It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #1
(female)

flwrme HB User
Unhappy flwrme

I had a stroke on July 17th, I am taking PT for weakness in my left leg and balance. I feel so very tired today I'm taking the drug plavix 75mg, Linisinopril 40mg ,for blood presure and 40 mg gernic for Liptor 40 mg, is it the new drog or the stroke thats making me so tired I am also taking an antibotic for sinis infection that also showed up in the MRI. Gods Grace thank you.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: flwrme

Hi there flwrme, and welcome to our group.

We are always happy when a recent stroke survivor finds their way here so soon after their stroke. There are so many questions and discoveries you will be making in the time ahead of you, and we can help you through all of that.

Let me first answer the question that brought you here, and that is about being very tired. You have had a trauma to your brain, there is swelling often, blood supplies have been disrupted or destroyed, and have to be re-routed.. While your brain goes about the process of mending all the damage, and getting, your senses back, it puts a huge strain on you. The brain will focus first on getting itself going again, and take all the energy you can give it. Meanwhile, you are resting and healing. This is a very important part of the process of recovery that I think many of us feel we do not have time to do properly.

I encourage you to let yourself rest when you are tired, and give yourself time to heal. Do you have some support with you at home, it is so soon after your stroke...Have you experienced any weakness or other issues?

Feel free to call on us here if you think of any questions or just need to talk.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
flwrme (07-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
(female)

jlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB Userjlh1 HB User

I agree completely, you need lots of sleep right now to heal, the more the better and lots of water, stay hydrated. Welcome to the board.

The Following User Says Thank You to jlh1 For This Useful Post:
flwrme (07-28-2012)
Old 07-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
(female)

flwrme HB User

Wonder if I picked the right PT giverthey do mostly excerises I can do at home These also cost me a co pay. I mostly feel weak when moving my left leg don't feel quite as tired today but its early, thank you I will start listing to my body Guess I'm in a big hurry. I also feel blessed that it only affected my left leg,I have ta ask my Dr more she did say harding of the arteries was not reverseable I would like to know if it reroutes or the plavix just makes the platelettes not stick together. I worry about having another. That is not a good way to think, I have my husband and 94 year old Mom here with me. My husband thinks whew !! thats over LOL I pretty much drag my self around doing what I have always did. I'm to clean but think about letting some of it go till Hubby says hey why is this not getting done,but think this will take awhile. Mom gets around pretty well so I dont want her to over di it. Thank you so much for being a sounding board. Hugs

Old 07-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #5
(female)

flwrme HB User
Smile Re: flwrme

I have to figure out how this reply thing works I just typed alot in to quick reply.

Old 07-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Thanks for sharing a bit more about your stroke and your situation. So, with the weakness in the left leg being the only noticeable deficit you are very lucky.

As far at the PT goes, I would try and stick with it for the short term, at least. Learn all you can while you are there, and create your own schedule for your PT at home. Once you are sure you are able to keep a regular schedule for PT at home, and you have plenty of exercises in your routine, you can rely on yourself. You are right, that most of the movements are things you can do at home with little or no equipment, it is a very important part of your recovery. Keeping yourself moving is very important. You should be able to see improvements as you go, which is very encouraging.

Many of us experience cognitive issues as well, and for those mind stimulating activities are helpful. My strokes left me with many deficits in my thinking, which we the scariest part for me. Have you noticed any problems with your thinking?

When you mention listening to your body, you really hit that one on the head. This is really a time to do just that. It will tell you everything that you need to do. Rest cannot be emphasized enough, and I also agree about hydration being important, In fact, this is a great time to look at your diet, your activity level, and lifestyle, looking for places to make some changes.

Of course risk of another stroke always increases once you have had one, those risk factors such as high blood pressure, cholesterol, high sodium diets, weight issues and stress add to that risk. Stroke really has a way of stopping us in our tracks, so we can then start over and do things differently. It is the ultimate wake up call.

One of the best things that came out of my strokes (4) was the realization that life is so precious, and can be taken away so quickly. If was are so lucky to survive such an event, that we must use the time we have left with purpose and appreciate the simple pleasures all around us.

janet

Closed Thread