It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
(female)

ceedeebee HB User
Don't even realize had a stroke

Anyone had any experience with bilateral thalamic stroke? Seven months in my mom does not fully realize what happened to her, why she's living with me, why she's not in her home. She parrots what I say back to her but does not know fully comprehend or can articulate "I'm living with my daughter because I had a stroke and I'm seeing doctor to get better...".

A few times she does articulate why she's with me and even asks if she ever says anything embarrassing, showing that while rare, she does have these lucid moments. An hour later she thinks mitt Romney called her (I can now tell anything in the background like news somehow gets in her brain and vocalized, even if the sentence while clearly stated has no basis in reality).

Hardly any physical deficits at all.

So perplexing! And frustrating!

Old 07-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Don't even realize had a stroke

Hi there,

I had to look up the bilateral thalamic stroke, as that one did not ring a bell.

From what I read, they are both rare and quite damaging. While I am no expert at reading medical literature, there is some information available online, What I learned was that that particular stroke is the result of several factors coming together at once, occluding a blood supply to both halves of the thalamus, in the base of the brain.The thalamus is the center for control of sleeping and waking, from what I read.

Now lets talk about your mother...What were the circumstance of her stroke? Did anything lead up to it, or was there any warning? Did she get prompt medical care?

While seven months is not that long in stroke recovery terms, has she had any improvements over the last months ? You mention that she does have lucid moments...how often, or with any special circumstances around them, like "only if so and so drops by..." Has she had any therapy? How are her motor skills, and her ability to move around?

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to understand the whole picture. What you express is quite complex, and I wonder if much of it has to do with this particular type of stroke. The symptoms you describe are quite unusual, but also slightly familiar too. I can actually see myself in some of the things you describe.

It is always good to let all this out, if you have been taking care of her for seven months, Feel free to let it out here. This must be very difficult for you to do. If there is anyting we can do to help, we will be happy to do so.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
ceedeebee (07-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
(female)

ceedeebee HB User

Hi. We think given the holidays, her wedding anniversary, eating greens, she neglected taking her Coumadin. Her inr was very low. I saw her fine at 9am, my father found her unconscious at 945 and she went straight to hospital. She has hardly any motor deficits, no crippling or weakness on either side, she can walk, dance, run. Her only physical issue is what docs called "vertical gaze palsy". When's she walks, she looks down. Just looking at her you see nothing. Ten minutes into a lucid conversation, she may say "where's ma, wasn't she just here?". Her mother died 40 years ago! Other times, she'll complain that she hasn't healed fast enough, thankful she's alive - seemingly aware of what's happened, but the next day shes wondering why she's not in her house. (she's living with me in Boston to get care). Her issues were short term memory - she had none, and thats getting much; no emotional affect - that's greatly improved; sleeping all day - she is on a regular sleep cycle but does get tired during dAy. She still has trouble with linear speech (not sure what right phrAse is)' but if you has her how her day was, you get 60% sense, 40% "confabulation". There is definite improvement, what's hard,ESP for dad, is that there are these times when she sounds like she's back only to be thrown for a loop when she asks for someone whom has passed, says she "saw" someone, when she only "spoke" to that person over the phone. And then doubles down when corrected. She used to love to cook and clean, no interest in that yet.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #4
(female)

ceedeebee HB User

I forgot to add she's been taking phys, occ, and speech therapy. They stopped phys therapy soon, as my mothers balance, strength, was all fine. She did her squats,lunges, treadmill,bike, etc. given nature of her stroke, folks were amazed and perplexed. Her speech and occ ther mostly helps with her memory and following directions. So they'll engage her in conversation, stop to hide something, continue, and five minutes later see if she could remember. She could not months ago. Now she can, even hours later, when I test her at home. I just wish she would be consistent, recognizing Yes,I had a stroke, I'm here With my daughter as I recover, but that TRUE recognition does not always seem to be there.

Closed Thread