It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
(female)

jessab HB User
HEALTHY 34 year old mom of 2 little kids... just had a stroke

This past Wednesday I had a stroke. I don't have a single medical diagnosis and no risk factors. I am still in shock that it happened! Never once through the course of that day did I ever expect to be told I had a stroke. Initially I thought it was a horrible migraine (though I've never had one before), then I thought possibly aneurysm...but a stroke?! All the tests and imaging studies they did in the hospital were negative...no PFO, good cholesterol, good BP, etc, but there are some tests checking for a clotting disorder still pending. I hope to know more tomorrow. At this point, I am home and just taking a baby aspirin a day. I am VERY fortunate that my only deficit is a minor visual disturbance. My main struggle right now is fear. I'm so afraid that it could happen again at any time, and I feel like next time I probably won't be so fortunate. I am a mom of 2 little kids, ages 2 and 4, and I can't bear to think of not being able to see them grow or being so debilitated that I can't be an active part of their lives. I know it's all very new yet, and hopefully these feelings will diminish, but right now it's awful. I was grateful to find other posts on here from people with similar stories, so thank you for posting. And thank you for taking the time to read my story

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: jessab
Alberta1967 (08-13-2012), flyingaimlessly (08-21-2012), mugric (08-13-2012), writeleft (08-22-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
(female)

MrsRose HB User
Re: HEALTHY 34 year old mom of 2 little kids...just had a stroke

I'm brand new to this forum, but I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm 26, have a 2 year old, and just had what I believe was a TIA (mini stroke). I had all of the symptoms of a stroke (bad headache, left side of face and body went numb, loss of vision left eye, dizziness, confusion...) but when I went to the hospital, they told me all the tests came back normal. ???
I'm trying to find anwers but I have no insurance and can't afford neurologists, MRIs, CTs, LPs, etc....
pretty unnerving, and frustrating.

The following user gives a hug of support to MrsRose:
writeleft (08-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
(female)

MrsRose HB User
Re: HEALTHY 34 year old mom of 2 little kids...just had a stroke

I'm brand new to this forum, but I'm kind of in the same situation. I'm 26, have a 2 year old, and just had what I believe was a TIA (mini stroke). I had all of the symptoms of a stroke (bad headache, left side of face and body went numb, loss of vision left eye, dizziness, confusion...) but when I went to the hospital, they told me all the tests came back normal. ???
I'm trying to find anwers but I have no insurance and can't afford neurologists, MRIs, CTs, LPs, etc....
pretty unnerving, and frustrating.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #4
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User
Re: HEALTHY 34 year old mom of 2 little kids... just had a stroke

I was 37 when I had mine. With 4 kids ages 13, 7, 22 months & a 5 1/2 month old at home. I did have really bad migraines. Little did I know I had an aneurysm. They run in my family, I didn't know that. It was Christmas day 2004. My life has never been the same. I was married, not anymore. My choice. I can walk, but my arm is another story. I am just Thankful to God for allowing me to be here with them & watch them grow up. My little girl (the youngest) & I learned to walk together. I will not lst anyone cut her hair & that was really dumb of me. Little girls have a mind of their own & she does not like to take care of it like I think she should. But it does get better. That I can say. Just take one day at a time. Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessab View Post
This past Wednesday I had a stroke. I don't have a single medical diagnosis and no risk factors. I am still in shock that it happened! Never once through the course of that day did I ever expect to be told I had a stroke. Initially I thought it was a horrible migraine (though I've never had one before), then I thought possibly aneurysm...but a stroke?! All the tests and imaging studies they did in the hospital were negative...no PFO, good cholesterol, good BP, etc, but there are some tests checking for a clotting disorder still pending. I hope to know more tomorrow. At this point, I am home and just taking a baby aspirin a day. I am VERY fortunate that my only deficit is a minor visual disturbance. My main struggle right now is fear. I'm so afraid that it could happen again at any time, and I feel like next time I probably won't be so fortunate. I am a mom of 2 little kids, ages 2 and 4, and I can't bear to think of not being able to see them grow or being so debilitated that I can't be an active part of their lives. I know it's all very new yet, and hopefully these feelings will diminish, but right now it's awful. I was grateful to find other posts on here from people with similar stories, so thank you for posting. And thank you for taking the time to read my story

Old 08-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

Alberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB UserAlberta1967 HB User

I was 37 when I had mine. With 4 kids ages 13, 7, 22 months & a 5 1/2 month old at home. I did have really bad migraines. Little did I know I had an aneurysm. They run in my family, I didn't know that. It was Christmas day 2004. My life has never been the same. I was married, not anymore. My choice. I can walk, but my arm is another story. I am just Thankful to God for allowing me to be here with them & watch them grow up. My little girl (the youngest) & I learned to walk together. I will not lst anyone cut her hair & that was really dumb of me. Little girls have a mind of their own & she does not like to take care of it like I think she should. But it does get better. That I can say. Just take one day at a time. Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessab View Post

Old 08-13-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

It will be okay. I know the fear you are feeling. You are fortunate for minor issues. At least it was found so now it can be controlled. Please use us as a sounding board as many people here have gone through some of the same issues. God bless and take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
jessab (08-17-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

It will be okay. I know the fear you are feeling. You are fortunate for minor issues. At least it was found so now it can be controlled. Please use us as a sounding board as many people here have gone through some of the same issues. God bless and take care.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello and welcome to our family I am so glad you found us. Everyone here understands the fear and anxiety that comes with the shock of first knowing you had a stroke. That word blew through my head like a train. It puts us in shock and disbelieve and fear. But remember you are on the asprin now that is a stroke prevention drug. It sounds like you are getting good medical care and lots of tests are being done. Thats good. So many people cant get the medical field to do the necessary tests. Now in saying that, dont back down on insisting they find out why so you can prevent and continue living a great life with your children. Also remember when you go to bed tonight, you were saved for a reason and thank God you only have very minimal results from the stroke. Please remember you have been given this chance and its not a death sentence its a life sentence. Celebrate your alive and well and carring for your darlin children and you are going to find out why and prevent this from ever happening again. Sometimes we are given these gifts of insight so we can go on living a terrific life. You were saved for a reason, how great is that. Hug those babies and tell yourself a thousand times a day, I AM GOING TO ROCK MY GRANDBABIES AND DANCE AT THEIR WEDDING.
Please Please keep posting we are here for you.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 08-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
(female)

jessab HB User

Thank you so much for your kind message. It was very touching. God bless you, too!

Last edited by jessab; 08-17-2012 at 07:39 PM.

Old 08-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
(female)

Sophieboris HB User

Jessab,

I just posted my first post here yesterday. I had a stroke on July 21st, was Life Flighted and the clot dissipated or dissolved so I came to and was basically fine. I spent two days in the hospital and they found nothing. Absolutely nothing so they said it was a TIA.

Eight days later my primary physician ordered an MRI with contrast and an appointment with a neurologist. The neurologist told me, my husband and 14 year old daughter that I had had 3 strokes! They showed up on the MRI with contrast and did not show up on the CT scan or the CT with contrast a week earlier.

I have no idea what kind of medical bills I am looking at because I just spent 3 more days in the hospital where they ran a million test.

If you can, get them to do an MRI with contrast. That might show your problem.

Good luck and I feel your pain,

Paula

The Following User Says Thank You to Sophieboris For This Useful Post:
mangthizzle (10-23-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Anyone having a stroke for no apparent reason at an early age should have a hematology workup to check for predisposition to clotting. There are a number of abnormalities, some genetic, that make people more prone to clots, and these can be identified thru blood work done by a hematologist. One of the most common, antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, affects typically young females of childbearing age. If clotting predispositions are found, preventive medicinces can be taken to prevent future strokes. This whole concept is often overlooked! Homocysteine elevation is another one that is treated with vitamins. These are simple blood tests, but you might have to insist on seeing a hematologist to get them done. Jessab, you are lucky your Drs are on the ball in testing you for clotting disorders. That is a key in preventing future problems. So glad your effects from the stroke are minimal.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #12
(female)

flyingaimlessly HB User

Every time I read another one of these threads I'm just blown away at the number of young people having strokes. I can't offer you much advice, as I'm still struggling to come to terms with this news myself, but keep your head up Jessab. There are a lot of inspiring survivors on this board.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Jessab, and the other new members..

Welcome to all the new members of our stroke forum. We are always so happy when each and everyone of you arrive here because we know it to be the best place to come, and share our support and knowledge about stroke recovery. We have lived out so many stories of inspiration and survival here.

Anyone who is new, feel free to start your own thread, or story about yourself, so we can keep everyone's story straight. Lots of memory loss here! ha ha.

As you can already see, there are so many commonalities between us, and some major differences as well. The fear is number one on the list of things we all experience. For many of us, the realization comes after we wake up to find we cannot move, or speak or see. That is one rude awakening. But to be told after experiencing few if any symptoms, is really weird. In those cases, we are not talking about the most common forms of stroke. It is disturbing to see how many new and different types of strokes are afflicting younger and younger people, especially women.

No longer is the typical stroke survivor destined to be pushed off into a corner somewhere after very long and slow recovery. We want more, and we are getting more.

I hope each of you will start your own thread if you haven't already, and tell us something about you and your strokes. That way we can focus on everyone individually, and we each can share our support and friendship.

Jessab, I hope you have found a bit of relief in knowing a bit more about the part clotting might have for you. Knowledge is power, and some peace of mind is a huge part of your own recovery.

I have lost track of the other concerns and questions, so I will have to go back and reply to the other ones I missed.

Again, welcome, we are glad you are all here.

Janet

Old 08-23-2012, 10:16 AM   #14
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

I had TIAs 3 times before my major brain stem stroke. Its important to get stroke preventive treatment after having a TIA. You need to get with your doctor ASAP and check your cholesterol, blood pressure and general health condition. I am sure they found nothing after your TIA as the blockage went away before permanent damage was done. Its unlikely they would see anything on a scan. TIAs are serious and your body is trying to warn you of a impending major stroke. Its not to late to try to prevent a stroke from happening. Go see your doctor and put your foot down and demand treatment.

Last edited by goldsworthy; 08-23-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Closed Thread