It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2012, 02:30 PM   #1
(female)

Hedgehogjenni HB User
Red face Worried about my Mom

I live with my Mom and Dad. The last few days my Mom has not been herself. She has been laughing uncontrollably, being paranoid, saying her head feels wrong (although she can't explain how it is bothering her), not being able to think of the right word for things, and not being able to sleep. She is a nurse and generally very articulate. She is 55 years old. The more I read about multi-infarct dementia, it sounds like that is what might be going on. It seems to be getting worse of the last couple days. Today she broke down and she was bawling because she was worried about me being worried for her while I was at work. I tried the best I could to comfort her. She freaks out if I stand behind her (even if I'm in a different room) because she is so paranoid about me telling someone she knows about her current condition. She didn't want to go to the doctor because it might be a doctor who has met her at the hospital where she works and he might tell her boss. I finally convinced her to go to the doctor today and that is where she is now. Do these symptoms sound familiar to any of you? Does it sound like she may have had a series of small strokes? I welcome any opinions or advice...

Old 04-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: Worried about my Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehogjenni View Post
Do these symptoms sound familiar to any of you? Does it sound like she may have had a series of small strokes? I welcome any opinions or advice...
Small strokes:I don't think it's the result of a series of small strokes. My father had a series of small strokes but it did not seem to affect his personality or behavior. Although, as it turned out, he did develop Alzheimer's many years later.

Multi-infarct dementia: Vascular dementia comes about very gradually, whereas the symptoms you described are somewhat extreme and sudden. Therefore, I would rule that out.

Does your mother take any medication(s)? There could have been a mixup. Did she have a new prescription filled before this happened? How about vitamin pills? It's rare but sometimes medication gets into vitamins. Take note of any change that took place before her symptoms started.

Last edited by JohnR41; 04-26-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Worried about my Mom

Hi there,

I can certainly understand your concern about your mother. Being at the doctor today is the best thing she could have done. Please share with us what you find out. Her symptoms are very unusual in all I know about strokes and being a survivor of four simultaneous strokes at the age of 43. I am now 51 and well into my recovery. My experience with stroke comes from thousands of posts to and from other stroke survivors and family members like yourself. I am very interested in what you learn from the doctor. Hopefully she will be able to convey the information she learns, or better yet, you can speak with the doctor yourself.

Best to you and your mother...
Janet

Closed Thread