It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
(female)

JoOsmer HB User
Exclamation T.I.A concerns for another attack

First off I am 30 years old.
I had a TIA back in December of 2009 and with the way my systems were I do believe I also had one back in 2000. At that time I was only 19, so after being rushed to the hospital they couldn’t find anything “wrong” and because I was only 19 they told me “if you were older we would be more concerned but your only a child” Yea I know! Good ol Ashland Tennessee!!
I take a low dose aspirin daily now because even during my episode in 09 they really couldn’t find anything wrong then either, but all of my systems told them it was something but the cat-scan, MRI, EKG every test they did came back “normal”. I am also on Armour Thyrioid for hypothyroid : this past year I kept having really bad head pains and no matter how much sleep I would get I would fall asleep as soon as I wasn’t moving….driving…working..watching tv…reading…playing on my ipad… ect. I was sent in for another mri and again they found nothing abnormal.
I’ve been on my thyroid meds for about 6 months now, they always start off seeming like they are helping me, but honestly I do not feel “normal” but according to the doctor all of my labs are in the desirable range.
I am still having the head pain, here lately it feels like my scalp is asleep(tingling and numb), I am constantly walking into things (my desk at work, the wall, door frames), my left arm seems to have a mind of its own and jerks randomly.
Does anyone else have these systems? How can I get my doctor to actually do something without saying “if you were older we would worry”
I am concerned about having another episode and it being a full blown stroke because the doctors do not think I am old enough to be having one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User
Re: T.I.A concerns for another attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoOsmer View Post
First off I am 30 years old.
I had a TIA back in December of 2009 and with the way my systems were I do believe I also had one back in 2000. At that time I was only 19, so after being rushed to the hospital they couldn't find anything “wrong” and because I was only 19 they told me “if you were older we would be more concerned but your only a child” Yea I know! Good ol Ashland Tennessee!!
I take a low dose aspirin daily now because even during my episode in 09 they really couldn't find anything wrong then either, but all of my systems told them it was something but the cat-scan, MRI, EKG every test they did came back “normal”. I am also on Armour Thyroid for hypothyroid : this past year I kept having really bad head pains and no matter how much sleep I would get I would fall asleep as soon as I wasn't moving….driving…working..watching tv…reading…playing on my ipad… ect. I was sent in for another mri and again they found nothing abnormal.
I've been on my thyroid meds for about 6 months now, they always start off seeming like they are helping me, but honestly I do not feel “normal” but according to the doctor all of my labs are in the desirable range.
I am still having the head pain, here lately it feels like my scalp is asleep(tingling and numb), I am constantly walking into things (my desk at work, the wall, door frames), my left arm seems to have a mind of its own and jerks randomly.
Does anyone else have these systems? How can I get my doctor to actually do something without saying “if you were older we would worry”
I am concerned about having another episode and it being a full blown stroke because the doctors do not think I am old enough to be having one.
You are right to be concerned! A TIA is nothing to ignore! I had 3 of them before my massive brain stem stroke last December.If I were you knowing what I do now I would pull out all the stops insist the doctors do the tests and treat your condition before you loose the quality of life you now have. Stroke knows no age limits! I have seen 2 and 3 year olds have strokes. Get to the proper doctor fast and start treatment and life style changes ASAP or you could end up like me!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hi and Welcome
I agree with goldsworthy, TIA's are nothing to ignore, they are usually a warning and the doctors and medical people should be concerned. YOu must be your own advocate and demand better care. YOu must demand they work with you to prevent any further trouble. Your symptoms are real, this should not be ignored. If nothing else since my stroke I have learned that demanding the best care is sometimes the only way you get it. Also do your research. Learn as much as you can so you can ask the right questions and demand the answers. You are so young and that was a terrible diagnosis you received at age 19. Shameful actually. Im sorry but I believe people deserve better than this. If your appointment isnt for a few months call that doctors office every day to see the they have a cancellation. Your concerns are real, you are not out of line wanting answers. You have a whole life ahead of you, and your going to make sure you live it to the fullest. If you dont get answers, get a second or third opinion. The smartest thing I did was get a second opinion. The second neurologist really is a brilliant man and he actually understands stroke. One doctor I had I wanted to ask him if he ever hear of stroke before. Because he was right baffeled about it all. Oh My Gosh if the doctors baffeled about it move on to the next one real quick.
There are doctors out there who understand the brain and understand stroke prevention. Find one and demand some answers from him. Your worth it.
Pleae keep posting Good Luck
God Bless Mulchie

Old 09-15-2012, 05:54 AM   #4
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Agree with every excellent post. Here are my two cents.

TIA's are sneaky things that, as far as I know, leave no trace. Doctors may have ideas. My ideas (also had TIA's) are:

1. Keep blood pressure in check.
2. Avoid stress like the plague. Meditate every day.
3. Watch diet and weight. Enjoy exercise every day.
4. Carry a water bottle, keep drinking.
5. Take baby aspirin.

These are my Guidelines of Hope.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
Mulchie (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Awesome guidelines tinam7.
There it is, Stroke prevention if we can follow those guidelines we will all be
rising above our strokes and heading down a path of healing, prevention and as tinam7 put it, HOPE.
Nicely put !
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
tinam7 (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
(male)

goldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB Usergoldsworthy HB User

Time = Brain

Old 09-15-2012, 09:17 AM   #7
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

This is too cryptic for me. Remember, the left brain got zapped. Can you elaborate?

Old 09-17-2012, 04:23 AM   #8
(female)

JoOsmer HB User

Thank you all for your comments, just hearing others being concerned is a great motive to get things done. It's hard when no one lose truly understand wht I'm dealing with!!

Closed Thread

Tags
stroke, thyroid, tia