It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
(male)

Darkpsy HB UserDarkpsy HB User
Unhappy Extremely sad and worried

Hello all!

After reading some of the other posts, and seeing how helpful and supportive you all are, I have decided to create an account and tell my story.

This morning around 12 midnight, my grandfather had a stroke. He does have a history of heart problems and has had many stents put in for various reasons, mostly clotting issues. I do believe he has been on Plavix or something similar. According to my grandmother, it was extremely quick.

The hospital he was transferred to after his initial evaluation had a surgical team prepared, but he never had surgery since they said it was inoperable. According to my grandmother, the doctors said he probably had a mini stroke which then bled out into his brain. The bleed was located near the center. At first, he was squeezing my grandmothers hand and mumbling something, but now he is just unresponsive. He is not on a respirator, although he was when he first arrived.

As of the time of this post, my mom said he is sleeping. They had found a priest to give him last rites. To me, its sounding more and more like he's slowing slipping away, and that's something I just don't want to face.

EDIT:

I just wanted to add that the doctors told my grandmother that if he ever pulls out of this, he's going to be a vegetable. Is that really something they can tell this early on?

Thanks in advance,

Dark

Last edited by Darkpsy; 08-21-2012 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Additional Information

The following 8 users give hugs of support to: Darkpsy
Alberta1967 (08-23-2012), coupe (08-21-2012), flyingaimlessly (08-21-2012), goingtorun (08-22-2012), guyp (08-25-2012), mugric (09-02-2012), Mulchie (08-22-2012), writeleft (08-22-2012)
Old 08-21-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User
Re: Extremely sad and worried

hi Darkpsy, I'm sorry to read of your grandfather. unfortunately, yes that is something they can tell this early oops I mean they can say this early. fortunately, that is something the can not know at this time! only when/if he pulls out of this can they have a true sense of what his outcome may or may not be?

almost 20 years ago, my wife was told I'd not live through the night,if I lived? I'd be a vegetable. yet, if you talk to me on the phone, or see me out eating or just setting? you'd never know I've had a massive stroke. unless you noticed I never move anything on my left side. but I'm here to tell you it's way to soon to know what/how he will be? prayers go a long way at this point, when you talk to him, talk in your normal manner. I was in a deep coma for nine days and heard every word spoken near me. he just might also?

will keep you and yours in my prayers and thoughts

good luck and god bless

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: coupe
Darkpsy (08-21-2012), Mulchie (08-22-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
Darkpsy (08-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 AM   #3
(male)

Thank you for the kind words of support! It really means a lot to me

Old 08-22-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Wonderful timing Coupe! I have to agree completely, this is a place for those who never give up. Only your grandfather has that power.

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
Darkpsy (08-22-2012)
Old 08-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
(male)

Unhappy Re: Extremely sad and worried

Just thought I would give you all an update.

This morning, his blood O2 level was around 86%. By early afternoon, it was around 40%. The doctors had told the family to make preparations for the funeral, as he will not be recovering from this. This breathing is extremely shallow, and his temperature is up. I'm not sure about BP though.

We were told he will never recover due to the amount of bleeding and damage.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello and welcome
I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. I can tell by your post you love him very much. It is such a difficult thing for family to sit by and watch and not really know what your grandfather is experiencing. Coupe is right, you never give up hope. The doctors cant tell this soon after stroke. Oh I know they can tell by tests what has occured because of the stroke but time and time again people have proven just like Coupe that its totally up to the patient, not the doctors.
I will keep you and your grandfather in my prayers. Please keep posting and let us know how he is making out. We are here for you. God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
Darkpsy (08-22-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Darkpsy,
I’m saddened to hear about your loved one, I wish I had the words to soften your pain.
I know how it feels being in you’re positioned. Sometimes all we have is hope, prayers and one another.
The strength and courage you need, to keep on, keeping on, has to come from deep down inside of you. No matter what people say to you the pain just won’t go away.
I know you won’t give up on your grandad and I believe he’s trying his best too.
The doctors told my wife, I would probably never walk again, well just over two years on, I’m walking.
There’s always hope. God bless and help you. Please keep in touch.
George

Old 08-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
(male)

Just thought I would let you all know that my grandfather passed away this morning. I would like to thank all of you for your kind words of support. You will always be in my thoughts.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Darkpsy
goingtorun (08-23-2012), mugric (09-02-2012), Mulchie (08-23-2012), stellar7 (09-20-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

Darkpsy,
please except my deepest condolences.
george.

Closed Thread