It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
2 1/2 months post stroke

More numbness in left arm and elbow. More numbness in left foot. I was told by a very smart person that you have to get to the bottom of the pile before you can climb out. Well I feel like I'm headed that way but once I get there I'm coming up that ladder to climb out. So I wanted to give an update.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #2
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User
Re: 2 1/2 months post stroke

Does your numbness come and go? Or is it always there but gets worse at times?

The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-22-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Always there but it does get worse at times. It's worse now than when the stroke first happened. The numbness took the place of the tingling little shock waves.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Keep climbing !

Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 AM   #5
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hi guyp,
I'm experiencing the same as what you're describing. I'm nearing 3 months post stroke. At first I had tingling in the entire right half of my body. During the first month, some of the tingle in my face subsided. Now my right hand feels tight and aches and sometimes goes up to my elbow and upper arm. My thigh has always been super sensetive (hypersensetivity) since the stroke. It also aches but not quite as bad as my hand. I've noticed it gets worse when I am stressed or fatigued.

The therapist and doctors seem to think the pain will subside with time but there is a chance that it won't. I am thankful I am still able to use them!

I hope you are having a good day today!

The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-26-2012)
Old 08-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
(male)

I am on my way up as soon as I get to the bottom. I will continue to climb out even if I keep falling down.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwamura View Post
Hi guyp,
I'm experiencing the same as what you're describing. I'm nearing 3 months post stroke. At first I had tingling in the entire right half of my body. During the first month, some of the tingle in my face subsided. Now my right hand feels tight and aches and sometimes goes up to my elbow and upper arm. My thigh has always been super sensetive (hypersensetivity) since the stroke. It also aches but not quite as bad as my hand. I've noticed it gets worse when I am stressed or fatigued.

The therapist and doctors seem to think the pain will subside with time but there is a chance that it won't. I am thankful I am still able to use them!

I hope you are having a good day today!
One thing don't stop using you limbs. Keep helping your brain to figure it out. I feel like I have to continue so my brain will figure out what I am trying to do and the brain will help me. FAITH is real. Never lose it.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Well, I'm 18 months past the stroke and the retraining of the brain must occur every day. It is the brain that must and will help us. It has great plasticity.

I made no concessions to the right hand, arm, shoulder, leg, ankle from day one. Right hand still drops things, spills things. Never mind, it must work for me. Do daily exercises, meditate giving myself strength and encouragement. Feel like a stroke warrior and will never give up.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: tinam7
guyp (08-26-2012), Mulchie (08-24-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-26-2012), Mulchie (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM   #9
(female)

Can any of you explain why or what causes the pain to increase when you're stressed or fatigued?

The following user gives a hug of support to Iwamura:
guyp (08-26-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

I've tried very hard to determine what affects the pain, the impairment, but have not been able to come up with answers. I am very thankful that it does not affect sleep. Am not disturbed by that bizarre right side, can sleep peacefully. Sometimes when I wake up I can feel it is a little improved; or, I must admit, sometimes it feels worse. Do not know what to attribute this to. I have found no correlation to more exercise, certain exercise, less exercise.

Am very focussed on avoiding as much stress as possible. Meditate twice a day sitting, do yoga and standing QiGong. There was some cognitive impairment: I make mistakes I did not make previously. The mistakes occur in writing, in numbers, a sort of disconnect between what is in my head and what comes out on paper. I am able to catch the error.

My stroke and me, an adventure I never expected. Sometimes I think it changed my personality, maybe even for the better which I attribute to the awakening of the right hemisphere. It feels good to be able to express this for which I feel grateful.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-26-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
(male)

I'm not a doctor. I think the brain has to heal from the stroke. It takes time for the full ramifications of the stroke to show itself. Therefore as the brain is trying to figure out what has happened it gets crossed signals. Then stress with different symptoms. That is what I think. I will continue to work my brain in many different ways so he doesn't get lonely and stop trying. Don't ever give in because hope and faith will see you through. God grant me strength for what I have, not for the things I don't.

Last edited by guyp; 08-24-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
Mulchie (08-29-2012)
Old 02-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
(female)

Psst HB User

Hello all,

I have been away from this site for awhile. I have been back to work for 2 weeks now. I am doing 4 hour days 3x/week. I am a nurse and I am finding this return to be quite fatiguing. I am 69 days post stroke but since my return, I am struggling with weakness. Stress (even just the slightest bit) seems to make it worse. Like many of you according to your posts, I am experiencing the "pins and needles" all over my body. I feel quite discouraged and I pray for the day I feel "normal again". I hope everyone is well. I am learning a lot from all of you and am so grateful for this site.

Cheers,

Psst

The following user gives a hug of support to Psst:
guyp (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
(male)

cactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB Usercactus al HB User

Hello psst

I read your messase and it sounds like you are making great progress being back to work. I am five months post out and its starting to slowly come back. I went to my primary doctor today after my inr. Of 2.6 which is great. My primary doc is handling my stroke recovery
I was sitting in the waiting room with my wife and I heard her say to me walk on in and I did using my cane I stood up and walked into her office, I though she was going to cry , I surprised her with my determination. Progress is slow some days but as .long as we stroke victims keep a posititive attitude it will come around.

I was very tired when I got home I took a three hour nap. Just stay upbeat and try the best you know how, there lots of stroke survivors on this. Board so psst keep up the effort to get well. My best to you and progress is a slow forward effort

Bless you all.
Allen

The Following User Says Thank You to cactus al For This Useful Post:
guyp (02-11-2013)
Old 02-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #14
(male)

Hello psst,
Have no fear as we have survived for a purpose. I am 8 months post stroke and have gone through the pins and needles. I called it hyper sensitivity. Keep your spirits high and be thankful for the gift we have. Any questions you have there are many here to help and we all have broad shoulders. May god bless and take care of you and yours.

Guy

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
Psst (02-12-2013)
Reply Reply