It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
(female)

apri123 HB User
My cousin

My first cousin 40 years old had a massive ischemic stroke that has left her unresponsive except eye movement and movement of her right hand. Has trache and feeding tube. She had been in ICU for 11 days and now doctor recommending a skilled nurse care facility. I am looking to talk with others who have similar situations. I am wondering it the skilled nurse facility means that there is no hope of recovery compared to sending her to a rehabilition facility. Or is this the same?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2012, 01:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: My cousin

Gíday April123,
Hope you and all your loved ones are well. I havenít experience the some conditions as your cousin, but I did have a rather nasty brain stem clot back in March 2010. There was not much hope of me walking again. Well Iím walking again; itís not real pretty, but Iíll take it any way I can.
I learnt very early on, that canít play the comparison game. No one stroke is the same as the other. Whatís good for one person may not work for another.
Your cousin may need the care of a skilled nurse at first, and then when she becomes stronger she will need to go to a rehabilitation facility. Iím not sure of the difference, in the USA, assume you live there. In my experience, a nursing facility will get to a level, where you can actually undergo physical therapy.
The most important thing is never, ever give up, not for one second. Your cousin has to stay positive at all times, your support and that of all the people around her, is most important at the moment. She has to be encouraged and praised for any effort or improvement she makes.
Please keep in touch, the guys here are amazing people
All the best
George

Last edited by goingtorun; 06-10-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
(female)

Sandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB UserSandy Caregiver HB User
Re: My cousin

My aunt had a double stroke and when we went to see her, only her eyes moved. She did come out of it and was OFFERED therapy to walk, but told them she was not going to be an old gimp leg and took a wheel chair INSTEAD. Well, sometimes vanity can go against you. Anyway, she was taken care of by her hubby till he died, then went to a nursing home. She talked and we would see her at family gatherings, but I don't know how much she could and could not do, in reality, and how much help she needed. I can only say, that she did not remain paralyzed in bed with just her eyes moving, but became a 'normal' kind of disabled.

Closed Thread