. I really hurt me. But the girls helped me. I was amazed. They kind of understood and started being a little more responsible. I don't know who old your dauther is, but you would be suprised how smart they are and love there daddy. So talk to her about it. You may be surprised. We don't have to be Superman Dad all the time. I thought I was, but after my stroke, I needed my family to help me. And they knew I did the best I could do. And the stroke happened and we all went on and my wife and kids supported me thru the worst times in my first 3 months of my stroke. So I wish you only happiness and goodness.

God Bless,
Tim

The following user gives a hug of support to Positive Cynic:
Mulchie (03-03-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
(male)

Joshua480 HB User

Some days I feel almost back to pre stroke. I'd say around 90% or so. Then some days I feel terrible and ache all over my side. Is this the nerves regenerating? Or could it be spacisity (sp?) I know what you mean about your daughters helping. My daughter doesn't know what a stroke is since she's only 7, but she sure knows how to make me feel better and helps as much as she could when I first came home. Now that I'm getting back to normal, and hopefully will, she obviously can focus on just being a kid again instead of having to worry about dad lol. I do feel as though I am on track to a "full" recovery, I just hate how long it takes. The most frustrating part is my wife had surgery 2 years ago, and in a month she was back to normal. She was cut open and is fine lol. I keep comparing this to her, and obviously mine is taking a lot longer to heal. So I get to wondering a lot just how well I will recover

The following user gives a hug of support to Joshua480:
Positive Cynic (03-07-2012)
Old 03-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Josh,
It is obvious to me that you love you family. Your daughter sounds so sweet and I am sorry about your wife's troubles too. Wow! Do you know that my wife had thyroid problem. She to have it taken out and was just 4 months since my stroke. It was so hard for me to be back in the hospital and try to help her and wasn't even right myself. She had to stay 3 days in the hospital and I couldn't drive then, so our son (23) would came and pick me up to take me to hospital to see my wife.

So what I am trying to tell you is. You will be fine. It takes a long, long, time unfortunately. And you and to understand that your brain has been altered. So you will never be the person you used to be. I am sorry, but that is the truth. But you will be a better person I can guarantee that. It is one of the hardest things that God has given us. We can grow or be bitter. I think you will grow.

God Bless you buddy,
Tim

Old 03-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Hi Josh
Wow your doing great. I know what you mean about having the odd day where you really feel the stroke symptoms. I can offer you my opinion on what I think it is. You see I am the same, I get days when I feel so good and then days when I feel I have taken two steps back. Trying to drive is a good example because when I try to drive some of my stroke symptoms come flooding back. It is because I am demanding from my brain and that part of the brain was injured and is struggling to reconnect. Celebrate because I think the fact that we now have days when we are great those days will grow in numbers. Try to figure out what your tip off's are and maybe dont over do it on the good days so much. But in the same sence you are doing so great and moving forward. Im so happy for you. I agree with everything Tim said and your daughter is your blessing and your saving grace. Little miracles that help motivate us and give us the courage and strength we need. They do a big job for us and they do it by just being the beautiful child they are.
Continue moving forward and create an better understanding of your body and what its going through. It is talking to you through the symptoms and when you stop fighting it and work with it life is so much better. You will continue to have less of those days like I said.
Please do not compaire your stroke to your wifes surgery. That is like compairing apples and spagetti one could not be any more different than the other. hehehe!! Your stroke effected your brain the main control center of your entire body. Your wife's surgery was a recovery with all the brain intact to give her that healing. You will get there my friend. Keep up the great work. Gods Blessing on you and your family.
Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (03-07-2012)
Old 06-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
(male)

Joshua480 HB User

Hey guys. It's been a few months since I posted last. My one year "anniversary" is coming up soon. Not exactly sure how I feel about it. Part of me wants to take it head on and be happy that I'm still here a year later, and part of me wants to run and hide and try to forget every feeling and sensation I had on that day a year ago. I guess I have a new round of questions for the board. I'm feeling a little better, but still sore. I guess I have to keep waiting and hoping like everyone said, that the pain and stiffness will pass. Here's a question. A couple weeks ago I actually called my neurologist and spoke with her about the pain. She said, that based upon what section of the brain I had it, I should not be feeling pain and stiffness. So I guess I'm confused. If that's the case, then what's up with me and how do I fix it? Has anyone had any stories of this? When I had the stroke, could I have thrown something else out of whack to cause this? Should I just accept this feeling? Do I keep waiting for it to get better? What about a chiropractor? I've heard stories about them from people I work with, but they obviously aren't going for after stroke pain, plus my back doesn't hurt. How about yoga? I've seen stories of people who could barely move being as limber as a cat after doing yoga. I guess I'm getting more and more frustrated that while I have complete movement, I still feel extremely stiff. Thanks for all the words you've shared so far, I just hope time really does help

Old 06-28-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua480 View Post
Thanks for the response. Any idea as to how long for it to go away? Is what I was saying I heard true? If after a year it hasn't corrected itself can I figure on it not getting better? Or are they talking about if you lose the use of something and it's gone for a year there's a chance you don't regain the use?
recovery goes on far more than 1 year! it may slow down but you will continue to improve after more than 2 years and maybe 3.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #14
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

My husband has his stroke Feb 29, '12. He had bad hip pain on both sides. The bad side hurt because he was trying to make it work and it wasn't. The good side hurt because it was doing all the work.

His shoulder also hurts alot. Baclofen helps alot with the tightness they call 'tone' in his stroke side. He wears a sling when he's practice walking so that his arm is not just hanging down, pulling away from the shoulder. When sitting in his wheelchair, he has a pillow, or the clear plastic table top that fits on the wheelchair arm, underneath his stroke arm for support. It's really bad to just let it hang there and pull down on the shoulder. His fingers on his stroke hand also hurt terribly when someone tries to open them.

He has had lots of lower back pain from sitting and laying, and not being 'on his feet' like before his stroke.

He also has smaller pains in his feet and knees.

These all get worse if he misses his exercises or his pills. Both are vital. His rehab dr also put him on 20 mg of citalopram right away, as stroke patients usually need it.

I've been reading all kinds of books written by stroke survivors, and there is NO END to how long you can continue to improve.

Closed Thread