It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
(male)

Terry6632 HB UserTerry6632 HB User
It is about time I said HI

I've been reading this board for some time now and have yet to say HI to everyone. So, Greetings to you all, you seem like a Great Bunch!
I had 4 strokes July of 2011 that pretty well did in my left side and diabetes didn't help either. As it stands now my recovery is a bit limited, I can manage a hemmi cane for about 5 minutes but the left arm is still pretty useless. On the good side I did get my diabetes under control and lost a 100 pounds. I haven't been this light since 6th grade and that has been a while back, I'm now 62, LOL.
I'm 6'5" tall so I look pretty lanky, heck I bet I even look younger now, grin.
I think my strokes were caused by a dentist. I was having my teeth pulled for dentures and a few days later 4 clots hit me in the same vessel. The left side of my mouth and tongue are still numb. I haven't got the dentures yet because of this and of course the cost. Strokes it seems put a pretty big dent in the wallet!
Thankfully my mind is clear and bright, it was definitely cloudy for a while. After a 30 day stay in the hospital, looking at my computer screen for 30 minutes was extremely tiring and didn't make a lot of sense. For fun in my pre-stroke days I wrote computer software. I was pretty good at it too, even won a few programming rewards. So, the cloudy days were the worst part of my strokes, the thought of not being able to program.

Hopefully that introduces me a little bit plus I also tend to ramble on. Of course I did that before the strokes too, LOL.

Take Care All!
Terry Bullard

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terry6632 For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (04-14-2012), writeleft (05-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: It is about time I said HI

Hello Terry and welcome we are so glad you said hello.
Wow I must commend you on your weight loss. Your amazing, that is a tremendous amount of weight to loose. My hat off to you my friend. How did you loose it if you dont mind me asking.
It sounds like your doing great in recovery and remember it is never over till its over. Your recovery will continue. I am two years this June 2010 and I am still improving. I did experience the fuzzy head you talk about. It is much better now. I would not give up on your hope to return to computer software development. However, remember when we have a stroke and hit that wall, our lives change forever. We are different people, we have been saved for a reason and it might be for some other reason than computer softeware. You never know.
I wish you continued success in your recovery. Please keep in touch your post is very encouraging to others who are just starting out on this journey. And in the beginning we need all the encouragement and hope we can get. Its a scary place to be and its good for people to read your post and know they can recover and life can be good again. God Bless Mulchie

Old 05-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hi Terry
How are you doing? Is your recovery continuing? I just got to wondering how you are. God Bless Mulchie

Old 05-29-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello there Terry, and welcome! That is wonderful that you have been reading along, and then decided to jump in and let us know your story. Hey, rambling on is what I do best as well, so ramble all you want. And that goes for everything else you think of asking or saying, anything goes when it comes to stroke talk.

I must say, this is the first I have heard of a strokes caused by dental work but it sure makes sense to me. We have another thing in common, as I had four strokes simultaneously too, but mine were nine years ago now. Honestly, I still find areas I am still recovering in, or it may be just continuing to learn to live with strokes many side effects.

You do sound bright! That is wonderful. I am a big believer in the attitude being half the battle, but of course there are always times when all that runs out, and we need to get it out too.

I am with Mulchie, on the weight loss. My strokes have been hard on my weight, with the great reduction in my activity level. For a while I was enjoying the same amount of food, with half the exercize..yikes, that did not work! Great job on getting that diabetes under control with your diet...I am impressed.

I must say, for me my largest doses of recovery came in my 3rd through 5th years. But everyday does count.

I look forward to hearing more about your recovery and please post often as you like.

janet

Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
(male)

Terry6632 HB UserTerry6632 HB User

Hi All,
I'm surprised about the 'surprise' in my weight loss. I assumed that weight loss was a common factor with strokes. Apparently not I guess. I first thought it might have to with the insulin I started taking but according to the doctor it is not. Ever since I had the strokes I haven't been hungry and only ate because I knew I should. Then not to many months after the strokes domestic problems arose and I have been living off my own cooking. Frankly I am a very poor cook so that is probably the reason for the weight loss, grin. My daily food intake every day is 4 eggs on top of cheese and toast, either in one meal or two the total is the same. Now and then I'll have instant oatmeal when I can get it and that is about it.

I am sure everyone gets frustrated with family who are the caregivers but keep silent because you are in no position to defend yourself. Here after nine months of verbal abuse plus a step-son who striped me of resources I decided to stand up for myself. So now I am completely alone and looking forward to a future. The only work I have requires two good hands and two good feet, thankfully it is self-employed or else I would be fired for only having one fair hand and one fair foot, LOL. So I've been throwing myself at it regardless if it is good for me or not and hopefully soon I'll be able generate a buck. Each time I can accomplish a two handed task by only using one hand is a major victory for me.

There is a lot more to the story but no sense boring people. The point is that even a stroke survivor needs to stand up for themselves at some point in time and strive for the best life possible. I haven't seen a lot of talk here about money and other hardships, I'm sure there is more then enough to go around. Those that are in the same boat as I am should take one step at a time and take glory in your accomplishment!

The best to everyone!

Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I am very impressed that you have chosen to stand up for yourself. One thing I noticed was my initial loss of confidence in myself, that I had always had. That has been something I have continued to work on. Being here on this forum has helped me immensely, as we do have so many issues following stroke. Not to mention the great need I feel to provide what ever hope I can to others who are earlier in their recovery. It can be very hard to imaging the progress that is possible in the early stages.

I think money and family life are two very real elements in many of our lives. For some, family cannot take the new changes stroke can leave is with. Of course, the ability to go back to work can take years for some, or never at all for many of us. For everything you do, it is a personal victory, and that is just the attitude that you need to stand strong.

Stroke is such a mystery in many ways, and we each have very different symptoms, for different amounts of time. We do have many things in common though, and those are the things we can help each other with. I hope as you begin to meet others here you will share my sentiments about the positive aspects of having others to share with, whether you have having a great day, or one of those other days...

Janet

Closed Thread