It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 02:30 AM   #16
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Not yet 3 months post stroke

G’day guyp,
How things going mate. Wish I knew the answer to your question. It’s impossible to compare one person to another; no one stroke is same as the other. Very early on my long and slow journey of recovery, I learnt not to play the comparison game.
Learn to listen to your body; it changes ever so little every day. I was completely paralysed down the entire right hand side of my body. The first movement I experienced was in the form of little twitches in my fingers. They occur for a day, disappear for three or four days. Eventually they become more frequent, till eventually I was able to move my fingers, then my hand and arms.
The numbness has been with from day one (18/03/2010), it has improved, all be it ever so slightly. No one has been able to shine any light on this matter. I don’t really know why it has improved. In my case, the more movement I got, the numbness improved. Having said that, it sometimes goes backward.
I hope I’ve been able to help and not just confuse you. Bottom line, never ever give up on yourself.
George.

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 03:13 AM   #17
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

Gíday guyp,
How things going mate. Wish I knew the answer to your question. Itís impossible to compare one person to another; no one stroke is same as the other. Very early on my long and slow journey of recovery, I learnt not to play the comparison game.
Learn to listen to your body; it changes ever so little every day. I was completely paralysed down the entire right hand side of my body. The first movement I experienced was in the form of little twitches in my fingers. They occur for a day, disappear for three or four days. Eventually they become more frequent, till eventually I was able to move my fingers, then my hand and arms.
The numbness has been with from day one (18/03/2010), it has improved, all be it ever so slightly. No one has been able to shine any light on this matter. I donít really know why it has improved. In my case, the more movement I got, the numbness improved. Having said that, it sometimes goes backward.
I hope Iíve been able to help and not just confuse you. Bottom line, never ever give up on yourself.
George.

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (09-11-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

I'm sure your right, we are all different. I felt very good when I left the hospital and now I'm getting more numbness. I guess after stroke there is no normal. Just different. thanks for your info. I will keep moving forward.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:53 AM   #19
Veteran
(male)

G’day guyp,
Mates have you change any of your habits since leaving the hospital. Do you still exercise the same as when you left the hospital, have you put on weight, is your diet still the same.
I found that metabolism has slowed down, and I have developed this liking to junk food, especially chocolate. Before the stroke I never really liked any of this type of food. And not able to do the cardio work used to, I have increased my weight by 45 pounds.
I do my very best every day to work out, it’s slow, but I’ll get there. At one stage my blood pressure increased and so did the numbness. I find that it goes up and down according to the blood pressure.
Other than that I really don’t know much more, I wish I did. I guess we just have to stay active, ask questions, and wait and see. Keep on searching, I know I am.
Good on you.

George

Old 09-12-2012, 02:54 AM   #20
Veteran
(male)

G’day guyp,
Mates have you change any of your habits since leaving the hospital. Do you still exercise the same as when you left the hospital, have you put on weight, is your diet still the same.
I found that metabolism has slowed down, and I have developed this liking to junk food, especially chocolate. Before the stroke I never really liked any of this type of food. And not able to do the cardio work used to, I have increased my weight by 45 pounds.
I do my very best every day to work out, it’s slow, but I’ll get there. At one stage my blood pressure increased and so did the numbness. I find that it goes up and down according to the blood pressure.
Other than that I really don’t know much more, I wish I did. I guess we just have to stay active, ask questions, and wait and see. Keep on searching, I know I am.
Good on you.

George

Last edited by goingtorun; 09-12-2012 at 02:56 AM. Reason: sorry for double posting

Old 09-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #21
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

I do notice with stress my numbness gets worse. No I've done the opposite and stayed away from junk food and worked out more. I really want to live its a shame it took a stroke to make me realize it. I know that if I get nervous or very focused on a task I can feel the numbness growing. Once it starts I can't stop it. It doesn't stop me from doing things it just slows me down a little. Thank you for writing me it does help to talk about it.

Steve

Old 09-15-2012, 12:48 PM   #22
(female)

flwrme HB User

It has only been two monts but I have went to therapy and was told yesterday that they have given me all the help they can and to do my therapy at home it only affected mt left leg and some balance issues , I seem to get very unbalanced after my Computer use I have had my eyes checked so thats not the problem. Does anyone else experince this Thanks

Old 09-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #23
Veteran
(male)

G’Day flwrme,
Hope you well and in good spirits. Your still very young on your road to recovery, you will improve, how much and how long it will take, no one knows.
I was given the same advice when I left rehab by my therapists.
I found the more balance exercise I did, the better I become. Just standing around having a conversation, and there was a support nearby, I was constantly trying to balance on the affected leg. Slowly, slowly does it. Baby steps.
It may be a good idea if you start a thread, to keep track of your progress.
All the very best, please keep us informed with your improvements.
George

Last edited by goingtorun; 09-15-2012 at 06:23 PM.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #24
(female)

flwrme HB User

hank you George,I was very lucky that only my leg was affected, The balance is the worse but some days are better than other which I can't understand. I find being on my computer makes it worse must be the vision part of the balance. Hugs Carol

Old 09-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #25
(female)

flwrme HB User

Still unbalanced I try to be very active and I do all my exerices so I hope this balance thing will get better. I will do the standing on the left leg like George sugested. Thank you george . I haven't fallen over yet so thats a good sign.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #26
Veteran
(male)

G'Day flwrme,
please remember, that your always near a solid support, when practising your balance routine.
the most important thing is stay in good sprits.
all the very best Carol.
George........

Closed Thread