It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(male)

DIZZYBEAN HB User
Gentamicin toxicity warning!

In my initial posting on this board, I mentioned how an injection of gentamicin in my ear immediately left me with hardly any balance on my right side, worsening my vertigo so that I can no longer drive and am housebound. My surroundings are in a constant spinning motion when I am on my feet,causing me to sit or lie down too often.I feel my original warning might have been lost in my lengthy posting and can't express enough the warning of the dangers of this drug

Gentamicin is an antibiotic still being used by some physicians for many medical problems despite its toxicity. Chances are that some on this board may be exposed to a physician recommending its use. Any MD reckless enough to introduce this drug into your system should be avoided (search Google under "gentamicin toxicity" and also the "gentamicin message board").

P.S. I chose the spinning avatar on my post as it seems appropriate for my vertiginous condition. If anyone finds this annoying, please let me know.

Last edited by DIZZYBEAN; 09-27-2012 at 06:15 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to DIZZYBEAN For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 02:51 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Gentamicin toxicity warning!

G’ day DIZZYBEAN,
Hope you are well. Thank you for all the useful information. Your avatar does not worry me at the slightest.
Hope we keep hearing from you.
George.

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
DIZZYBEAN (09-29-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’ day DIZZYBEAN,
Hope you are well. Thank you for all the useful information. Your avatar does not worry me at the slightest.
Hope we keep hearing from you. You are an important part of the stroke survivor family.
George.

Last edited by goingtorun; 09-28-2012 at 02:57 AM. Reason: lift a sentance out, sorry.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

It does not bother me in the slightest and I agree with George you are a important member of our stroke family. Please keep posting.
My husband suffers from vertigo he has not had a stroke but his symptoms sometimes would leave him in bed unable to function. His doctor put him on "serk" ( dont know if I spelled that right) and it has made a big big difference. Also he is just newly trying the vertigo braceletts apparently they work really well for people who go on cruises for sea sickness and for car sickness and virtego. I will let you know if they help at all. Thank you for passing along the info about the antibiotic. It is frightening to think there maybe still be doctors out there who would perscripe it. You have made us wiser to it and thats a good thing. Thanks Again!
God Bless Mulche

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
DIZZYBEAN (09-29-2012)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

interesting......gentamicin is an ingredient in an ear medicine called Otomax, which is prescribed for dogs who have ear infections. It's also an ingredient I've learned to stay away from because it has a possibility to cause deafness. I had a dog go deaf from it, and regain his hearing 6 months later, and lost it again eventually.

Reply Reply