It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
(female)

jlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB User
Perfusion CT Scan

So I called to see if results were ready from my Angiogram and was told I need to have a Perfusion CT Scan as well and then will get all the info and the next step, etc. My hospiyal doesnt do the test so I am waiting for all the orders and all red tape to go through so I can go to loma linda and get it done.

Has anyone had this test done? There is not a lot of info out there about it like a lot of the other tests or I am asearching wrond\g or somethiung. All I can find is a bunch of news results from a couple yars ago where a few hospitals overdosed the raditaion amounts on a about 400 people total that they know of.

Dr wants to do it to track and measure blood flow and see whats going on with numbness starting on right side and some other complications ive been having. I know its needed just not stoked about the number of cts lately, Ive had the angiogram with dye, and I think 7 cts, three with dye in the last 3 months and now this test, im gonna be glowing soon, lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: Perfusion CT Scan

I just googled it and have been reading articles all afternoon. most of it, way beyond my comprehension abilities

The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
jlh1 (07-25-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #3
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
I just googled it and have been reading articles all afternoon. most of it, way beyond my comprehension abilities
Me too, thanks for trying.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

In perfusion CT scanning, the patient's brain is scanned both with and without contrast. After initial scans without contrast, the patient is given an iodinated contrast material by IV administration and additional scans are taken as the contrast travels through the patient's veins. A third series of scans is taken after the contrast has passed through the veins. The test lasts from 10 to 25 minutes.
Indications

The primary indication for perfusion CT scan is stroke, but the study may also be used to detect and locate blood clots, to locate possible brain tumors, and to assess blood flow, rate of flow and blood volume in the brain.

Contraindications

Perfusion CT scans are not recommended for women who are pregnant because the radioactive material in the contrast dye can harm the fetus. Women who are breastfeeding should wait 24 hours after having the test before continuing to breastfeed. Perfusion CT is contraindicated in persons who are allergic to iodine. The test is also contraindicated in patients with diabetes and those with renal failure

Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
(female)

Thank you, I knew it was kind of simular to a regular ct with and w/o contrast. I go this coming Thursday, excited to see if they decide to do anything surgury wise or if it is what it is. NOt sure which I am hoping for, if I knew there was no risk with the surguey probably that but hes already told me hes not real fond of the idea unless the risks are greazter to me this way. Would love to have normal blod flow to my brain again, I guarentee I would feel a little better. Time to wait.....

Old 08-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
(female)

I had the test yesterday, its a lottle more involved than a regular ct, first iodine can, then sit for a few then they injected me with some kind of "medicine" that has to be injected slowly over five minutes, it was cool and made my head feel like it was going to split open, said it did something to my blood, then scanned, then rehooke up to the iv with more iodine and scanned. The test left me feeling like hell, my mouth is full of blisters and I am freezing, kind of flu like feeling. I have no idea with what exactly they injected me with but will find out soon. They also have you strapped to the bed in an almost like strait jacket type of heavy vest so you can not move and your head is secured much better thn a regular ct. I would not want to do this test again for sure, results will be back in a few days and will be meeting with my neouroligist first week of September, fingers crossed for good news.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: jlh1
guyp (09-06-2012), Mulchie (08-17-2012), writeleft (09-07-2012)
Old 08-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

I am so sorry you had to go through that. It sounds terrible and Im not sure I could have done it. Why the blisters in your mouth? Did you take a reaction to the drug? Oh my what we have to go through. Thank goodness its all behind you and you will get answers for you perserverance. Please let us know how your making out. My prayers go out to you. God Bless Mulchie

Old 09-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Let us know what happens. My prayers are with you.

Old 09-07-2012, 01:19 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Wow, I am glad it is over for you, sounds just awful. I hope in the results will be some relief for you with least amount of impact. AS with all of us, I wish you the very best, and am anxious to hear what you learn from this test.

janet

Old 09-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #10
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Oh my goodness....that's scary! I hope everything turned out okay. I am anxious to hear. I am alergic to iodine and have had three very close incidents of medical mistakes. Although my chart indicated the allergy, three times was almost given contrast with tests. I always ask and ask again while they are wheeling me in for any test! In one case the technician got mad at me for refusing the injection!

Old 09-07-2012, 08:52 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

ME too! I cannot have any contrast dyes due to my kidney failure, but every time someone tries to give it to me.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #12
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
ME too! I cannot have any contrast dyes due to my kidney failure, but every time someone tries to give it to me.

Hi writeleft,
That just blows my mind! One technician said to me...."well I've never had anyone have a reaction to contract" and I said, "well I don't want to be your first!"

Old 09-08-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwamura View Post
Hi writeleft,
That just blows my mind! One technician said to me...."well I've never had anyone have a reaction to contract" and I said, "well I don't want to be your first!"
Whats real funny is even though they say they have never had a reaction, they still make you sign that release telling you there is a risk!. I guess I am lucky as I have had the dye 8 times with scans and no reaction has occured.

Last edited by goldsworthy; 09-08-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:23 AM   #14
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G'Day jln1,
hope you and your loved ones are well, happy and in good sprits.
You certinley been through a great deal, I wish you all the best with your test results.
Remember stay poistive.
George

Old 09-09-2012, 06:15 AM   #15
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Dare I come in here to say I am a complete contrarian and probably a fool since I refused to go anywhere from the instant it happened. The main reason is what I knew about my sibling from the moment the first TIA's struck. Nothing helped, things only got worse and worse and worse and he followed every protocol, every order. I cry for him most every day.

So I resort to learning in books, on the web and from others. I don't know what kind of stroke I had but know it was the left hemisphere because the right side is affected, same as sibling. Now I am dedicated every day to preventing another one. It's been since Dec. 2010. Not bad, I tell myself. But we each must do what we deem best for ourself.

Reply Reply