It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
(male)

sheken HB User
My grandpa had a stroke

My grandpa is 90 years old. He fought in World War 2 in Europe and walked close to 3000 miles fighting the Germans. He kept active for most of his life by living in the country side with my grandma, who is 89 years old. Up to last week he was still caring for their chicken & turkeys, shoveling snow, etc. Then, he had a stroke. My grandma who was alone with him said that he simply sat down and couldn't get back up / speak.

He is now in the hospital and the doctors say his blood pressure was 280 / ??? ( not sure about the second number but it must still be pretty high ) when he was brought in. His right side is completely paralyzed and he can't move it.

The first day he recognized us all and would squeeze our hands when we would ask him to.

The second day he basically lost consciousness and the doctors said his breathing was irregular and that his brain was slowly letting go.

Today ( the third day ) he was up again and he recognized all of us, squeezed our hands, moved his left leg, tried to speak but only mumbles came out and even smiled at our jokes as we kept telling him that he fought harder things than this during the war.

My question is... what can the future really hold for him ? We realize he's very old and his chances of recovery are probably very small/nonexistent. It's also very painful to watch him in this state. At times he has this bewildered look on his face like he doesn't understand what is happening to him.

Last edited by sheken; 03-10-2012 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: My grandpa had a stroke

Hello Sheken and welcome to our board. I am so glad you posted about your grandfather. He sounds like a wonderful man and very strong. The men and women who fought in the war were made of something special. Stronger and more courageous than I could ever imagine to be. Please thank him for me for all he did for us during that terrible time.
It is so hard to know what the outcome will be for your grandpa. As you have already pointed out he was a very strong and fit and active person prior to the stroke. His age in actual body years may only be in the 70's because he kept in good shape. I know the doctors will tell you his age is a factor and yes it may very well be. But I think your Grandpa will set his own agenda and decide if this thing we call stroke will determine his quality of life. All you can do is surround him in gentle quiet love. Tell him what has happened and reasure him he will be fine. After a stroke our brains swell and it needs time to heal. I hear story after story of stymptoms gradually leaving a person as the brain heals. How much he will recover we do not know. But from what you have told us your grandpa will be the judge of that. Dont give up on him no matter what. Talk slowly and quietly. Keep noise down and gentle reasurance is what he needs. And familiar faces when he wakes up. Please keep posting and let us know how he is making out. Good luck and God Bless

Closed Thread