It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User
Drop Foot

Hello my good friends,
I know that a lot of you stroke survivors have drop foot. So I have a couple questions about it. The main thing is, is it painful?

I ask because this morning I woke up and could hardly walk. At first I thought my ankle was sprained, but I didn't do anything to do that. So I was thinking that yesterday I did a lot of work around the house that I haven't done for quite some time and thought maybe I twisted it or strained it. It is my left ankle. I have been nursing it all day with ointments and an ace bandage and have it elevated all day. I even have some pain meds that are pretty strong that I got for my left shoulder that has pain and I try not to take them too much, but today I have taken 3 and haven't even touched the pain. I have never taken 3 in one day since my stroke.

At first I thought it was my ankle, but now I realize the pain is in my tendon at the back of my foot between my two ankles. Another thing is after laying down and resting, when I first get up I can barely walk at all. I walk literally inches at a time because the pain is so bad. But after I walk it looses up a little. I can walk a little better, but it still hurts and I am limping really bad.

My wife is the one to that mentioned drop foot and said I never thought of that, but I have never heard any of you with it that mentioned awful pain that goes along with it. So I know this is the place for advice. Thanks for any help out there.

God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 03-17-2012 at 05:03 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Positive Cynic:
coupe (03-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Drop Foot

Hi Tim
Well my friend Im so sorry to hear about this. You really do not need another pain. Now I do have drop foot since my stroke. It doesnt pain constantly as much as it has a mind of its own. In the beginning when it was real bad it would fight constantly to flip over always pushing to go over to the right. It wanted me to walk on the side of my foot. The pain was usually generated from the struggle all day long trying to keep it straight. It would also drag when I got tired and I would easily trip. Eventually I got a brace which helped considerably.
Im wondering if you have a sprain. But it really sounds painful. We can so easily go over on our ankle while we are out and about or doing jobs about the house and not even remember twisting it. Then when you get up the next day OUCH! Tim are you putting ice on it. I swear but it as a means of pain control. 20 min on and 20 min off and be faithful to that for hours. If you dont have a soft ice pack use bags of frozen vegetables becasue they can form to you foot/ankle.Frozen peas or corn are good. Elevating is good but make sure you elevate both feet or you throw your back or hip out. And maybe rest it as much as you can. Use crutches so your not putting pressure on it and tensor bandage it for support. good Luck Tim and let me know how your doing.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (03-19-2012)
Old 03-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

Tim I have drop foot. And it doesn't hurt. The only thing is that my drop foot does is it trips me up alot. You might have a sprained ankle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alberta1967 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

g'day Tim,
hope everyones well and happy.
i agree with Alberta and Mulchie that you sprained or turned your ankle.
i have foot drop and suffer no pain from it at all. the only time it does hurt a bit, is when im on the ankle long period of time, say few hours with out a rest.
mate if it does not improve you may have seek medical help.
i bet they tell you to do what you are already doing and take heaps of rest.
anyway good luck, and keep us informed.

God bless
George

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Thanks everyone for your responses. It really helped me. Not only that, but it helped me from a trip to the hospital

My wife and I didn't know what it was because it was so sudden. And since I got epilepsy a year later after my stroke, then why not drop foot 2 years later? anything seems possible to us these days. So she wanted to take me to ER and I said just wait. I was in the hospital so many times last year, I don't want to start it again this year. Let's wait a week or two and if it doesn't improve, then I'll go - I just don't want to go there anyymore!!!!

So thanks again and it also eased my mind also. And thank you Mulchie about the ice packs. I can't believe I forgot about that, because I have several and used them all of the time when I had a herniated disc that was so painful before the surgery and it helped. So I have been icing my ankle and was walking good enough to go to CVS and bought a good "Sports" ankle brace and I am healing quite nicely. So it was some type of sprain. But I still can't figure out how it happened, unless I just worked to much the day before.

Anyway if I did go to the hospital, I would only be doing the same thing I am doing now and would have lost the whole day waiting and missed a couple of good movies me and my wife watched together ha ha!

This forum is great and you guys are wonderful!!!!!!!!!
Thank you and God Bless you all 100x
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 03-19-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

So glad your foot is getting better. Stay off it for a couple of days. Alberta

Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G'day Tim.
How are you and your loved ones these days, hope they are well.
Man I just woundering how your foot is healing, are up and running?
Well all the best, hope this message gets through, been having a bit of computor trouble, or may be its my I.T. skills?
The kids always ask me " what was it like to witness the discovery of the wheel."?
They reckon I was around before fire. What do you do, you got to love them....
Any how I well catch you later mate.

God Bless
George

Last edited by goingtorun; 03-24-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:45 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Tim Tim Tim....

What to do with you my friend! I hope the darn foot is cooperating better today. Nothing to do with strokes, but I had a funny one a few years back.. I was sitting at a card table playing a rousing game of monopoly and somehow sprained my ankle while sitting down. It just gave out, swelled up and turned black and blue. We all laughed about that one. I know yours is not a laughing matter, but just thought I'd throw that little story in.

Closed Thread