It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #16
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User
Re: Very nervous about the numbness growing

G’day guyp,
Hows’ it going mate, hanging in there? Welcome to the stress bucket club, it’s a very exquisite club; you have to be born into it.
The doctors’ reck’n that stress was the major contributor to me having a stroke. For a long time I was under a ton of pressure there was no let up. You see even after *** I have been though I still stress *** the time.
I currently work for the best boss any person can wish for, and I still worry about everything. Mine you it’s the first time in my life I have had to work for anyone but myself.
I can handle *** that life throws at me physic***y, but ment***y I just cannot stop worrying. I been a stress freak *** my life, and don’t think that’s ever going to change in a hurry.
I know I have to change, at 56 that easier said than done, I’m more or less set in my ways. Believe me, I am trying to change my way of life. So guyp you are definitely not on your own mate. I guess we just have to keep on trying to change our mine set.
***the best
George

Last edited by goingtorun; 10-25-2012 at 03:04 AM. Reason: program was editing out "***", sum reason

Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #17
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

The Stress Bucket Club; wow, at last I belong to some exclusive club. Is it true that your doctor actually admitted that stress was a major contributor? It is what I believe completely. Throw in a few bad genes.

Now I'll stick my neck out even further by suggesting that certain personality types may be more vulnerable. This is founded on a "scientific study of 2," brother and me. The likes of us gobble up stress as if it were candy because we just know we are responsible for the well being of all others around us. Brother had 3 strokes (that I know of), I've had 1 and intend to have no more. Evoke him and stroke emotionalism sets in.

So, yes indeed, we need to change. How? George, you can pave the way for us since you inducted us into the exclusive club (joking). My big way is meditation and during meditation I do quiet, therapeutic talking to myself. Isn't it wonderful to be here?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #18
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Wow what a dandy club to be a part of. Thanks George. The stress bucket club. I must admit that they couldn't find a reason for my stroke so it must be stress. Interesting. I know it is not easy to change at 57. But for our sake we have to try. How do you let go of the upbringing of always do your best so you never have to look back and say I could have done better. I don't know.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #19
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

So stress comes out on top again. Another member with proper qualifications. Welcome.

It is indeed always doing your best for everyone and maybe you yourself can get a crumb or two. I tell you, I'm changing that to the best of my ability. There will be no further surprise visitors in the brain.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
(female)

Travelmom HB User

Hiya, hope you don't mind my jumping in here. I am new to the site and this is my 1st post. I had a thalamic stroke 2 days before my 40th birthday in 2008. Unfortunately, I am still dealing with numbness, tingling & outright pain. Stress is definitely a huge factor in how I feel on a daily basis.

I was making great strides in the first 12 months after my stroke, though I was still experiencing the numbness, et al. Then we moved from Australia to Singapore and it was almost as if I went right back to the start again! My husband then left me and took my young sons saying I was unfit as a mother. I had a heart attack 8 months after coming here. My pain levels are off the scale and my numbness fluctuates still on a daily basis!

All this is to say that you have to do what ever you can to lower those stress levels. When you feel it building up think to yourself, "Is this really worth risking increased pain, numbness & worry?" Learn to breathe and pace yourself. Your new pace will be slower than the old one. Get used to this. I hope your healing will go better than mine did. We are all different, but I think stress is an important factor for each of us.

Beth

The following user gives a hug of support to Travelmom:
guyp (10-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Travelmom For This Useful Post:
guyp (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
(female)

Welcome Beth. I am so very sorry for the situation you describe. I just read a book by a woman with strokes whose marriage fell apart. There were children too. That angers me so much. How can someone abandon another when they are in need? I cannot understand such self-centeredness.

But, in fact, we never know what something is good for. Your conscience is free and that's worth a lot. And the best revenge is living well. The consequences of stroke can be a bumpy affair. We never, never give up or give in. We may take a step back but then charge two forward. I have read that acupuncture may help with pain. Always exercise as much and as best as you can.

We extend a warm welcome to you wanting to support you however we can. I meditate, do yoga and qigong and started a thread on these topics. Perhaps reading some of it can help as well as some other threads. Stress will give us setbacks so, as you say, we want to minimize it as best as possible. Wishing you the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
Travelmom (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
(female)

Travelmom HB User

Thank you so much Tina. I will try to post my own intro post soon so as not to hijack this thread.

Stress is our enemy, remember to breathe!

Stubbornly
Tedious
Repeating
Episodes of
Strenuous
Stupidity (of others of course ;-) )

Old 10-28-2012, 09:10 PM   #23
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Hi Beth
Hopefully this finds you well. If someone leaves you in time of need they are not much of a partner to begin with. You need to concentrate on yourself and do things to control your stress. Sounds easy, right? Not really. It's hard to teach a old dog new tricks. Think of a wonderful place and go there when stress starts. I like the outdoors and that's where I go. I wish you health and happiness.

Last edited by guyp; 10-28-2012 at 09:14 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
Travelmom (10-29-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
(female)

Travelmom HB User

Thanks Guyp. It is pretty low to walk out on a woman who gave up her life goals to support the career of her husband right when she needs him the most. Despicable really and this is what my sons are learning about how to treat women. I can only hope and pray I get a chance to undo that damage.

How are you feeling? Is the numbness continuing to increase? What type of stroke did you suffer? I have just endured a particularly stressful week and my left arm/thigh have been in excruciating pain with tingling & burning sensations. I am also having probs with low potassium levels which doesn't help. Am off to the doc again on Wednesday so hopefully will get some relief from at least the potassium issue. I never want to have to endure IV potassium again as long as I live. It is like having liquid fire put into ones veins!

Old 10-30-2012, 10:07 PM   #25
(male)

Well honestly the stroke I had was ischemic. The doctor said my arteries are clear and my MRI shows the damage and small infarctions. My numbness continues to increase and my arm and left hand are suffering. They still work but I am feeling the pain of continuing. I will but I feel the pain. It has been quite a journey and my friends here tell me to give it time. I agree. Time is our friend also. Here's hoping you have health and happiness.

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
goingtorun (10-31-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #26
(female)

Travelmom HB User

I understand that you had an ischemic stroke, but I am wondering which section of your brain was affected. Some of the things you talk about sound so very similar to what I have experienced with my stroke. Mine was also ischemic and was in my right rear thalamus.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
(male)

I will ask when I go to the doctor appointment next week.

Old 10-31-2012, 03:17 PM   #28
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelmom View Post
I understand that you had an ischemic stroke, but I am wondering which section of your brain was affected. Some of the things you talk about sound so very similar to what I have experienced with my stroke. Mine was also ischemic and was in my right rear thalamus.
Hi travel mom...I was told mine was left frontal ischemic affecting my right side. With the hypersensitivity I am having I also think I had thalamus damage as well. Guyp and I are running along the same time frame and symptoms. Hey guyp, I laughed when you said something about acting like a baby.....I was thinking the same about myself.hahahaha Has this cooler weather affected you????
Hope you're having an awesome day!
Iwamura

Old 11-01-2012, 06:01 AM   #29
(female)

Travelmom HB User

Hi Iwamura,
I have seen you posting with Guyp. I am so sorry that you both have joined the stroke club. At least we all made it through and are able to talk to each other about it. I know that thalamic strokes present differently from regular strokes in that they are completely unilateral in their damage. A regular stroke will affect one side of the body, but the opposite side of the face. With my stroke, I lost feeling from the top of my head straight down the midline to the tip of my toes on the left side. Once feeling began to return, it came as tingling sort of like novacaine wearing off after a dentist visit. Unfortunately, that is as good as it got for me. After that, pain and burning sensations began. I also have that feeling that I believe Guyp was talking about like tight bands on his wrists. Mine are like supper tight bike shorts on my left thigh and a band around my left rib cage. Such weird sensations. The hardest thing for me to get my mind around is the fact that the doctors say that all this pain I am in doesn't really exist. Where the body normally tells the brain that something hurts, my brain is now telling my body that it hurts even though there is no actual injury. Freakin' weird I tell ya. Then people try to jump on that and tell me that it is all in my mind. I want to kill people sometimes! I calmly try to explain that while there may not be an actual injury, my brain is responding as if there were so the that I really am in pain regardless. Frustrated, but glad to be alive.

Old 11-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #30
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hello travelmom,
It is true that there may not be anything wrong with your arm or leg but merely the signal your brain is sending. I will say that we tend to no use the limb that hurts and that's when it's important to stretch the tendons and muscles to prevent it from drawing. My hand/wrist and my THIGH especially hurts, tight, numb, and tingles making it difficult to walk and I completely avoid stairs now. For some strange reason at bedtime it gets more sensitive making me feel so restless and uneasy that I can't lay still!

Reply Reply