It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

Sammiesung HB User
Will he survive???

Ok so 3 weeks ago this thursday my grandfather (78) had a massive stroke. He was rushed to local hosp where he was then told he needed to go to bigger hosp and that he might not survive the journey. Well he survived and was treated in intensive care unit. He was awake, knew who we were and was able to move. He wasnt able to speak and was distressed. He was there for a week and we were told he would make a full recovery and was ok to be sent back to local hosp. That was last thurs week ago, on the Fri morning the nurse checked him and he was unresponsive, wouldnt wake up etc so family got a call to go straight in that they thought he had another stroke and that it was only a matter of hours before he passed on. They done another scan and said that he has severe brain damage and that he will never open his eyes, walk, talk or do anything. He is able to move his right arm and leg but docs said that its reflexes and not actually him moving it. He doesnt do it when we ask but when he wants to if you know what I mean. We were in the hosp with him all weekend and on the sunday morning we were called in again to say that he has a chest infection and that he was very weak and not expected to last the hour. Again he pulled back up a bit and was holding his own all week. On saturday night just gone we were called in again but miraculously he didnt go!! Docs are baffled how he is surviving this long. His temperature keeps going up and he has mucus on his chest that constantly needs to be suctioned. He is starting to get very very thin and we are worried that he is going to fade away to nothing. We have been told that he will not survive but surely if he has survived this long there is a chance that he will pull through??
I dont know what to think at this stage. I had prepared myself for the worst but now am starting to be hopeful. Is it possible for someone with such severe brain damage to survive??

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Sammiesung
mugric (09-01-2012), writeleft (08-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User
Re: Will he survive???

I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Dear Sammiesung
Welcome to our stroke family. I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather. It is so hard to watch someone we love go through stroke especially when the doctors dont hold much hope. Your question can he survive, can he recover? That is very good question an to be honest that is up to your grandfather. It sounds like he is a real fighter. He will determine his fate but Im afraid that all you can do is support him, talk to him, gently care for him and never give up on him. Everything else is up to your Grandpa and God. I have read some amazing recovery stories on this web site. I have known some real amazing people who have recovered way beyond what doctors ever predicted. So all of us here we know better than the doctors and never say there is no hope. There is always hope. Keep posting let us know how your doing. Keeping your grandpa in my prayers. God Bless Mulchie

Old 08-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Sammiesung,

I join Muchie in welcoming you to this special place for families of stroke survivors. Strokes are very mysterious things, that are very unique to each individual. If he had a stroke and was very vulnerable to another one, that is a very difficult fight. No one hear will ever say to give up, Give him every bit of strength you can. None of us get to choose when or even how we go, nor when our loved ones will be called from this earth.

I wish you the strength you need to make it through this time in your life.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

As a stroke survivor I feel I can say this to you. The question you should be asking yourself is would your grandfather want to live with this damage? Don't take me wrong but if there is no quality in life is it worth living?. A stroke is a horrible thing to happen to anyone!. I will pray for your grandfather but please think about what I posted here. I can say that if I were to have a stroke as bad as you reported my wife wouldn't let me go on living I have a will written giving her the right to deny all treatment, if 3 doctors tell her there is little or no hope. yes it is possible for someone with such severe brain damage as your grandfather to survive but at what cost. Not money wise but quality of life wise. I believe everyone should have a living will as I do as it removes the heavy burden you and your family are facing at this time. I don't wish to sound harsh and this is my own opinion yours could be different I hope your grandfather recovers God bless John

Last edited by goldsworthy; 08-31-2012 at 06:25 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to goldsworthy For This Useful Post:
tinam7 (09-01-2012)
Old 09-01-2012, 05:09 AM   #6
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

It is a great shock when a stroke strikes. I've had mine. Those of us here were so very lucky in what our strokes did not do to us. We did not lose our consciousness, our ability to think, to speak, to understand, to eat, to swallow, to breathe, to control our bodily functions, our mobility.

Medicine today can keep us alive in ways that are beyond belief. With no living will in place, the tragedy grows and compounds. I know of this first hand, suffer every day because my sibling had no living will in place and so any and all measures of rescue are employed while the definition of life and living is defined and redefined. This leads into big ethical questions. I know where I stand: my living will is in place and I will never relinquish control over my life to anyone else.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I came back today to check in with you and see if you might have left any updates or comments. I hope today brought some light to your heart.

My best..

Closed Thread