It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
Not yet 3 months post stroke

Well as another update on my particular stroke. My numbness is becoming greater in my left arm, left hand, left foot, and left side of my face. Everything still moves okay except there is pain in my left elbow and shoulder. I sleep good and still exercise and refuse to think I'm done. It is hard to lose to more numbness and pain as the brain is healing. There is also more hypersensitivity in my chest and back which I am hoping is a sign of brain function fighting for control. I hope you guys understand I am just documenting everything so someone else might not be so scared. I appreciate everyone here for you have made this very bearable for me. Thank you all in advance.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
writeleft (09-07-2012)
Old 08-28-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Not yet 3 months post stroke

G’day Guyp,
Good on you mate; you have the right idea, never give up.
I reckon attitude and persistence go a long to making a recovery. I still suffer from numbness down the right side and have done since 18/03/2010. It’s improved ever so slightly over the years.
Keep up the good work, you’ll never look back and say "what if". Please keep us informed of your progress.
All the best.
George

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 AM   #3
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

After many months I wish I could tell you that you get your old self back. Maybe you will, we are each unique, and I sure hope so for you.

If not, you sort of get used to the new companion, stroke, who also can bring a new you. My new me is much more interesting than the old one all dominated by that left brain (injured) full of duty, responsibility, work, self denial. The new me has much more imagination (right brain), spark, unpredictability, creativity, is much more of an individual, self-directed, self-possessed, interested in CBT, in the mind-body connection, in living today as never before.

There can be odd compensations in life. It is likely to take time to recognize them. Our brain is a marvelous piece of work.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-28-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

The worse thing is the numbness feeling. It makes your arm feel like its there but nothing connected. It moves fine but feels like the wires are disconnected. Same thing with the left foot and wrist and fingers. I just want new members to read this so they won't be scared if this happens. I am thankful for everyone's input and comments. My story has just begun. I love life and going to enjoy it to the fullest. Give thanks for what you have not what you don't.

Last edited by guyp; 08-29-2012 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
flwrme (09-17-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

I am 9 months post stroke and its just like you describe here. I just ignore it as life goes on!

Last edited by goldsworthy; 08-30-2012 at 06:34 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to goldsworthy:
flwrme (09-17-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to goldsworthy For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-30-2012)
Old 08-30-2012, 08:04 AM   #6
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Yes, we do want to go on and transcend that strange, numb weight hanging about us. My sibling caved in and that is a dead end. Am so thankful for all that still works. At the start I could not write. Gradually that came back. I exercise like a madwoman. Can't really say I detect much improvement but keep at it anyway. Flex and point the foot, circle the ankle. Do shoulder rolls, arm extensions, sometimes with weights. Don't want that shoulder girdle to lock.

The other big concerted daily effort is to avoid another zap. Every day that we distance ourself from that traumatic moment is a big stride forward. How about that moment and where we were when it happened? It is interesting how I avoid that spot, a good one in the past. In fact, it is all interesting since I've made this close acquaintance, whether I like it or not, with the old brain.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
guyp (08-30-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
(male)

I would just like to know an approximate time when I know it's the new me.

Old 09-03-2012, 02:44 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’Day Guyp,
Hope you are as well as can be and your spirits are high. I spent 9 days in hospital and then was moved to a rehab hospital. I remember after a couple days one of the physios said to me “how much do you want to improved? 50%, 60% “my reply was 110%.
He proceeded by telling me I had to become use to my ‘new you”. I was confused, how can he be saying this to me. I was paralysed down the entire right side of my body, it made me more determine to improve, I didn’t know how or when. That was around March 2010.
I was determine to regain as much of my old self as possible. I will never accept the way I am, I have to keep trying to improve, and I will run again one day. I reckon that there is no time frame.
I didn’t know when, where or how, I just want my old self back. That’s just the way I am, single minded. I hope I didn’t offend anyone.
George

Last edited by goingtorun; 09-03-2012 at 02:47 AM. Reason: forgot stuff, sorry...

Old 09-03-2012, 06:21 AM   #9
(female)

An approximate time for the new me? I'd say it came into being the moment lightning struck. Takes time and effort to get to know it, some days better, other days worse.

Some days I think a somewhat new person emerged because there is much different besides the physical. It's a road of discovery. Like keeping a journal about it, so thankful I can write. My sibling gave up from the get go. I won't. Today I am going to yoga class. That is a holdover, thank goodness. Loved it before, love it now perhaps even more.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
(male)

Thanks to both of you. Your right. The new me happened with the event. I won't look back but forward as another hurdle to jump. Thanks again for your word of advice. It is priceless. I know now to go forward to give more and expect more. I will pay attention to my own advice give thanks for what I have not what I don't.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

My "new me" appeared to me when I found out I could help others with my words. They had become lost in my brain with the strokes, and I had to fight to get them back. When they finally appeared, after a few years of hard work, I realized what I had to say might help another person in this world, and I felt reborn. From there I wrote voraciously, and the more I wrote, the more I learned about myself. That became my source of pride, as most of my other skills had been lost. While focusing on what I could do, the things I could not do were not as important. It was like a shift of focus. With great losses came great discoveries. They were sweet and simple. Help myself by helping others.

Funny, now I have found myself searching for another source of strength to get me through my most recent struggle. I keep going back to the stroke recovery as inspiration for myself. Keeping myself connected to all you brave and powerful people helps remind me of what I am capable of. Anyone who can pull themselves up from stroke can do anything. And we are those people. I am so proud to be a part of this group.

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
guyp (09-10-2012)
Old 09-07-2012, 05:12 AM   #12
(female)

Oh yes, you are so correct: Living is Giving and Sharing and Learning. Yet that need not necessarily come with stroke. In fact, what I experienced with sibling who had TIA's and strokes ahead of me was almost the opposite. The behavior changed but not for the better, in my view. This puzzles and preoccupies me every day.

The brain is this vast, mysterious frontier. A stroke can change so much, including, I think, behavior and even personality. It takes time to discover these changes as they gradually reveal themselves. I've become so much more emotional, for example. Cry at the drop of a hat. Brain scientists should study us. I love reading and learning about the brain. That's another revelation: before stroke I was hardly even aware of all that matter sitting in the head. Now I cherish it.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

G'Day guyp,
How are you going mate? hope you are well, and forging ahead. Remember the only way is up.
God bless.
George.

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
(male)

Does anyone know if the numbness takes the place of the tingling sensation at the three month mark because that is happening to me. Everything still works. The left arm and hand has a little more ease of movement problem and all of my toes and half of my foot is now numb. Sorry if I aggravate anyone I just want to understand and help others as well. I know we are individuals but there has to be some similarities with the group of survivors. Help me out guys. Thanks in advance for your comments

Steve

Old 09-10-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
(male)

I appreciate your comments because you and others like you keep me grounded to make things more apparent to others like us. SURVIVORS. Thanks to all of you

Closed Thread