It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #1
(male)

Jerusalem HB User
Question Silent stroke

Has anyone had a silent stroke in the cerebellum?
If so, did you feel anything? Do you feel any changes in your life now that you know?

Old 06-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User
Re: Silent stroke

Hello and welcome
Yes I had a silent stroke. My first stroke went undetected and when I look back now I did know something was wrong but the doctor didnt agree with my concerns. I even asked for a test to see if I was early alsymer ( sorry spelling) because I was having some concerns. No physical signs other than a definet unexplained decrease in energy. And not anything that I can say happened on a specific day.
Looking back now I am very angry it wasnt detected because maybe I could have prevented the second one which was much more debilitating.
I am always saying to people, insist on answers, insist on getting to the bottom of things, insist on the tests. I guess the reason I am always mentioning it is because of my first stroke being missed.
If you feel comfortable share some information with us. Tell us what your going through.
God Bless Mulchie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
(male)

Jerusalem HB User
Exclamation Re: Silent stroke

Thanks for your kind reply. On the one hand, I am happy that my stroke was without symptoms or damage, and that at least
now I can do my best to avoid another stroke. On the other hand, I am now
waiting for the next stroke to come and nervous about
what it will do to me.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello To you Jeruselum, and welcome to the stroke board. We are happy to have you.

this issue of "silent stroke" is very interesting, as I had not thought of it that way. At the time of my stroke, I was overcome by a head ache that was completely debilitating.

I can understand how unsettling it could be to sit there waiting for the other shoe to drop. On the other hand, you have survived for a reason, and that reason may remain unknown to you.

I think you will find a nice group of people here who understand what you are going through, and provide you with answers to your questions. I am looking forward to getting to know you better.

Time for me to get to bed, good night.
Janet

Old 06-19-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
(male)

eemgee HB Usereemgee HB User

G'Day Jerusalem,
Welcome to the board.
This is the first time I have heard of another person having a complete & sudden lack of energy, Please take note of what happened to me and seek out a C.T. scan to check if you have had a stroke.
I was having sudden bouts of a complete collapse of energy, sometimes while out walking or sometimes when working, so I consulted my cardiologist (I had been going to him since having a triple bypass 8 years earlier) who proceeded to put me on a treadmill whilst recording what happened, I passed the treadmill test but when I sat down my heart fibrillated & I had to be zapped to get it working correctly again.
I was then sent off for an ablation where an electrical path in the heart was burnt.
A few months later I had the major stroke but after recovering from a 3 week coma I was told that I had had 4 bleeds on the brain but they could not say when I had had them so I strongly suspect that some happened before the major stroke & that's why I suggest you look further into these sudden collapses of energy.
Sorry I just realised it was Mulchie that had the lack of energy episodes.
Wayne

Last edited by eemgee; 06-19-2012 at 12:11 AM.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Positive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB UserPositive Cynic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerusalem View Post
Thanks for your kind reply. On the one hand, I am happy that my stroke was without symptoms or damage, and that at least
now I can do my best to avoid another stroke. On the other hand, I am now
waiting for the next stroke to come and nervous about
what it will do to me.
Hello Jerusalem and welcome.
When you said you had a "silent stroke", it was probably a TIA (transient ischemic attack). TIAs and strokes cause the same symptoms, such as paralysis (opposite side of body from affected brain hemisphere) or sudden weakness or numbness. A TIA may cause sudden dimming or loss of vision, aphasia, slurred speech and mental confusion. But unlike a stroke, the symptoms of a TIA can resolve within a few minutes or 24 hours. Brain injury may still occur in a TIA lasting only a few minutes.

I had several TIA's before my major stroke. However I did not know it at the time. And being a man (ha ha) I didn't want to go to a doctor and ignored it. You are smarter than I was. You understood there was a problem and seeking advice. Please see a doctor and tell him what is going on with you. A TIA is a warning for you and you can avoid a major stroke. You may need blood pressure medication (there are many different ones), and probably a blood thinner. The most common thinners are Coumadin and Plavix. My doctor gave me Plavix and it really upset my stomach, so now he suggests 325mg of coated aspirin, 3 omega fish oil and folic acid once a day. My major stroke was in January of 2010 and so far so good - as in no strokes or TIA's since my medications. I also suggest stroke survivors to drink as much water as you can. Our brain is 90% water and most people are dehydrated and don't even know it. Also if you smoke, try and quit and if you drink alcohol, try to
drink moderately and seldom. Let us know how you are doing and try not to worry about another stroke. The worry will only make you nuts.

God Bless,
Tim

Last edited by Positive Cynic; 06-19-2012 at 07:07 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to Positive Cynic:
Mulchie (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello again:
You were saved for a reason and you have the insight in knowing you had one and can do everything to prevent another one. How great is that. I think everyone here will agree we all spent time with that worry of having another one. But eventually you must step forward and start living unafraid. How long we stay in the worry zone is different for everyone. Its understandable and it is well deserved, after all WE HAD A STROKE. However dont stay there for long. It is a waist of a great life you have been given a second chance. Thats how I look at it. One day while sitting on the side of my bed consumed with fear of another stroke. Afraid to sleep, it hit me, I was saved for a reason what was that reason going to be. It certainly wasnt going to be a life saved to live in fear. So I layed down and went to sleep.
It is all a mind set. How we process what has happened to us and how we set forth a new set of guide lines to live under. A new set of rules. My life is much more enjoyable now even though the stroke left me in discomfort and unable to work or drive. My life has never been richer because of the mind set. I immediatly eliminated certain things from my life that were sucking the joy from me. I refuse to be part of anything that pulls me down or steels my energy. I have completly redesigned my life and I must tell you, its great.
I wish you well, I pray you find faith in knowing you have a great life infront of you. I believe if my life is one hour, one day, one year, or 50 years I will live it well.
Keep posting and let us know how your doing. God Bless Mulchie

Old 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #8
(female)

carol1211k HB User

Yes, I have had two. Actually, I'm pretty sure the first one was a few days after a back surgery--everything was spinning and I had to lay down on the floor. Gradually I couldn't talk. My husband found me quickly and called 911. They did a CT scan and found nothing. It was several years later that two "old" strokes in my cerebellum showed up on another CT scan.

The only effect I've had is balance problems. I fall down a lot!

Closed Thread