It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #16
(female)

flyingaimlessly HB User
Re: Is My Neurologist too Dramatic?

Seems like every time I go to another doctor I wind up with more questions that nobody seems to know the answer to.

I went back to my primary on Friday to see what he thought about the neurologists opinion, as he had referred me to him to see if it was MS, or dysautonomia (he'd also considered b-12 deficiency, thoracic outlet syndrome, anxiety and pinched nerves in my neck). Stroke was never even an outside possibility. He's singing a different tune now, saying that a lacunar stroke is a definite possibility and that there's really nothing else he can do for me (he wouldn't even offer any consideration as to why one of my index fingers has been numb for 3 weeks now). He did say, as a parting gift, that it is still very possible that I have MS, and the lesions just aren't visible yet. My question now is, if it's possible to have both a stroke and MS when neither are visible on MRI, and both are diseases of exclusion, how do you diagnose as one or the other? (I realize none of you are doctors on this board, I just thought I'd throw that thought exercise out there for you)

Once we'd debated ourselves in circles for 20 minutes, I said lets just say for the sake of the argument I have had a stroke/have been having small strokes for the past year, how do we move forward? How do I stop this weakening on the left side of my body from getting progressively worse (in the past few weeks it has spread to my outer two fingers and outer two toes), how do I correct the weakness I've already got, and how do I prevent another/more stroke(s)? All he could say was, "I'll let you and the neurologist figure that out." I've never wanted to slap someone so badly in my life, what kind of answer is that? I am going to seek the advice of another neurologist, but the wait times are quite long for the ones covered by my insurance (January), and I've already used up the freebie out of network on this other guy.

So, my long winded question to you all is, what's next? Once you've had a stroke how do you recover your strength and get back to normal muscle sensations? I used to enjoy doing weight circuits at the gym, but I've found that as the strength differential between the two sides of my body has gotten wider, it's very difficult to do things that require both sides, especially anything that involves lifting your arms over your head.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #17
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

You must never give up. You will recover, how much we do not know but you will recover if you keep moving forward. Yes its hard, and yes it can some days feel like your going two steps forward and three back. But you keep pushing forward and the strength will come back. Like I said we dont know how much but I can tell you I went from wheel chair, to walker to cane and I am walking on a treadmill every day 22 minutes and started with the strengthening bands work out and I do yoga. I know some times the progresson is slow but you must not get descouraged. Push on my friend and know that you were saved for a reason. You are going to get well you are going to get stronger. Keep a good mind set and be determined. You will read story after story of people making amazing recovery I think the hardest part is keeping your mind set. Not letting discouragement and doubt creep in. It is courage and strength and you have both. Please keep posting
God Bless Mulchie

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
flyingaimlessly (08-21-2012), stellar7 (09-20-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM   #18
(female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

Thanks Mulchie, I appreciate the support.

Got some more blood work back today and learned that I'm Vitamin D deficient, and have high LDL and total cholesterol, but normal on all other cholesterol levels. I've got mixed feelings about that; discovering the vitamin d deficiency gives me a little hope that there might be a magic bullet out there to fix what ails me, but the cholesterol suggests that I may have to accept that it really has been a series of small strokes.

I wish doctors had been more persistent in explaining the dangers of obesity to me and my parents when I was young. I feel like this could have been avoided had I not waited until my mid 20s to start taking exercise seriously.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Oh I hear ya. regrets regrets but you know, looking back does us no good. Wisdom is doing now what we will be happy with later on. Its never too late.
Vitamin D deficient is terrible I know what that feels like. You joints ache your body aches and its your happy pill. You are going to feel so much better once you have been on the vitamin D for a few weeks. It really does make a very big difference in our every day life. I am on 4000 mg a day my daughter is also deficient and is on 2000 per day. It has made a very big difference in how I feel.
Yes the weight is an battle I have dealt with my whole life too. I wish I had done something a long time ago but I didnt. But it is what we do now that can make a profound difference in our lives. Remember its never over till its over and you stand at the edge of a brand new life. Make it what you want it to be. Keep Posting
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
stellar7 (09-20-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 02:47 AM   #20
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’Day Flyingaimlessly,
Hope your feeling as well as can be today. A good friend of mine and a stroke survivor himself, once said to me “do you like the way you are , do you want to stay this way the rest of your life. Well if you don’t try or give up that’s how you’ll stay”.
No one can tell you how much or when you will improve, it’s up to you to give it your best shot, right now. You have to start by getting yourself in the best shape you possibly can. It’s not going to be easy, but what is? Work with your capabilities; take baby steps, things take time.
The main goal is to keep moving forward all be it so slow. Don’t look back, you’ll have some set backs, but so do Olympians. Its never to late to get yourself in to shape. Remember baby steps and you’ll get there.
george

Last edited by goingtorun; 08-22-2012 at 02:51 AM.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: goingtorun
Mulchie (08-22-2012), stellar7 (09-20-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
stellar7 (09-20-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #21
(female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

In an interesting turn of events, my neurologist took a lacunar stroke off the table after seeing my ultrasounds for himself and determining that I don't have any narrowing in my arteries. Now I don't know what to think. I've felt a lot better energy wise over the last few weeks after finally getting back to normal iron levels, and adding Vitamin D and Folic Acid to my daily supplements, but nothing is making this weakness on the left side of my body budge at all. Even tried physical therapy for several weeks and nothing changed.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #22
Inactive
(female)

That is such good news about your ateries but I would continue to push him for answers. Why the numbness?
Everything happens for a reason and the reason is what they need to find out. Push for answers you deserve it.
God Bless Mulchie

Reply Reply