It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 01:33 PM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
Very nervous about the numbness growing

I just can't shake the being nervous over the numbness growing 3 and 1/2 months post stroke. It is unnerving as my hand is 3/4 numb and it wasn't before
My foot is 3/4 numb and it wasn't before. More numbness in back and rib age and more in my jaw. How long before the brain stops struggling or our we all different my arm is now 1/2 numb and it is really just unnerving. Just wanting to know if this is expected or mine is something new.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Very nervous about the numbness growing

If you are anxious thinking perhaps you had another incident then you may want to call your doctor.

For myself I can say that the numbness does vary some, maybe it got worse and I can't even remember because I was so intent on denial. But overall I'd say it improves, if ever so slightly. I've dealt with this 2 years this Dec. The numbness is still here but I have my precious mobility and my right arm and hand do all I need them to do. Are you impaired in any movements?

The right side of my face feels numb including even my right nostril and I lost my taste except for craving sweets which I never did in the past. But thankfully my face is not disfigured. I meditate every day to stay calm, keep BP at good levels and praise brain for always trying. Maybe this can help some. You don't want to be nervous or upset.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

No I don't feel like I had another incident. I still have motion and movement. It is numb where it was hyper sensitive when the stroke first happened. It will be okay once this extra stuff subsides. I look forward to calmness and knowing where rock bottom is at.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hi guyp, I think you are describing what I am experiencing. Where I had originally felt the tingling has recently turned numb and at times painful. I know...numb but painful sounds like a double edge sword but that's the best I can describe it. There are days that's it's worse than others and like others have said there is no rhyme or reason that we can explain. However, stress and anxiety seems to make it worse or more noticeable.

By all accounts, I am told it's completely normal. My neurologist says some ppl see improvement within 6 months to a year but each individual case is different. But I agree with you it is very un-nerving and wears on me...moving and the oh so slight touch is painful. I also have the hypersensitivity.

Don't give up on hope,
Iwamura

Old 10-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
(male)

Thank you for your post. It is great to hear from someone with similar experiences.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello Guy,

I know how difficult it can be to feel like you are possibly regressing, but stroke recovery is a lot of "one step forward, two steps back" in many areas. I must agree with the others who encouraged you to keep your eye on the prize, and do not allow this seeming setback to influence your attitude or hope.

I am nine years past my strokes, and I continued to recovery in many ways for many years. The life lessons have gone on to this day, but the physical recovery zigzagged along for the longest time. It was only after much fine tuning did I get to where I am today. Lots of forward steps, lots of backward steps, side steps, but as long as you continue to step some way or another, you are making progress.

Try to keep working on your circulation by massage, exercises and range of motion work. Keep your brain focused on trying to move and work those areas, even if it does not seem to work. Keep the signals coming and the movement going.

Block all the negative thinking, for it will not help you towards anything.Give yourself lots of positive reinforcement, keeping a list of positive statements posted where you can see them if necessary. Y0ur brain is trying so hard to med itself, so give it everything you have to help it along that path. Attitude is everything, and that is something only you can foster, protect and guide.

Wishing you the best, as always...

Janet

Old 10-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #7
(male)

Thank you for posting. You written words do help tremendously

The following user gives a hug of support to guyp:
writeleft (10-23-2012)
Old 10-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #8
(male)

Well just to give an update. More numbness and pain in my left arm and leg. I still have motion but my bicep and elbow has pain now and stress doesn't help. Mine just hasn't settled down. My wrist is much harder to move and my fingers hurt now. It's okay because I know I'm happy to have a second bite of the apple like George says. I am exercising and enjoying each day. Thanks for listening as I would like other survivors to understand there are issues after the initial stroke.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Wish I could keep up the optimistic hype. The other night I actually thought I had stopped breathing when something woke me up to a terrible coughing fit. Breathing was affected too. A doctor would probably have me hooked up to oxygen. Since I am in this alone, I must accept the consequences. Going in my sleep is not so bad.

It's a daily uphill trek. Stroke has continuous surprises in store for us. Fortunately wherever Will and Stubbornness are situated in the old brain, they got stronger. I go at it almost with a vengeance. Today I am off to the gym to pump every machine there is whether body or limbs want to or not.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:50 AM   #10
(female)

Just want to report that exercise is manna from heaven. Without a doubt it is the path to wellness: no repeats along with the eventual restoration of functions and movements. Sometimes even fatigue can subside.

We have enormous power to overcome what has struck us.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #11
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hi Guyp,
How are you feeling? Sunday I realized that I have not had numbness in my face all weekend.....however, last week AT WORK I had it all day everyday. Yesterday and today not as much in my face but fingers and hand hurt bad and arm burning pain. Leg half numb and heavy....kinda sorta like a charlie-horse pain.

I hope this note finds you doing well today! I look forward to hearing your update.

Sincerely,
Iwamura

Old 10-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
(male)

I have been really numb due to worry about the job I am doing. I am very far behind. As I get caught up more work appears. This causes stress which causes numbness and pain.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

AHA! Guy, what a realization...The stress is causing it to flare up..that is very good to know, it is just how can you avoid the stress?

I have had to change many things about my lifestyle to keep the stress from my life. I have become so sensitive to stress, I must constantly keep vigilant to keep my life very calm and stress free. My first reaction to stress is the loss of control of my blood pressure. It will immediately shoot up to over 200/100 at the drop of a hat, My family are very aware of keeping the house stress free. My husband will do anything to keep me from it.

Just last week I was hospitalized twice for a blood pressure crisis brought on my stress. I am still suffering from the wild swings that came with getting it back on track.

Of course life includes some things which we cannot avoid, but we have to really pick and choose which items we can allow ourselves to worry about. Worry itself is difficult to manage, but we can always choose how we accept lifes challenges.

The best for you Guy..

Janet

Old 10-24-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
(female)

Guyp,
Has your employer made any modifications to help make your job easier to manage? Are you able to take breaks throughout the day?

And have you shared these issues with your doctors???

Sorry so many questions. There is just no easy answer and finding our limitations and doing it sometimes seems impossible. I am learning little by little and struggling with the same thing.

Have a blessed day,
Iwamura

Old 10-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
(male)

Yes my employer is understanding to a point. Not so good when we start getting behind. That's when stress becomes involved. I can come and go as I please. But that doesn't help the stress. How to let go when you leave. That's the question I need an answer to. You guys have a better tomorrow.

Reply Reply