It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
(female)

nannymax HB Usernannymax HB Usernannymax HB User
mid brain stroke

please could anyone who has had a mid brain stroke tell me how their stroke has affected them were you tired all the time.did you get confused easily did you forget things, did you develop any verbal tics as my hubbys stroke doctor says his symptoms are nothing to do with his stroke as the midbrain wouldnt cause the symptoms he has we are both still very confused.thank you

Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: mid brain stroke

Hi Nannymax
I am so sorry for what you and your husband are going through. I can tell you love him very much and being a caregiver for a loved one is very hard. Our hearts ache for them all the time and we search constantly for answers.
I can tell you about my stroke and what kind of symptoms I had. I would like to know when did your husband develope the speech tics?
My stroke was June 21, 2010. It left me with depression, fear, weak right side, drop foot, migraines, sensativity to light and sound, some speech difficulties, took my math skills and my ability to multi task. Having my stroke was life altering. The life as I new it stoped and I hit a wall. For weeks my symptoms seemed to increasing get worse and two months after my stroke I developed a hand tremor. Very frightening because I thought I had another stoke. I did not and a neaurologist told me that after a stroke the brain swells and until that swelling goes down the one side of the brain fights with the other side of the brain. This was news to me and it was the reason for my tremor. We seem to be in a terrible rush to get well, get over it, and get all better. But the truth of the matter is, our brains are healing and we cant get well YET! All the symptoms you mentioned the depression, the tiredness etc. They seem to be a common thread with all of us here at the stroke board. It seems when our brains take a hit our body doesnt like it very much and it causes such confusion. But it wont always be like that. Your husband will improve. How much we dont know but he will improve. All we want is to feel better. If I can remember correctly your husbands stroke was Jan 2012 and that wasnt very long ago. I think the first 6-7 months were my most fogged and most confusing. Tell your husband we are all here for him. Any questions ask away. We have all been through the same thing. We understand.
Please take care as you continue to care for your darlin husband. Be kind to yourself and make sure you are getting your rest and meals.
God Bless Mulchie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-03-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
(female)

thanks mulchie for your reply my hubby had his stroke in july 2011 and the ticks started about a month after his stroke then he fell over in the snow about 2 months ago and he seams to have not improved much just lately the fall in the snow he had cut his head and i thimk took away his confidence, our gp has took him off of his prozac and put him onto citalopram which he started on saturday we are hoping these will make him feel a bit happier, he takes simvastatin, thiamine,vitamin b6,clopidogril, and now citalopram, he cant multi task he has lost his maths skills, very confused, and gets angry with himself, he can go from one room to another and forget what he was supposed to be getting or doing it sounds as all this is normal .

The following user gives a hug of support to nannymax:
Mulchie (04-03-2012)
Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Yes it sounds so similar to my stroke. Tell him not to lose faith. The reason he fell over in the snow is probably because of balance. My balance was terrible untill recently because I have been doing yoga. There is one stance in particular that works on balance. Actually there are a lot of yoga steps that work on balance. Look up yoga for seniors because most of them are poses we can do and over time they are very good and make us stronger. I went from wheel chair to walker to cane. And now sometimes I dont need my cane because I am stronger and my balance is much better.
The memory thing OH I can so relate and again it is something that will get better and better. Dont loose faith.
Its very strange how his speech tic and my hand tremor occured after the stroke. Our bodies are a mystery. Tell your husband to continue to work on his strength and his relaxation. Find a comforting place in the house, surround it with your favourit things and go there 10 times a day if you have to, to get calm and find peace. I did that as part of my recovery and at first I was in that spot all the time. Now I go there maybe 4 x a day. Progression is slow as long as you dont give up. Tell him Please dont give up. It will get better. I am 2 years this june and one year ago I was nothing like I am now.
Good Luck God Bless Mulchie

Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
(male)

john 876 HB User
Post Re: mid brain stroke

what is a mid brain stroke? I felt a wave down my left side from my scalp to my toes in two or three seconds, a sharp pain of pins, needles and a stiffness that has not changed in a little more than two years now. None of the six doctors I have seen has anything to say about it. All I have is a mild pain pill that helps but not much.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Dear John welcome
When I had my stroke I just had a brief headache. Then my shoe felt like it had cement in it and I was dragging my foot around. Within the next 4 or 5 days the stroke showed its full potential and I had many symptoms. I had a cat scan and then two MRI's to determine I had a stroke.
Im sorry all six doctors cant give you an answer. You deserve better than that. Where is your pain John and how are you doing?
God Bless Mulchie

Old 04-03-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
(female)

hi mulchie thats how my hubbys symptoms were he got up in the morning fine had a bath and went to go down the stairs and his eye sight was funny he was seeing double we rang the gp and went to see her and she sent him to the optician who then made an appointment at thehospital for the monday which was 3 days later, when he got up the next morning he was bumping into things,a doctor overheard me talking to a friend of ours in our pub and asked if he could take a look at my hubby and he admitted him straight to hospital where they did tests and a cat scan which showed up nothing so because of the double vision they decided on th monday to do an mri and this is where the white area showed up on his midbrain and then they told us it was a stroke,i cant thank my friend and the doctor enough because i feel that if they hadnt been in our pub that night something awfull could have happened.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannymax View Post
hi mulchie thats how my hubbys symptoms were he got up in the morning fine had a bath and went to go down the stairs and his eye sight was funny he was seeing double we rang the gp and went to see her and she sent him to the optician who then made an appointment at thehospital for the monday which was 3 days later, when he got up the next morning he was bumping into things,a doctor overheard me talking to a friend of ours in our pub and asked if he could take a look at my hubby and he admitted him straight to hospital where they did tests and a cat scan which showed up nothing so because of the double vision they decided on th monday to do an mri and this is where the white area showed up on his midbrain and then they told us it was a stroke,i cant thank my friend and the doctor enough because i feel that if they hadnt been in our pub that night something awfull could have happened.
Thank You God For a miracle. Thats wonderful and to think she just over heard you talking.
God Bless Mulchie

Closed Thread