It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
(female)

runneld HB User
Husband had a stroke

My husband had a stroke six weeks ago and will be coming home from the hospital next week. I can take care of him this summer, but am really concerned about what will happen this fall when it is time for me to go back to work (I teach in public schools). I'm not sure he will be able to take care of himself, not sure if medicare will pay for help for him, and unable to quit work or retire yet. We are both 56 years old and this is not something I expected to deal with at this age. I figured in twenty years or so. My primary goal is to keep my husband from having another stroke. So many things are on my mind related to his care that I don't even know where to start.

Old 05-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User
Re: Husband had a stroke

I had a massive brain stem stroke December 4th 2011. My condition improved within 2 months of my stroke. My wife works full time and I am home alone each and every day. I think you will be surprised at your husbands capabilities within the next 2-3 months. I now drive my stick shift car, and even work 1 day a week. The doctor said I would never walk again, well, I walk 2 miles each day unaided. Please keep us informed of your husbands progress.

Last edited by goldsworthy; 05-30-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
(female)

runneld HB User

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I have seem more improvement already than I ever imagined. My husband is very anxious to come home next week and is highly motivated to work at his PT and OT. He wants to be able to stay home, so both of us are going to work really hard this summer to see if we can make that happen. I have two close friends who have had strokes; one was over ten years ago, the other was 2 years ago. Both of them are doing well, although they both have some residual effects of the strokes.

The following user gives a hug of support to runneld:
coupe (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

take a look at this book it might help-Healing into Possibility: The Transformational Lessons of a Stroke

The Following User Says Thank You to goldsworthy For This Useful Post:
runneld (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi runneld, I'm very sorry to read of your husband's stroke. though very excited to read of his great improvements. 6 weeks is a very short time, in stroke recovery. I don't know of his impairments or disabilities? but, I think you'll see even greater improvements when he gets home! to familiar setting, sleeping in his own bed, his own bathroom/shower. it's just such a reassuring feeling to know you're well enough to go home and so soon. no longer being told where you have to be and when. it always ticked me off, to be told by those who could do everything for themselves, to tell those of us who can't. how to do what we need to do. when they don't realise it takes most of our energy just to stay awake and focused. he'll learn to adapt to his surroundings and adapt ways to do things that are easier for him his way than the way he was told he had to do them. by the time school starts back in the fall, he'll probably be fine to stay alone during the day? though you calling him to check now & then will give him pleasure. he'll feel less stress knowing you're a phone call away.

when he's tired? let him rest. sleep is very important for several months following stroke. help him with his exercises and increase not only the intensity of them but also the intent, intend to be as best he can. recovery can go on for years, I'm nearly 20 years post stroke, and still see improvements.

determination breads progress-progress breads success- success breads happiness, confidence and self esteem

good luck and god bless you both

Larry/coupe

Old 06-01-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
(female)

Brinsy06 HB User

Hi Runneld-I'm glad you found this forum! I think you will find it inspiring when you feel you are at your wits end! I know I did and still do. My father at age 65 had a stroke in November 2011 and is still unable to walk or use the bathroom on his own. My mother is his sole caregiver and works full time and also works a part time job. If I may offer some advice for what to do when you go back to school in the fall: we have a wonderful aide provided to us by the VA (my dad is an army vet) and a another wonderful woman from our church who stays during the day after the aide leaves. Just some suggestions on where to find help should you need it in the fall. Sounds like your husband is on his way to a speedy, full recovery. Such good news! I sure hope one day I will be able to write and tell you all my dad is staying on his own and can get himself to the bathroom. One thing I will stress-your husband sounds like he is very motivated to get better, which is great. Never let him lose this attitude! He will need to work on his own as therapy at home tends not to be enough or often enough! Something we are currently struggling with with my dad. He seems to think time will heal all, no work required. Good luck in your journey-we'll all be thinking of you and your husband!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
(female)

runneld HB User

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I am looking forward to getting my husband back home. I am praying that with both of us working together we will get him to the point where he can be fairly independent by August when I have to go back to work.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User

I would be very interested in hearing what symptoms your husband had and how he is doing now. My hubby had his stroke Feb 29 and his right side was affected (he's left handed). He also lost half his vision - all to the right, and it hit his speech center, leaving him with aphasia. He doesn't know how to do simple things, like use the TV remote, but we are working on everything.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
(female)

Casey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB UserCasey991 HB User

Runneld,
I had two back to back strokes on May 5 and then 7 2010. When I came home from the hospital I was using a cane, my speech was garbled and I needed lots of help with simple tasks. Improvement came in spurts and I was back at work within 2 months. Of course every stroke is different but I do believe that improvement just continues over time and you can't give up hope.

I still have my cane (I named him Charles, we are not friends) but I don't use it anymore. I limp slightly and have a bit of foot drop. I also drop dishes and the car keys at least once a week. I also have a few memory and speech issues. This was all true a few months after my strokes. With all that, very few people even know I am a stroke survivor unless I tell them.

I am not the old Casey! But this Casey..me now...is able to manage! Hopefully your husband will too.

Casey

Old 06-23-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello and welcome
I am very glad you found this board. As you can tell by the responce to your post, there are lots of caring people and lots of information here.
I had my stroke at 54 years old. I celebrated my 2 years on Thursday. My recovery was slow and constant. I never gave up. I went from wheel chair to walker to cane and now I leave the cane sometimes. Many of my symptoms have greatly improved or gone. Some come back if I really push myself. Your husband will recover and will continue to improve. You must tell him to never give up, and constantly move forward. Like Larry said rest is important and your husband is so early in stroke recovery. The brain swells when we have a stroke and one side of the brain fights with the other untill the swelling goes down. Some of the symptoms are from this and sometimes it causes us to feel we are going 2 steps forward and 3 back. But never loose faith. It is a constant up hill climb and everyone on this board knows what it took to climb that mountain in their own recovery. But one thing we will all agree on It is never over till its over. We were all saved for a reason and it was not to waste our life. Tell your husband to surround himself with things he likes. Tell him to move forward but when he gets tired rest.
Im afraid im getting tired and soon what I type will not make any sence. So I will end my post. I hope I can help you again. God Bless and please keep posting. Let us know how your doing too. Its not easy being the caregiver. It is a wonderful but heart breaking job when the person we are caring for is our family. So please make sure you keep posting.
God Bless Mulchie

Closed Thread