It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
(male)

CSI007 HB UserCSI007 HB UserCSI007 HB User
My father had a massive stroke. Mom and I are in serious panic mode.

Hello,

On Tuesday of last week at about 2am my 68 year old father suffered a massive hemorrhagic stroke on the left side of his brain (he is left handed).

The outlook from Doctor's and the surgeon on Tuesday was very bleak. We basically thought we would lose him that day and prepared ourselves for the worse.

My Dad is now almost 6 days out from the stroke and here is what we have been through over the last 5 days.

My father is on a ventilator and feeding tube and is pretty much a sleep most of the time. He has developed pneumonia, MIRSA and a UTI.

Everyday (including the day he arrived) he has opened his eyes, looks confused and then closes them...This has gone on more frequently since last Friday but today (Sunday) he did little other than sleep.

He has occasionally followed a command like wiggle toes or squeeze hand. He tapped his fingers on mine twice yesterday when I asked him too. The nurse was able to get him to wiggle his toes on BOTH feet briefly when asked.

Yesterday when looking at my Mom holding his hand he had a perplexed look on his face and was touching her hand that had a glove on it for the first time since he arrived (because of the MIRSA) Friday he grabbed a hold of her coat strong and was playing with it in his fingers.

Yesterday he started to close his left eye at times when what appeared to be his attempt to focus (blurred or double vision maybe?) on a person or the television in front of his bed but we can't be sure.

His right side is responding to painful stimuli and also when I touch his right foot he reacts to the touch some times. But his right side is not really doing anything.

On his left side he uses his left arm, lifts it up, was reaching for hands (or appeared to be) He also shifts his left leg around and has tried to readjust himself in the left with his left leg.

His most recent CT scan today showed that some of the edema was reduced from the original CT scan but not much.

The Doctors/Nurses are really sending some bad vibes with his progress so far since he has only squeezed a hand or two for them when asked but nothing repetitive. They are also really concerned about getting his fever down since it has been up and down but mostly up since the day he arrived.

It's been as high as about 103. When I left this evening it was at about 100.9. He is on top of cold blankets and shivers from time to time because of it.

We could sure use some words of wisdom, been there, done that....It's OK, he will come out of it.

My Mom and I are really scared as I am sure many of you are/were for your loved ones. We really feel helpless and my mom is so concerned that if my Dad does make it he will be in a vegetative state the rest of his life.

Thank you for your time.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: CSI007
Chitown2012 (03-08-2012), Positive Cynic (02-27-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: My father had a massive stroke. Mom and I are in serious panic mode.

Welcome to the board I am so glad you found us. I am so sorry for what you are going through. Having a loved one have a stroke is a very scarry thing for you and your mom to go through. Please do not give up on your dad. Tell him he will get better. I would really like you to read a book that I constantly suggest people read. Its is excellent in letting you know how your dad is feeling, what he is going through and what you can do for him to continue his recovery. The book: My stroke of insight by Jull Bolte Taylor
She is a brain scientist who suffered a massive stroke. Her recover is amazing and she has documented it all. Very very good read and was a saving grace for me.
All I can tell you is dont give up on him. Fill the room with love and encouragement. Do NOT let doctors and nurses tell you he won't recover. Don't let them bring bad vibes into the room. Put a big sign up over your dad's bed, BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ENERGY YOU BRING TO ME.
All of us here on the stroke board can tell you if there is help and encouragment and understanding, there is constant healing and improving. How much he will improve no one knows but he will improve. My prayers go out to you and your mom and to your dad. Tell him we are all pulling for him. Tell him he will get better. I am 20 months post stroke and I am still improving.
God Bless Mulchie

Last edited by Mulchie; 02-26-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
(male)

Thank you for the reply. I will look for that book.

Does the fact that my Dad is moving limbs and able to open his eyes from time to time mean anything at all for increased possibility of recovery?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Of course it does, it is those tiny lights of hope that will grow into a recovery that only he knows the limitations on. As long as he is given all possiblities he will then recover to his potential. We do not know what that potential or level of recovery is but establishing hope and encouragement will defently create the environment he needs to recover. Every tiny step is awesome, celebrate them with him and they will grow. God Bless Mulchie

Old 02-27-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
(male)

Thanks for the encouragement.

My Dad's temperature is still at 101. This seems to be the most concerning since the doctors do not know what exactly is causing it. And from what I read, fevers with strokes are not good at all.

I have been doing pretty well considering the past few days but today I feel sick to my stomach and just want to vomit.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Worry and stress are terrible things to deal with. You must have hope. God saved your dad for a reason. We do not know what the reason is but he is still here because of it. I can only imagine how hard this is for you and your mom. Our darlin care givers their journey is just as hard as those having the stroke. All your fears and worries try to let them go and embrace the possability that he will come back to you. Hope and courage is all you need right now. You are in my prayers today please keep posting.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

CSI,

Please let me join Mulchie in sending all my love and support to you and your entire family. WE are certainly people who understand what you are going through, as our families went through the same things with us.

Stoke can be such a terrifying experience for everyone involved. The best you can do for your dad is to love him and encourage him at every breath. The earliest days and weeks are certainly the hardest, but our brains are doing everything possible to re route those blood supplies, and that is where all the sleep comes in. Lots of sleep is very normal and it is where much of the healing process comes in.

It is very confusing to the stroke survivor, and the more you speak softly to him and hold his hands and stroke his face, the better he will feel, the safer he will feel. Often lots of stimulis can be very bothersome, so the TV might not be the best thing for him,. I know I could not stand the tv and all the commotion around me. Soft music might be soothing, but above all having those he loves the very most at his side is the very best medicine

I had 4 strokes nine years ago, and still come here to share with people like yourselves, as I am so grateful for my recovery, WE are a family here, or survivors who all have come together to encourage each other and share our ups and downs, and you are a welcome addition to our family.

There is always hope for recovery, and keep those positive thought flowing. Never think he cannot hear you, he likely hears everything being said around him. I know I did, just couldn't respond for a long time. Look at each little thing he does as a positive thing and keep the failth,

Love and hugs to you
Janet

Old 02-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
(male)

Thank you for the reply writeleft and Mulchie.

I am in tears right now. Shortly after my last response, my Mom called me in tears. The Doctors wanted to have a 2:30pm meeting to discuss the next steps.

I rushed to be with my Mom and my wife joined me. The doctors are giving my dad little hope and say that they really think he should be moved to a trach facility to begin some kind of rehabilitation or take him off support and take him to Hospice.

I don't know what to do at this point. I read so many success stories online even with people who have suffered worse bleeds than my dad did. I mean how much time will it take to see any kind of progress? Today he never opened his eyes, his breathing is labored etc.

It appears that the fever (101) is being caused by the brain function and not the infections. The infectious disease Dr. said that she thinks the pneumonia is not that bad and will be taken care of in time with the antibiotics.

I am just so confused and helpless right now.

Is having a tracheotomy and a feeding tube standard course at this point in time?

Oh Gosh, I just need answers and don't know where to turn.

The following user gives a hug of support to CSI007:
Mulchie (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

I dont understand what is their big hurry. Why do they so quickly think he will not improve. I am no doctor I only know what I have experienced myself and what I have read and learned from others. Stroke is a mystery and we do not know their recovery untill time has healed and they are given the environment and encouragment to recover. So much right now is healing, and every single persons recovery is different. They should not give up on him so soon or ever. He was saved for a reason and we dont know what that reason was but God does. I hope you get that book because she was devestated by her stroke and recovered. Im not wanting to place false hope in your hearts. Im certainly no expert nor do I know much at all about your dad's situation. All I do know is, its only been a week and no matter where they move him to make sure encouragement to heal and get well continues. You are all in my prayers.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
(male)

Reading medical studies on the internet gives me the feeling that his lack on responsiveness at all now and his high fever are why they are giving up on him.

Last night they started packing him in ice along with the cooling mat.

Everything I read says that elevated fever greatly reduces ones chance of survival and recovery.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Yes the temp is a mystery in its self. I am so sorry you and your mom are going through this. Continuing to keep you in my prayers. Please keep posting.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 02-28-2012, 07:44 AM   #12
(female)

Jaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB UserJaye66 HB User

Please don't give up. We were told many times that my mom wasn't going to make it. She also has fevers,mrsa and many uti's. Doctors know a lot, but not everything. You have to be your dad's advocate. Personally I think it's too soon to give up on him.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaye66 For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (02-28-2012)
Old 02-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I agree with the others, this is not the time to hurry into any big changes. Please advocate for more time for you dad to recovery before and radical steps be taken.

All of our strokes are very different, but one thing all of us survivors have in common is just that, we survived, and lived to write about it to others in need of our experience.

Of course, we do not know what is in the doctors heads, but as patients, we all needed lots of time before any significant recovery could happen.

I can see the fever being related to the swelling in his brain, and the icing down is a common treatment to reduce fever.

I can promise you, we are all here behind you and are sending you our prayers, our love and support. That is what it takes, dig deep inside and hold onto your gut instincts about your dads will to live and your will for him.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

CSI,
Hello my friend. I am very sorry in what you are going through right now. I don't think I could any more than what has been said. There is some wisdom on this forum from us stroke survivors along with comfort and hope. Nobody knows how your father's situation will make out. But I will say this for from my experience. After my stroke and home from the hospital, the doctor's said if I did not get better in 3 months, then I would stay that way. I can tell you this because at the time, I could not read or write, so they gave me 3 months. But I am writing now - hello?

So my theory is that doctors don't want to give you hope. Because if they do and something happens bad, then you can sue them. But if it the worst and something good happens, then they are wonderful. I don't blame the doctors, I blame the whole system of legal crap that we have come to. You cannot tell the truth anymore. Sorry, I didn't mean to go there with that.

But don't lose hope. Your dad can come though this. To be honest, nobody really knows? But don't take any negative from a doctor and talk to your dad. I promise he hears you. You talk to him and Be positive with love and I hope it can come around for you. I wish you goodness and happiness always.
God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 02-28-2012 at 01:19 PM.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
(male)

Met with social worker today to help facilitate a transition to another critical care unit for my Dad.

My dad was breathing better today and his fever was down to 37.4c (38c) when we left which is A LOT better than it has been. He had not been on the cooling mat since about 8am and has not had Tylenol since last night at 8pm.

He was non-responsive still. He did have his eyes opened barely when my Mom entered the room but when she said something to him he closed his eyes.

While I was there he did move his left arm and scratch his belly. That is the most movement I have seen from him since Sunday.

The following user gives a hug of support to CSI007:
Positive Cynic (02-28-2012)
Closed Thread

Tags
bleeding, stroke