It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

sunnysouth HB Usersunnysouth HB User
trying to find some answers to my hearing problems.

I had a mild stroke in March of this year and have been searching websites
trying to find some answers to my hearing problems. Maybe some of you have
experienced the same problem as I have. I had no idea that I was having a
stroke. I only had a mild headache that lasted for several days.After a couple
of visits to my doctor they had me do a CT and found that I had had the
stroke. I found out on Friday and then on Saturday I realized that I was having problems hearing the radio in my car. The next day, Sunday, I sat down to play the piano at church and realized I could not hear the music. The
piano sounded like it was in another room. Over the weeks I have realized that there are notes I was playing that I could not hear so none of it made
sense. I have had a hearing test and my hearing is normal except for a mild
hearing loss that the ENT said was normal for my age. I have problems hearing on the cell phone so I do alot of texting now.
I am doing games on TV and have started memorizing the book of James hoping that these along with something else could help the brain regenerate.

The following user gives a hug of support to sunnysouth:
Mulchie (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
re: trying to find some answers to my hearing problems.

G’day Sunnysouth,
Hope you are as well as can be, and in good spirits. I don’t have of your symptoms.
Try to keep active both physically and mentally every day, and I mean every day. The day you lose not being active, is a day I’ll never have again. Sure you have to listen to your body, do not overdo it. Over time you will find a happy level at which you can sustain your activities.
Any way all the best, and keep in touch. I hope I was able to help.
George.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

Gíday Sunnysouth,
Hope you are as well as can be, and in good spirits. I donít have of your symptoms.
Try to keep active both physically and mentally every day, and I mean every day. The day you lose not being active, is a day Iíll never have again. Sure you have to listen to your body, do not overdo it. Over time you will find a happy level at which you can sustain your activities.
George.

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
Mulchie (09-28-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Welcome to our family of stroke survivors. You have come to the right place for answers. So many people read the posts hopefully you will receive some info from others. Myself, after my stroke my hearing was effected. I couldnt tolerate noise and it all seemed amplified. I so understand when you said it sounds like it is in another room. Because that is how it is for me sometimes. All I can tell you is, it has gotten better. I use to wear ear plugs all the time and now hardly ever pull them out of my purse when Im shopping. I would not give up on the idea that it may improve. The whole "age "thing, well that jus blows my mind they always find something to explain it and if they cant they say oh well your old and thats normal. I really feel it may be from your stroke and it may get better. Never give up on that idea because I am over 2 years and still improving. I will never give up. I agree with George about keeping your mind active. AFter a stroke that may seem more difficult to do the games and memory exercises but they will get better and easier. At first I couldnt play checkers or watch t.v. Now I watch TV no problem and I can beat my family at checkers once again. Hang in there your doing a great job. It is a courageous journey you are on and we as stroke survivors are very good at never giving up. Hope lives in us and it gives us the courage and strength we need to not just survive but create a life better than before our stroke. We were all saved for a reason. How great is that.
God Bless Mulchie.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 AM   #5
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtorun View Post
Gíday Sunnysouth,
Hope you are as well as can be, and in good spirits. I donít have of your symptoms.
Try to keep active both physically and mentally every day, and I mean every day. The day you lose not being active, is a day Iíll never have again. Sure you have to listen to your body, do not overdo it. Over time you will find a happy level at which you can sustain your activities.
George.
Thanks, I have continued to work as an insurance agent but it has been
difficult some days. Some days I cannot thiink straight and have to really
take time to do a simple task. I continue to play piano in church as we have
a really small congregation and I am the only one that can play. I do not sing
anymore as it is difficult to hear any music. I am trying to push myself to do
any of those things that will stimulate that part of my brain that was injured
to regenerate.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
(female)

Re: trying to find some answers to my hearing problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchie View Post
Welcome to our family of stroke survivors. You have come to the right place for answers. So many people read the posts hopefully you will receive some info from others. Myself, after my stroke my hearing was effected. I couldnt tolerate noise and it all seemed amplified. I so understand when you said it sounds like it is in another room. Because that is how it is for me sometimes. All I can tell you is, it has gotten better. I use to wear ear plugs all the time and now hardly ever pull them out of my purse when Im shopping. I would not give up on the idea that it may improve. The whole "age "thing, well that jus blows my mind they always find something to explain it and if they cant they say oh well your old and thats normal. I really feel it may be from your stroke and it may get better. Never give up on that idea because I am over 2 years and still improving. I will never give up. I agree with George about keeping your mind active. AFter a stroke that may seem more difficult to do the games and memory exercises but they will get better and easier. At first I couldnt play checkers or watch t.v. Now I watch TV no problem and I can beat my family at checkers once again. Hang in there your doing a great job. It is a courageous journey you are on and we as stroke survivors are very good at never giving up. Hope lives in us and it gives us the courage and strength we need to not just survive but create a life better than before our stroke. We were all saved for a reason. How great is that.
God Bless Mulchie.
Thanks for the encouraging words. Being in noisy restaurants in just awful.
It's so hard to explain to someone that you can't hear yet you CAN. I agree
that sometimes sounds are amplified. Not so much voices but other sounds.
I guess the thing that bothers me most is that I will have another stroke and
it will leave me disabled. This one only affected my hearing and at times I can't think clearly. Some days are better than others. I have stopped singing
in church and now only sing when I am alone and there is no background music. Keep encouraging me please. No one understands except the person that's been there.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

With a left brain injury there can be any dimension of right side impairment. My entire right side was affected, including internal functions.

Hearing in my right ear is, I'm sure, diminished. In addition, the ear gets so itchy it drives me crazy. Then it pops, then it plays cymbals. What can we do? We adjust as best we can, as you have done. My ear did not lose all hearing for which I am very thankful.

But what we ought to never accept is, "I will have another stroke." No, no, no. True, we are in another category of probability, but we can be proactive to keep another bolt (lightning bolt is the sign of stroke) away from striking. That is my daily effort. So far, so good: it will be 2 years Dec. 19. So onward we march, together.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
Mulchie (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

I agree with tinam7 you must believe and work towards prevention. If we think we are going to have another stroke it eliminates hope and without hope we have nothing. WE must as Tinam7 said march forward, dont look back, assume the best and believe that you were saved for a reason. How great is that. Saved to rebuild a life better. Im not saying it is all a bed of roses. God knows these hills we have had to climb (NO Mountains) we have had to climb are anything but easy. We get discouraged, we loose hope, are sad and disheartened. But we must fight the good fight and be courageous beyond what we ever thought we could be. You are a stroke survivor remember that and you belong to a group of people who are hero's of this world. We march forward in spite of our stroke. We believe in ourselves and believe a better life is possible. And we believe our efforts to live a healtier life is going to push all thoughts of having another stroke out of our life. I know sometimes in the quiet we have nothing but our own thoughts and they can be debilitating. Overwhelm us with all the possibilities. But on our road of recovery and wellness we must do everything we can to keep a healthy mind and body. Our strength comes not from our body but our mind our brain. WE hold the key to that strength and we are in control of it. Push forward to get beyond the fear and step forward onto a path of believing that your getting better and your marching onwards. Remember your in control of every thought. Please keep posting.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #9
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchie View Post
I agree with tinam7 you must believe and work towards prevention. If we think we are going to have another stroke it eliminates hope and without hope we have nothing. WE must as Tinam7 said march forward, dont look back, assume the best and believe that you were saved for a reason. How great is that. Saved to rebuild a life better. Im not saying it is all a bed of roses. God knows these hills we have had to climb (NO Mountains) we have had to climb are anything but easy. We get discouraged, we loose hope, are sad and disheartened. But we must fight the good fight and be courageous beyond what we ever thought we could be. You are a stroke survivor remember that and you belong to a group of people who are hero's of this world. We march forward in spite of our stroke. We believe in ourselves and believe a better life is possible. And we believe our efforts to live a healtier life is going to push all thoughts of having another stroke out of our life. I know sometimes in the quiet we have nothing but our own thoughts and they can be debilitating. Overwhelm us with all the possibilities. But on our road of recovery and wellness we must do everything we can to keep a healthy mind and body. Our strength comes not from our body but our mind our brain. WE hold the key to that strength and we are in control of it. Push forward to get beyond the fear and step forward onto a path of believing that your getting better and your marching onwards. Remember your in control of every thought. Please keep posting.
God Bless Mulchie
Yesterday in church was just awful trying to play the piano. I was so glad when I could sit down and listen to the preacher. My faith in God and my
dependence on Him is what keeps me going. I know He left me here for a
reason and I'm trusting Him for the outcome. I know there is much I can do
to help myself and I am trying. I need to lose about 60 pounds so my little
5ft 3" frame can better handle things. I do not smoke nor drink alcohol nor do
I have blood pressure problems so I don't worry about that. I do feel the stress from the stroke with not being able to hear but I am trying to cope. I
have to take one thing at a time. Some days I don't feel like getting out of bed. Last night I barely slept at all. Needless to say today I am dragging.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysouth View Post
Thanks for the encouraging words. Being in noisy restaurants in just awful.
It's so hard to explain to someone that you can't hear yet you CAN. I agree
that sometimes sounds are amplified. Not so much voices but other sounds.
I guess the thing that bothers me most is that I will have another stroke and
it will leave me disabled. This one only affected my hearing and at times I can't think clearly. Some days are better than others. I have stopped singing
in church and now only sing when I am alone and there is no background music. Keep encouraging me please. No one understands except the person that's been there.
Dec. 27, 2012.
I'm not sure what I do or don't do that causes me to have a good day. Perhaps a good nights rest has a lot to do with it. I have trouble staying asleep. Today was a good day. I seemed to be able to think more clearly today. I worked alot on word puzzles yesterday so that may have helped. Someone told me to stay active every day. Some days its very difficult to exercise. Since I have stopped walking every day I don't have that motivation. I didn't get out to do much shopping over the Christmas holidays. When I did I got tired after walking a little. The hearing problem still bothers me so much. I have found I can sing to myself in the car or at home without music. I am trying to memorize some old hymns. Since I play the piano, I don't always look at the words. Now I HAVE to.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

I was just talking to my husband about this very thing. I wish I could figure out why I have more energy on some days and not on others. Its a mystery to me also and it has nothing to do with how busy I was the day before. All I know is I am having many more good days energy wise than bad.
Please continue to do your walking. I know its hard to keep motivated and it is easy to become discouraged. But we gain energy from walking. I know somtimes it is exhausing but when our muscles build and our strength increases we get energy from that. It feels good after you have been walking for about 3 weeks and you start to feel the strength under you when you stand up or go to walk. Your stamina increases also because your buiding muscle. But I know what your saying, it is very hard to find the motivation. But my dear friend you must find a reason and you must create your motivation and disipline. You must continue to march forward. We can only build on what we can and strength what we can. In turn it will make us stronger mentally and physically. I can tell your getting discouraged and we have all been there. You need to keep talking to us and draw some strength from those battling the same battle. Keep Posting.
God Bless Mulchie

Old 12-28-2012, 06:12 AM   #12
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Echo everything Mulchie says here. It is like a roller coaster, one day up, the next down. But the overall direction is up, if ever so slowly.

We must do battle every day, never give up. Today I'm off to yoga class. I'd much rather go right back to bed.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:37 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinam7 View Post
Echo everything Mulchie says here. It is like a roller coaster, one day up, the next down. But the overall direction is up, if ever so slowly.

We must do battle every day, never give up. Today I'm off to yoga class. I'd much rather go right back to bed.
My ability to stay asleep at night is getting much better. It's been a couple of weeks since I woke up in the middle of the night and could not go back to sleep. I have started working on an eliptical 10 min. in the morning and 10 in the evening hoping that will at least give me some exercise each day. I have a Total Gym that I need to work on too but have not started that yet. I still do not get out and walk as it is too cold in the morning and dark when I get home from work in the afternoons. I am looking forward to the summer when I can get back into the groove. My neurologist recently told me to stop the Plavix and start taking a whole aspirin every day along with Previcid twice a day. My internest will not take me off the Plavix, at least not now. I see her next week so maybe she will discuss this further. My good days are much more now than the bad days so am thankful for that. I guess sometimes I really don't know how to be thankful enough that I am where I am. I could be so much worse off.
Thanks for the encouraging words. It is very good to hear from those in similar circumstances.

Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 AM   #14
(female)

This sounds so good. The elliptical is excellent and 10 minutes is fine. The good days do indeed increase. The professionals ought to ask us how long we continue to make progress. We could tell them,

"As long as we are breathing and living." Thank you for keeping us updated.

Last edited by tinam7; 01-09-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Old 01-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Yes it is hard to say thank you thank you when your climbing a mountain every day but you really are doing awesome. We struggle and we chat with friends here and we do all that we can to make our selves well. But then in the quiet comes this tiny little voice that says Why me and thats when it becomes hard to say I am thankful.
Your post was awesome but your statement about havign a hard time being thankful stuck in my mind after I read it. I think we can all relate to how your feeling. But the bigger picture is you are doing very well and your determination and courage is paying off. I take my hat off to you, your doing great.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
sunnysouth (01-11-2013)
Reply Reply