It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
(male)

wilster HB User
My Hell

Hi,

About 6 months ago I had a fall out with my son and my vision dimmed slightly, I first thought it was blood pressure so I left it till the next day to see doctor as I did not think stroke going by TV adverts. (what a fool).
The doc said it was something to do with my tooth abscess that I had at the time, which is resolved, I did a little research and was scared by what I read. I saw other doctor and he gave me anti-depressant tablets, things started to get worse, bad indigestion, poor motion, worse vision, dizzy, confused, finger pains, I kept pressing for scan but he said try tablets first and see how you get on.
I spent a night in hospital about 8 weeks ago after pulse dropped to 35 bpm for short periods and was very scary and they told me I had an eptopic heart beat which I never had before and I may have a clot on lung but did no second test they said they needed, plus they did various motor skill tests which were fine then they released me.
Since then a eye test which the eye doctor said my eyes were within range for my age but said they looked like i have had a trauma, now I have very strange vision, dark and very unreal and weird, no energy, finally got ct scan which came back clear, saw lady doctor she was very rude and said scan was clear so I'm ok an will see a neurologist in a month, I feel like I'm dying and in a unreal world I am getting clumsy and forgetful I used to be a tradesman now I cant even do the simplest of things.

Best wishes

David (53 years old)

The following user gives a hug of support to wilster:
Positive Cynic (04-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User
Re: My Hell

Hi, sorry to hear. My stroke was not detected in a ct scan, they needed an MRI to find it.

You know something is wrong - I would insist on getting the proper treatment. Good luck and God bless.

Last edited by max55; 04-09-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
(male)

wilster HB User

Hi max,

Thanks for your reply, how long a time was your mri done after the stroke and have you improved at all, what treatment.

God bless.

David.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
(male)

Hi David. My Stroke was a year ago and they did the MRI a couple of days after the ct scan all while I was in the hospital. When I was ist having trouble I went to my doctor and he admitted me into the Hospital. I was lucky enough to walk away with only a few minor issues. At ist I was having trouble speaking, writing, overall hard getting around. Now I just have kind of a permanent light headed feeling, some coordination issues, harder time remembering things and such. But nothing real big. Most of it came back really quick - within a couple of days and I was released from the Hospital after 5 days. I have learned to live with all the remaining issues and do not think about it too often. Only real thing left is the blood thinner that I am on called Coumadin requires regular checks and is kind of scary in itself due to the bleeding risks. I was diagnosed with a rare genetic blood condition in which I do not break down blood clots very well.

In my case the physical exams showed that something was wrong - the usual stroke type signs were there - but the ct-scan and the initial blood test all came back good. It was not until an MRI was done and a Hematologist did a more detailed blood analysis did they find things wrong. Turns out that ct-scans will not pickup brain stem strokes like I had.

There was no real treatment plan. I was released from the Hospital after 5 days and returned to work after 3 weeks. They wanted me to go to physical therapy but after 1 session I decided that I did not really need it.

Main thing is getting diagnosed properly - then you can get on with your life. Getting rid of the unknown I believe is going to relieve a lot of stress and give you the peace of mind to get better.

Last edited by max55; 04-10-2012 at 05:31 AM.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:27 AM   #5
(male)

wilster HB User

Hi Max,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the information, I wish my doctors had been so quick, I do feel let down just because I did not portray the normal signs.
My local GPs were very patronizing, I dont feel like I'm getting anywhere with it and it's totally changed me, the light headiness is bad for me as it makes everything feel out of this world accompanied with my vision.
I find getting up in the morning is very hard even after sleep as I get a funny taste in my mouth which makes me feel bad and brings on a feeling of impending doom, sorry to bog you down with this and I really appreciate your feedback, well done on your recovery.

God bless,
David.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #6
(male)

Hi David, well - you are on the right track in seeing the neurologist. Its probably not a stroke but sounds like there is definitively something going on there.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Sorry Bro,
There No Hell buddy. I am in the helaling of a long thing wih another 't hospital 53 years olsd woryy (for exapmt, sttore, cancer epilepsy, blood batheriia fursion . there is no Hell. Only the hell you want it to be. I met friends with every nurse i met. this one guy, his name was Tim, just like my name. And he asked me about me stroke and epelispsy and we was and watsche a "family gUy" with me because he wauasent't busy.

But I am telling you. I know our are frrustated and in pain. but up you can beat this thing or it can beat it yourself It is really that simple. I Won't let it beat me and so for it hasn't. It freaking tryis everyday, but I will not not let it do it.

It is God's time, not some stupid disesaes time to tell Me my plans! When ever i I die, then it will be because of God. Nothing else in the universerse, but God.

So I am sorry buddy. I ussually like good possitity stuff here. I Never say anything like this becaue this is my family. But I had some bad news, an the doctors wher all wrong as usual, but it is my family. I am stronger that ever. So get 3 and 4 opitions if you have to. It is our life. Donn'tt play your life in in ones's rolls.

I.,, sorry if I hurts you. It just happened this way.
God Bless you.
Tim

Old 04-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

" I saw other doctor and he gave me anti-depressant tablets, things started to get worse, bad indigestion, poor motion, worse vision, dizzy, confused, finger pains, I kept pressing for scan but he said try tablets first and see how you get on."

hi David, I read this excerpt of your post and wondered if those tablets are cymbalta? if so, be very careful! doctor prescribed those for my daughter back in November, starting at 30 Mg's then to 60 Mg's. she has had those same symptoms you've described since being on them. in the last month she has forgotten her own phone number, has forgotten the code for her garage door opener, and has totaled both her cars due to coordination, brain zaps, and loss of concentration. the doctor took her off them cold turkey, she's now going through the withdrawals of the pills, which are pretty much the same only worse? luckily she wasn't hurt in her accidents other than a few bruises and a broken hand, which she's getting plates and screws in tomorrow.

don't stop until you get the answers you need! if that's your medication? please be very,very careful!

good luck and god bless

coupe/Larry

The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
Positive Cynic (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

thanks coupe, nice to here you again

Yes the cymbalta is a bad, bad think. I don't know what it supposed to do even? this was way before my stroke.

I dumb *** doctor asked if I was depressed. And I said I guess I am at times. So he gave my cymbata. I think that doctors get a cut for selling drugs, but is not the point.

When I was on cymbalta. I literally had to put a towel where slept because I sweat so much it was ruining the sheets. So I slept on this towel and I could literally wring it out with my own sweat. I know that sounds disgusting, but that is the truth. After a month of this crap. I stopped taking it my own dam self and never went to that doctor again either.

George Carlin said "in the world, there is the worst doctor"

Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #10
(male)

wilster HB User

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your input on this I really appreciate that people I don't even know take time out to reply, it gives me a lift and I agree that I need a kick up the backside, I find mornings worse when it seems like there is not an ounce of energy in me with all the things going on.
Believe me I was like a dynamo before this but I'm truly humbled by it and I cant seem to get a foothold to improvement and I hate the strain on my lovely wife and kids.

God bless you all.

David.

Positive Cynic (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey Buddy,
I will say for the whole forum. It is our pleasure to help you, if we possible can. Here is the cool thing David. You are not alone!!!!!

You have so many friend here. I will never forget the fear I had after my first stroke. I am doing much better, but I don't wont to forget that, just for peoople like you. I promise it will get better, but it takes a long darn time. so you have to be patient.

Look buddy you sound you are succseffull. Well, I was too. I have 2 busnesses with my wife and we lost it all after my stroke. But after the heart ache, I learned more than I could imagine. And it may sound stupid. but I am thankful that God gave me this. I don't care about stuff anymore and that is what life is.

I'll tell you what. coupe is the most amazing man in the world. He doesn't talk about it much because he is so humble. But maybe he will tell his story here again or if not. you guys can get on email here.

God Bless you buddy and I love your post "my hell" we all know what you are talking about.

The Following User Says Thank You to Positive Cynic For This Useful Post:
wilster (04-14-2012)
Old 04-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

I am just saying hello. I went to the forum and the reads said 666. so I wanted to erase that as soon a possible. ha ha.
I hope you day i going well my friend.
God Bless you,
Tim

Old 04-14-2012, 06:36 AM   #13
(male)

wilster HB User

Hi,

Thanks for getting rid of those nasty numbers, I would have been freaked out by that lol, hope your having a good day too mate.

God bless,

David.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
(male)

wilster HB User

Hi all,

Just a small update, went to see doctor today with wife as my she thinks I need more anti-depressants as I keep crying at times over silly stuff, told doctor my symptoms, he gave me a bowel examination, my first ever and said that seems fine but would not comment on my other symptoms as he said wait for neurologist to comment, I mentioned that CT scan may have not picked up my problem and may need MRI but he seems to think not.

He did a few reflex tests but I told him I did not have any usual stroke stuff, things do not seem to be getting any better and I still feel like I'm in an unreal world due to my eyes (which he said looked fine), also doing strange things such as trying to open kitchen drawers which are fixed, drunk feeling and de-realisation.

Hope your all on the up.

God Bless,

David.

Positive Cynic (04-21-2012)
Old 04-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hey David,
Believe it or not, your crying will pass.right after my stroke, maybe it was 2 months and I started crying uncontrollable. I mean I could see a dog on the TV and start weeping. My wife was very concerned about me. But I tried to explain her that it is just somehting I need to do. I can't explain it, but I told her, don't worry I am ok. It is almost like sneeze that you can't stop. That is what crying is after a stroke.

But I cried everyday for a full month. But one day....... it was gone. Poof. just like that. It was so weird. So what I want to tell you to just cry and get it all out. It will stop. And try to understand you wife that it is not personal. Call it like a sneeze. But the crying will stop. But the more you hold it in, the longer it will take to get better. So let it go buddy. There is nothing wrong with you. This is part of stroke recovery.
God Bless,
Tim

Closed Thread