It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
(female)

carrikins66 HB User
psychological strokes?

My boyfriend who is 42 experienced a stroke 6 weeks ago. His left side (arm and leg) as well as short term memory were effected. The doctors did all the standard tests (mri, ct, ultra sounds, and x-rays) to try and locate the stroke, and have not found anything. They are now suggesting that his stroke could be psychological?...does a stroke always leave damage in an area of the brain that the doctors can see it?...or is there such a thing as sometimes not being able to find it?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: psychological strokes?

There are definitely strokes that occur that don't show up on tests, especially early on. A stroke is either a clot in an artery in the brain or a bleed in a blood vessel.Some people have "mini" strokes, called a TIA, transient ischemic attacks, that don't show up at all. Others can have migraine headaches with a stroke-like presentation. At his age, he deserves a full blown work-up to determine any predisposing factors to clots, such as hereditary clotting disorders (a hematologist would test for this) anti-phospholipid antibodies, carotid ultrasound, echocardiogram (to see if clots are forming in the heart and being thrown off), cholesterol and homocysteine check in the blood. It is imperative to try to find the cause of the stroke, so further strokes can be prevented. I have never heard of "Psychological stroke". Sounds like a cop-out to me. Smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and homocysteine can predispose to vascular disease that can result in strokes. I would pursue this with a different neurologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #3
(female)

carrikins66 HB User

thankyou for your reply. Yes it has been frustrating to be told it could all be in his head!?
They have done all the tests that you mentioned and has seen 2 different specalists...he is a very low risk for stroke...no smoking...no drinking....not overweight...loves life...healthy otherwise...had blood work done for cholesterol 6 months ago...it was all good...so i just do not understand...its very frustrating for him and myself to not have answers. Other thean we may have to except the fact, that they just can't find it...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

psychological strokes? eeee I dont think so!

Closed Thread