HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   Three months and not counting (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/919259-three-months-not-counting.html)

guyp 09-19-2012 08:29 PM

Three months and not counting

Three months and not counting;
I am experiencing a heavy arm with numbness and heavy fingers and a heavy wrist, toes that are completely numb, and a portion of my foot and the back of my leg has a numb stripe.
I know that it sounds like whining but I am trying to journal the steps for me hoping it might help others someday.
I feel enclosed because you guys are the only ones that truly understand what each of us are going through. Thank you all for support and words that inspire.

goingtorun 09-20-2012 02:51 AM

Re: Three months and not counting

G’day guyp,
Hang in there mate, hope you well. I know it’s not easy, but keep your spirits up and your exercise happening the best you possibly can.
I reckon it’s a great idea you keeping a journal, I wish I had.
I find that swelling and numbness is worst at the end of the day. I cannot explain why or how, this has just started to happen in the last couple of months. Its been about two and half years since my stroke, the hand is no longer swollen but remains numb. The foot is still swollen and numb.
Hope this information is of help to you. Keep in mate, and all the very best.
George

goingtorun 09-20-2012 02:56 AM

Gíday guyp,
Hang in there mate, hope you well. I know itís not easy, but keep your spirits up and your exercise happening the best you possibly can.
I reckon itís a great idea you keeping a journal, I wish I had.
I find that swelling and numbness is worst at the end of the day. I cannot explain why or how, this has just started to happen in the last couple of months. Its been about two and half years since my stroke, the hand is no longer swollen but remains numb. The foot is still swollen and numb.
Hope this information is of help to you. Keep in mate, and all the very best.
George

guyp 09-20-2012 03:04 AM

It does help. I am exercising and you are correct about the end of the day being the worse part of all. My foot hurts at the end of the day and my fingers feel like hot dogs. Thank you for the help in understanding.

stevelts 09-20-2012 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=guyp;5058963]It does help. I am exercising and you are correct about the end of the day being the worse part of all. My foot hurts at the end of the day and my fingers feel like hot dogs. Thank you for the help in understanding.[/QUOTE]

hi guyp,

i understand the after effects of stroke.it'd been almost 3 months since my stroke, i have a heavy head mostly at the end of the day which i attribute to tiredness. i have yet to fully adjust to the new sensations but hang in there. people tell me time will heal, we just need to be patient. been trying to be strong so hang in there. hugs!

steve

tinam7 09-20-2012 10:20 AM

I have accepted the fact that my right side will never be the same. But I look at what was not taken from me: so much, really, considering what a blasted stroke can do.

Exercise remains paramount, as is avoiding stress, meditating, and cheering for each day I have mind, mobility, bodily functions. Distractions in activities we enjoy are best. To focus on the foot and toes and ankle, I gently massage toes, point and flex the foot, make circles in both directions to help the ankle. And, yes, others can't really understand the changes in us. So it is good to come here to read and share.

guyp 09-20-2012 07:49 PM

Thanks tinam1,
I am thankful for this place and everyone here that has experience and new. It is nice to keep a journal for others to read just so it might help. I am thankful for what I have not what I don't. Everyone has been so helpful in sharing and I have been put at ease. George, thank you, you have given me great insight and to the many others as well.

tinam7 09-21-2012 07:59 AM

The reality is that others cannot truly understand the changes that a stroke brings. Some of the changes are not so obvious, even to ourself, or so has been my experience. They reveal themselves gradually. There may be losses, but perhaps also gains.

We know the losses, maybe we can identify some of the gains. For example, I've turned to avid meditation twice a day which I try to share with others. Of course for me it means trying to prevent a repeat, potent motivation. But meditation really has benefits for anyone........tina

guyp 09-23-2012 08:44 PM

Well I was wondering. It's been a little over 3 months. Has anyone else experienced the heaviness in the limbs as well as the rib cage and back area like I am. It seems to be much more difficult to move my left arm and hand when trying to do something. I was wondering if that's just because of where the brain was damaged during the stroke. For anyone it would be frightening and that's why I am asking. Thank you all for listening.

writeleft 09-23-2012 10:11 PM

Guy,

I think it is great that you are actively involved, by both keeping your journal and sharing both your questions and your concerns to those of us who understand, like no one else can. My strokes profoundly changed my life, in the earlier years to simply recover, and in the later years to learn and share with others.

At three months, I still had so much to learn. At that point, I was far far behind where you are already. I still could not walk, talk or even wake up for more than a few hours a day. I was also still years away from finding this place,which turned out to be such a blessing. You have a lot going for you,and we know how long and drawn out recovery can be.

I am with Tina, in that there is so many good things that come with the difficulties, and keeping your focus on those good things will keep you pointed in the right direction. It can be easier to recognize all the powerful struggles we face everyday, but much more valuable to keep your eye on the prize.

What we have to gain personally will be what is the most profound of all life lessons. Having your journal to look back on will be a great story of your own making, and you get to make up the end any way you choose. IT IS [B][I]YOUR [/I][/B]STORY! Happy to be along to watch how it pans out for you.

As far as the heaviness in your limbs, aches, and other new and changing evidence of your continued healing are all good signs...Keep moving, keep thinking and keep trying..You have the best inspiration for success- YOU!

Janet

writeleft 09-24-2012 12:14 AM

Tina, I am interested in taking time for meditation. Would you consider writing a thread about it? I'll bet it would be helpful to any of us who are interested in trying it. I know Mulchie really has been successful with yoga, without knotting ourselves into a pretzel. I would love to see both...

Janet

stevelts 09-24-2012 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=guyp;5060922]Well I was wondering. It's been a little over 3 months. Has anyone else experienced the heaviness in the limbs as well as the rib cage and back area like I am. It seems to be much more difficult to move my left arm and hand when trying to do something. I was wondering if that's just because of where the brain was damaged during the stroke. For anyone it would be frightening and that's why I am asking. Thank you all for listening.[/QUOTE]

i experienced heaviness initially with the arms due to incoordination as my cerebellum was injured but it reduced eventually when the brain finally recognized it as incoordination instead of being too heavy to move. That's my theory and experience. so it may go away. i also tried to make the limb stronger by lifting some weights.