It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM   #16
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: My Stroke

Who can bring joy to others as you can Mulchie? Very few. Thank you.

Now I'll ask you: were you as loving before brain zap? I ask because I think one of the positive side effects of stroke is less obvious, emotional, more intense feelings. Is it because we know how vulnerable we are yet were spared the worst disasters? Is it because we appreciate the simplest things never to be taken for granted?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
Iwamura (12-06-2012), Mulchie (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #17
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

My answer is that I am more of a beeeaach now and have a ton of animosity towards my boss because of the way I have been treated AND lack of understanding of what I am going through. I have picked up on remarks such as "just a mini stroke" and it makes me have bad thoughts and NO respect for this person.

I am typically a very nurturing and caring person before and after the stroke. I still go over and beyond to help ppl. I am tender hearted. If I had a second career i would volunteer my time at a nursing home. This was something I did at a very young age. I helped care for an elder lady when I was 13 until i was old enough to get a real job.

I will agree that life does take on a new meaning and the smallest things are appreciated more than ever! As I have said many times.....I AM thankful.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

YOu made me laugh when you asked that question and it made me really think about how I was before the stroke and how I am now.
Before the stroke I worried tooooooooo much about what people thought. I was shy, quiet and afraid to try new things for fear of critism. Now I dont care. I am much closer to God and really feel blessed that I have been given a second chance to do better, and not be afraid. It is how I always wanted to be but lacked the courage. I think the stroke has given me a gift of courage to be who I really am. I dont waist time worrying, I dont waist time freting about what people think. Even though the stroke took my math skills my ability to multi task, I dont walk as good as I use to and I dont have the stamina I use to have. But I am still me deep down inside Im still here and the stroke gave me wings and the ability to be myself something I have never been. I have always wanted more than anything to help people. It is what I want to do and I hope I can do a better job of that with the second chance I have been given. Freedom comes not from what you can do phsyically. Freedom comes from doing what your heart and soul always cried out to do and life got in the way. So this stroke blessed me with the courage to do what my soul and heart has always wanted to do. For that I am forever greatful and feel blessed. So yes the stroke has had a very big effect on my life but all for the good.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-07-2012, 08:22 AM   #19
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

OK, that settles it: it is time to emerge the people we really are. Tell the Boss off, for one thing, teach others a thing or two. Stand up for ourselves, speak up for ourselves, do what suits us best. How's that for a twist on stroke?

I must confess that I have this theory about stroke that evolved as I lived with my brother's strokes, his terrible suffering, and then experienced my stroke. Have compared our paths endlessly and remain so heartbroken over his 4 years of horrific suffering, wondering why we were struck this way while no-one else in our extended family was. Somehow I think there is an x-factor besides the common ones identified. My invigorated right brain (left brain injury) is driving this sort of out of the box thinking telling me not to give up. Just some brain storming.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
Mulchie (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #20
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hahahaha tinam7 you crack me up! It's tongue in cheek for now while I sit back and watch this person who is now struggling with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I wish no ill upon my worst enemy!

Thank you for making me laugh!

The following user gives a hug of support to Iwamura:
Mulchie (12-07-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 06:31 AM   #21
(female)

Sure makes me happy to bring smiles and laughter which send out good hormones throughout our body.

Yet my newly awakened right brain (asleep most of my life) wants to put forth a cautionary note. Tell Boss off as much as you like in your car or walking or ranting at him wherever no-one is around. But in his presence, right brain tells me, we must tread cautiously with those who have power over us. This makes sense. We are grand experts at keeping cool and calm. What the heck, our very existence depends on it.

It is wonderful to come here, complain, criticize, blame, fault however we want to. We also strengthen our resolve, our hope, our optimism, our courage, as Mulchie says. The fact that we can think, speak, understand, see, hear, feel, swallow, breathe, digest, eliminate, wash, dress, move.....is there much better?

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (01-09-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #22
(female)

Happy New Year!

Today I am doing good....not great but good! I have so much to be thankful for.

Just a couple updates: with the help of Lipitor and diet changes I have lowered my total cholesterol to 91!!!! Yes, I had to ask twice did she mean 191. Lol THEN I went by the clinic to get a copy of the labs.

My BP meds are doing OK. (BP pill, calcium blocker, and 32mg Bayer aspirin) My BP spikes which scares me but I think I'm doing ok. At one time BP was too low and felt fainty when I stood up. I think this is the 3rd type of BP med and many dosage adjustments.

I stopped the cymbalta about a month ago because numbness had radiated to my lower lip and had started moving down under my chin. Now on lyrica which isn't doing a thing for me.

SO the pain levels are high with a different sensation. I believe I remember reading on here that another survivor had the same feeling. It feels like a 4 inch band is around my leg just above the knee and squeezing it. It hurts! Same thing with my arm and hand! Hard to explain. Lol but I'm not crazy, right? Lol

I've noticed my neck and shoulder are getting stiffer by the day. I need to get back in therapy! Just hated missing work to go. I know....shame on me!

anyway, I hope my update finds you fine and dandy!

Much love to all of you,
Iwamura

Mulchie (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 05:11 AM   #23
(female)

This is all really such good news. Can you maybe consult with a PT to come up with exercises to help with leg and arm? Sometimes just distracting ourself can make a difference. I get odd sensations too and find the more I move and exercise, the better. I use free weights, stretch bands. Just a thought.

Also got cholesterol down with careful diet and exercise. BP will always fluctuate, I think, but as long as we get good readings, keep stress under control, I am optimistic.

Nice update.....thank you. Love to you and all strokies here and everywhere. Sometimes I am so crazy I think stroke was not so bad after all.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:49 PM   #24
(female)

Hello all!
Just an update hoping to help others searching for info just like I was 1 year and 20 days ago.

I have gone through different stages of healing during the past year. From the onset of my stroke the entire right side of my body was numb and tingly. As time progressed the tingling turned into pain. Early on I experienced depression and anxiety. I also had major fatigue which is all normal after a stroke or brain injury. I now know what mood swings are. Hahahaha I say this with a smile because it is the darnedest thing I ever seen! It happens with the drop of a hat. Sometimes I don't even like myself! For the most part, the mood swings are much better.

I had what is called thalamic stroke. The left thalamus area which controls sensory of the right side of the body. I have not lost use of my right side but the pain is getting very intense. Unfortunately, the more I do the heavier and more intense the pain in my leg and arm get. My touch feels like steel wool regardless of the texture. At times it feels like my skin is ripping, burns, and itches. Basically, my brain is not computing the correct sensors causing the pain and hypersensitivity.

I was also a smoker. I am very proud to report I have not smoked a cigarette since the day before my stroke! I was not aware that I had high blood pressure and high cholesterol. (no excuse for not knowing). Along with high stress that I now realize and admit which allows me to cope with better. I have handed down the title of super mom and wonder woman. AND I am okay with that because I was running myself ragged!

Both my neurologist and physician keep close watch and monitor me regularly. I have tried a couple drugs for the nerve pain with no luck so far. I started a new med last week so we shall see if it gives me relief.

So that's my story thus far! I continue to count my blessings each day and focus on the positives. ALL of us know how difficult that can be BUT we are thankful.

Sincerely,
iwamura

goingtorun (06-25-2013)
Reply Reply