It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Mulchie Needs Some Help

Hello Everyone
I have been to the doctors and had blood work done. My cholesterol has gone from 1.4 to 4.75 in six months. I was on Crestor for a year and half but it was causing terrible muscle pain and weakness so I tried lipitor and it gave me head aches and muscle pain. Soooooo I am on nothing. The doctors are screaming saying I have tripled my risk for stroke. Leave it to the doctors to send you home feeling like its your fault and your going to drop dead any minute. I am on a very high fiber, low fat diet. Eat beef once a month the rest of the time fish chicken and veggie meat balls made from chic peas and oatmeal and bran and lots of spices. They are tastie believe it or not and they are pure fibre low low low fat. I take omega three, krill, I have lost a whopping 11 pounds ( I know thats not much) and I am not regimented on my walking because of fatique.
So the reason I am posting is to see if anyone has any ideas or things they have tried to drive that cholesterol number down. Im up for any suggestions. Very confused and worried if the number keeps climbing.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 06-07-2012, 03:03 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Mulchie Needs Some Help

G’day Mulchie how you going mate,
Good on you for the weight loss. I’m trying to lose weight but all I seem to do see-sore without any permanent weight loss.
Mate you really got to reduce your fat intake. Easier said than done? Cut down on dairy products or choose the low-fat types. Have polyunsaturated margarine or oil in lieu of better. Cut all the fat of your meat, eat skinless chicken and fish. Try not frying your food, baking it instead. Basically reduce the amount of animal fat in your diet. Last but not least lose weight, yeh like I can talk.
Mate good luck; keep us informed on how you’re going.
Have you heard any news on how Tim’s travelling? I hope he’s well.
George

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (06-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hi George
Thank you for the tips. Your absolutly right about the animal fats and I do sneak the odd bit of butter now and again. AND I love to cook and i think I eat more while taste testing my cooking and those little bits are all free calories dont ya know!! LOL It is so disheartening to see those numbers climb when your trying so hard. But George your right about the weight loss. I wonder if I lost 50 pounds what my numbers would be. I think its time I found out. It would help if I didnt love food so much and love to cook. I have made it a real challenge lately to cook as low cal and as tastie as I can. We shall see.
George I have only heard that Tim is doing okay and he is getting the chance read the board site. So any and all best wishes sent to him I think he is reading them. Janet tells me he is doing okay and we hope to see him back posting very soon.
George I noticed your mood is posted as stressed. Want to share whats going on. Are you okay?
God Bless Mulchie

Old 06-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

Kaycon HB UserKaycon HB User

Hi Mulchie
The only thing that worked for me unfortunately was pills I'm on Simvastatin, apparently I over produce my own cholesterol so no amount of watching what I ate did any good for me. I have been lucky and have had no side affects with this drug, I know how much we all hate taking pills but sometimes that's all we can do. I hope you can sort it out.
Good Luck
Kay

The Following User Says Thank You to Kaycon For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (06-07-2012)
Old 06-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Thank you Kaycon
Now thats a drug I havent heard of before. The only two they have tried me on were Crestor and Lipitor however, they both had bad side effects the Lipitor worse than the Crestor. But Crestor sure did the trick keeping it very low. Once I came off it it just sored. So I will write that name down and research it. Thank you
God Bless Mulchie

Old 06-07-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

hi Mulchie, I hope you are well as can be? I too had my cholesterol numbers go way up, don't remember the exact number? I was put on zocor, which helped cholesterol some, then triglycerides were too high, and put on Zetia sp? that drug, I couldn't take. I thought, I was going to have to rip the handle off a 5 gallon bucket and run it through the belt loops on my pants! I couldn't get more than 10 feet away from a bathroom. I had gotten up to 210 pounds, @ 5'11" not overweight? but more than I wanted I then started taking Nature maid fish oil omega 3 "no burp" was taking 3- 1250 Mg's at breakfast and 2 more at dinner. that 6000 Mg's per day they are pretty good sized pills, I found out quick "do not take with hot coffee' unless you're the kind that eats live gold fish? it's like drinking the oil off the top in a tuna fish can! still cholesterol and triglycerides were high. about 8-9 month ago I added green tea complex supplement pills to my regimen 4- 250 Mg's a day. which is supposed to boost your metabolism? like you, my exercises are limited to my condition. I didn't change my diet really too much, I didn't change my exercises, except to whenever I set down to eat. or most ever time I set, I'll set and stand back up using only my legs, not pushing myself up with my good hand. that pretty much sums up my exercises. my last blood work came back with the lowest number for everything it has been for years this morning I weighed in at 180.4 pounds I've lost about 30 pounds, simply adding the green tea and setting and standing.

I hope this helps? good luck and god bless

Larry/coupe
PS. I've talked to Tim, I've no doubt he'll be back soon. I sure hope so!

Last edited by coupe; 06-07-2012 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling

The following user gives a hug of support to coupe:
Mulchie (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Wow Larry that weight loss is awesome. 30 pounds That is a very big boost to your well being. congratulations. Its so hard I really take my hat off to anyone who accomplishes it. I know I have to continue to loose and that will be my saving grace I think. Since the stroke everything seems to different. It is very confusing when doctors dont agree and pills are making you sicker and no one has any anwers they are just giving you something to think about all night long. "you doubled your risk for stroke" Oh boy!!! Like I did it on purpose. Yes I woke up one day and said I think I will drive my cholesterol up and made that my mission. Really, Really, they should think before they speak.
I am going to look into the green tea extract. I have heard alot about that. Thank you.
Larry you made me laugh Im sorry but coffee and fish oil capsales you were pretty good at describing the events that occured from that mistake. OH YUK!! All these suppliments and the size of horse pills. Too hard to swallow. I take mine with yogurt.
Thanks again Larry its great to know your doing so well. God Bless Mulchie

Closed Thread