It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
(female)

leapyear HB User
Stroke - parietal lobe, left side

I had a small vessel stroke on the left side of the parietal lobe around April or May of 2012. I did not find this out until an mri was done mid-June. (done due to disorientation, confusion, etc.) I believe the panic/anxiety attacks I began having and still have sometimes was a result of the stroke along with other obvious symptoms (processing of thoughts/locations, some clumsiness while walking, etc.). Has anyone else had this type of stroke, and did any panic/anxiety/depression come on as a result of it? I had to take off work about a month due to the panic episodes. I will have a 2nd mri in mid-Oct to see if anything has changed. I am female, age 60. I am taking a couple medications, which seem to be helping somewhat. I do have a full time desk job, also.

If anyone has had this type of stroke, I would love to hear from you. Thank you so much!

Last edited by leapyear; 09-30-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Old 09-30-2012, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Stroke - parietal lobe, left side

G’day leapyear,
Welcome aboard; hope you are well as can be. Every stroke is different, although there are similarities. I had a stroke on the 18/03/2011, a rather nasty clot in the brain stem.
I still, find it very difficult to control my emotions and, also find myself depressed at various times of the day and night.. I refuse to take any meds, for these conditions, its just the way i am, it doesn’t mean meds don’t work for you. My thougth processing and phyical co-ordination have been improving steadly.
I found you have to stay positive, I know it’s easier said than done. With me the stress of trying to make a living, really weighs me down at this stage of my life, i'm 56. I can onlyshare my experiences with you.
I'm sure someone in our family of stroke survivors will have some answers for you. Once again welcome and please keep in touch, I hope I was of help to you.
George..

Last edited by goingtorun; 09-30-2012 at 10:40 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #3
(female)

leapyear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtorun View Post
Gíday leapyear,
Welcome aboard; hope you are well as can be. Every stroke is different, although there are similarities. I had a stroke on the 18/03/2011, a rather nasty clot in the brain stem.
I still, find it very difficult to control my emotions and, also find myself depressed at various times of the day and night.. I refuse to take any meds, for these conditions, its just the way i am, it doesnít mean meds donít work for you. My thougth processing and phyical co-ordination have been improving steadly.
I found you have to stay positive, I know itís easier said than done. With me the stress of trying to make a living, really weighs me down at this stage of my life, i'm 56. I can onlyshare my experiences with you.
I'm sure someone in our family of stroke survivors will have some answers for you. Once again welcome and please keep in touch, I hope I was of help to you.
George..

Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 AM   #4
(female)

leapyear HB User

Thank you, George, so much for writing me. I do get very emotional at times, too, and I don't like that, especially when I'm getting ready for work and the tears are flowing. I know things are different now and my stroke probably wasn't so severe as to cause paralysis, but the panic attacks and anxiety that followed weren't pleasant; and, they really haven't gone away. So, I take it a day at a time. I hope the best for you! Sandy

Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hello leapyear,
I hope you are doing well today. I am 4 months post stroke. (TIA left frontal with mild effects to right-side body). As several others have said on here, although you might have had a "mild stroke"....it's still a stroke. Although I may look at you and never know that you had a stroke....it's still a stroke. With me, depression and axiety did not set in until about a 1 month post stroke. I never knew what fatigue was until then either. It is for real.....the old saying Don't judge a book by its cover relates to stoke survivors also! You can't always look at a person and know what they are feeling, or how bad their effected limbs are hurting, or how their emotions are all over the place.
Thanks to this site, I have learned so much. I learned fatigue, anxiety, and depression are completely normal. All the little things you think your doctor(s) would tell you but they don't. Silly thing is I didn't even realize I was fatigued, all I knew was I slept ALL the time and had zero energy.

The posters on here are truly wonderful and speak and share from the heart!

I admire all of you for helping each other.

Sincerely,
Iwamura

The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
leapyear (10-01-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #6
(female)

leapyear HB User

Thank you for writing to me, Iwamura! You are aboslutely right. At work, I find myself trying to fake being cheery, and wonder if it comes across fake or real. I've always been known as a very upbeat person, but do not feel that way at all now. I use to be always laughing, smiling, the comic. I want to be that person again. Thanks again! Sandy

Old 10-01-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Don't even know what kind of stroke I had, but it was the left brain affecting the right side. Same as my sibling.

The overt effects are one thing; the interior are something else. Mysterious, really, as is the brain, of course. I can definitely speak to the change in emotions. I'll cry at anything, including at all I did not lose, out of gratitude. Sometimes I even think my personality changed, not all for the worse either.

Thank you for all the posts. Together we learn, we adapt, we try, we hope.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
leapyear (10-02-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
leapyear (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Leapyear, I know exactly what you mean. I went back to work two weeks after my stroke like nothing ever happened but my body, mind, and soul finally crashed hard! I have been off work for 2 months since then and just now feeling like i can attempt to return to work. There is no faking feeling good and no faking feeling bad. It's something you can not control. Time and rest and of course the proper medicines if needed. Family and friends are important too! Do not shut them out...it is just as difficult for them too.

Iwamura

Reply Reply