It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 12:38 AM   #16
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: question about confusion and short term memory?

I think you are smart to give yourself some time before you make any big decisions, especially about working. May I ask what type of work you have been doing?

Even until this day, I still have good times and more difficult times. I do not use the term good days and bad days, because I never like to allow myself to give in to an entire bad day. Just a few hours here and there, and usually I have good spurts in between.

No matter, I do end up getting tired at different intervals during the day, and find myself in need of some time sitting down and resting, occasionally needing an actual nap. I have found a way to break my activities up into smaller parts, in order not to exhaust myself on one thing. I like to break up my housework into small parts. I spend time on my computer several times throughout the day when I need to sit and relax.

I have created a monster when it comes to keeping a regular bedtime. but I always know I can catch up if I need to the following day or night. I love to stay up late at night, to do my writing and thinking. I like to keep a fluid schedule.

This is the first time in my life in which I have not had to stick to a regular schedule, as i have had school age children for 28 years now. My youngest just turned 18, and is just weeks away from graduating from high school and then off to college in the fall. He is finally at the age where he can get himself up in the morning, although I still like to see him off in the morning, then go back to bed.

When I had my strokes, my youngest son was only 9 years old.

My biggest encouragement to you would be to be very patient with yourself. Try and find some sort of pleasure in every moment, so that you can later find the great sense of wonder at the world you have come to know, as you have slowed down greatly. I know how much of a change it is, which makes many of us feel anxious to be back to doing more, but the beauty of it is the ability to really appreciate life's smallest treasures.

I hope this makes some sense to you...I never read my posts back, or I would never send them off!

Janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 07:48 AM   #17
(female)

jlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB User

LOL, ys it did make sense.

Last edited by jlh1; 05-17-2012 at 04:06 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to jlh1:
Alberta1967 (05-15-2012)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #18
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh1 View Post
I have realized I may not be able to go back to work, while its scary I decided not to think about it for a couple more weeks at least.

And yes humor helps a lot, my mother had made elk spaghetti yesterday (one of my favorites) I was texting my daughters dad (we are trying to work things out) he asked what we had for dinner and I told him Elk Cookies (Yuck)! not sure where that came from but it was one of the better ones.
Hello again jhl1 you are way to young for this to just happen? you may not be able to return to your work? disability doesn't care about that. they only care if you can do any work at all? earning the minimum income they say you can survive on!

me, I'm a real stickler for things working as they should and designed to work. my stroke was caused, simply because a piece of construction equipment costing 1/2 million dollars, was missing a $9.00 safety bar over the controls. now I'm no genius! but, that just doesn't make sense!

I've read your story of the jeep loosing control, hitting a pole, sliding, and none of the 7 air bags opened. while, it's not the jeep's fault! it didn't lose control of itself! you are still less than a month since the "accident, still in shock and confusion state. as soon as you are able? I'd contact a lawyer the "accident" itself may have been your fault? the lack of correct operation of those air bags are at least a contributing factor in your suffering from stroke, which the manufacturer would have known or should have known? had proper testing been done! you should be compensated for the faulty air bags, designed to save lives and prevent injuries. was it only the jeep you purchased with this fault? or every jeep coming off the assembly line? you could do yourself good and save others by filing a lawsuit. certain circumstances were not tested properly? or they would have known or should have known this could happen. I'm no lawyer and I don't even play one on TV, but my brother in law is. that $9.00 safety bar my machine was missing, garnered me several million dollars in compensation from the manufacturer and others who were able to be sued simple because of it not being tested properly. they are not sold any longer without this safety bar. you have suffered what could be a life long injury? needing life long therapies costing lots of money, not to mention a young daughter to raise and get through college.

you owe it to her, yourself, and those coming behind you. to find "justice" and "safety" for those following you, to let this manufacturer know that "all testing MUST be done properly and thoroughly, making sure all safety features work as promised and you are safe in buying their products and your family is safe as well!

it takes two-three years maybe to work through the court system at least mine did! but, you are entitled to be compensated for your injuries and loss of quality of life. not only now but the future too. you are entitled to every penny every person/company that has ever had anything to do with that jeep!

IF IT DON'T WORK? DONT SELL IT!

just some food for thought

good luck and god bless

Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Wow Coupe, great advice coming from one who knows better than anyone else.

Bless you for each and every contribution to our group. You never cease to amaze me and your attitude is always inspirational to me.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:25 PM   #20
(female)

jlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB User

Yes been in touch with a lawyer,.

Yes and CA temp diasablity does not even come close to my inome, so will not even cover heat and water, have applications in for other sources of help. If not im not sure what i will do, but ill worry about that next week, my nightly migrane has kicked in right on time, neasea to follow shortly.

Last edited by jlh1; 05-17-2012 at 03:51 PM.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #21
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello
Just reading through your posts. I noticed in your last post that you have nightly migranes and neausea. I had my stroke almost 2 years ago and with it came daily all day migranes. Also neausea. I can tell you now the migranes have gone. I still get the neausea when I push myself and do more than I should.
I wanted to tell you about my migranes because I dont have them now. So dont loose hope. You are so very early in recovery. You are not where you are going to be in 6 moths. Hang in there.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
jlh1 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #22
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G'day jlhi,
Hope you are well. I didn't have neasea, but did have some bad a.... migrans. Beleive it or not they just stop happening. I don't know why or how, they just stopped.
Like Mulhie said just hang in there.
Never give up on your recovery.

George

Old 05-21-2012, 07:40 AM   #23
(female)

Casey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB User

jlh1,
It's me again, Casey. Will the memory and speech improve? Yes of course. Next week you will be better than this week. And the week after that and so on. I wish it go faster but it doesn't. The brain healing itself is a slow mysterious process.

My memory came back in chunks. To this day I can't remember a name or phone number that I've heard five minutes ago. And when I try to recall the simple names that I should know (the street I lived on as a kid, my favorite parsley salad, the game show with Alex Trebek), it's a crap shoot if I'll get it right. I've learned to write everything down as I hear it and then hope I recall the right words when I need them in conversation. Gosh, I hate living this way but there's no alternative.

Oh...and then there's the word switching. My family calls this FLOOBLES. You said Elk cookies instead of spaghetti. I've made some profound errors. Instead of genetic research I once said genitalia research. Bride instead of groom. The list is huge (the ones I remember). Again, I hate living this way but there's no alternative.

So my round about point is don't give up hope. Because through all this I can hold a job, speak, and get through the day! It's taken a lot of time and energy to get here but you will get to a good point too. Better than today. Just give yourself some time and patience.

Casey

Old 06-10-2012, 03:01 AM   #24
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day jhli,
How you going mate, we haven’t heard from you for a while.
Hope everything is as well as can be, for you and your family.
Don't foget "to keep on,keeping on"
All the very best.
George

Last edited by goingtorun; 06-10-2012 at 03:03 AM.

Closed Thread