HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Stroke (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/)
-   -   Botox for fine motor (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/stroke/921600-botox-fine-motor.html)

dwu23 10-04-2012 03:33 PM

Botox for fine motor

Hi,

I had a stroke last summer when I was 18. I have issues with spastcity. I was wondering if anyone has had success with botox and if it helped with fine motor.

Thanks

tinam7 10-05-2012 08:22 AM

Re: Botox for fine motor

Welcome to a warm and friendly place of warrior stroke survivors. I am always astounded and so sorry at how young people, like you, are struck. Youth is no protection against this affliction.

I have not tried Botox but checked my reference on stroke and it speaks of the potential benefits. Here is a quote, "The combination of Botox and exercise techniques used to initiate movement can be effective in improving movement and permanently reducing spasticity. Botox is injected into tight muscles, and those muscles then relax enough to unmask available movement. The idea is to allow recovery options that promote brain rewiring using movement that was impossible to achieve prior to the Botox treatment." It is still essentially a brain rewiring issue, but movement must be initiated. Apparently this can be set in motion with Botox.

Hope this is of some help. Stay well and keep us posted.

Alberta1967 10-05-2012 01:36 PM

Hi. I get Botox every three months. As a matter of fact, I am going back Monday for my next round. I think it has helped. I do not hurt as much as I used to. Good luck. Alberta

dwu23 10-05-2012 11:32 PM

Does it allow you to type faster and function normally?

Mulchie 10-06-2012 07:28 AM

Hi DWU23
I have not had any botox however, I do know a doctor who uses it as treatment for severe back pain and knee pain. It is very successful in helping to control pain and increase mobility. He administers it by way of ultra sound and it makes a difference in peoples ability to walk and be pain free for so many months.
My daughter had it for her shoulder however, the doctors assistant administered to many injections and it caused her muscle weakness instead. It was terrible for three months until the botox worked its way out of the muscle. Do your research and make sure your doctor is of the highest recommendation. Botox is used for so many things now Im sure you will have no problem finding a doctor however its finding a doctor with LOTS of credibility in this area. Because Botox is used for cosmetic reasons many are administering it without the indepth knowledge to their credit. Just do your research on the doctor you choose and demand the best for yourself. Good Luck Please let us know how you make out.
God Bless Mulchie

Mulchie 10-06-2012 07:31 AM

Hi Alberta
Where do you get the botox and how many injections.
How are you doing these days? So nice to see your post.God Bless Mulchie

Alberta1967 10-06-2012 11:53 AM

I still do not have the use of my left arm, so I guess I should not have answered your question. Sorry about that. I know my muscules are not as tight as they were. Alberta

Alberta1967 10-06-2012 11:56 AM

Hi Mulchie, I get about 9 up & down my arm and about 5 in my leg. I am so busy with my kids, I don't have much time on the computer anymore. Thanks for asking. Alberta

Mulchie 10-08-2012 08:26 AM

So great to hear your doing well. "Busy with my kids you say." Your such a good mom.
God bless Mulchie

Alberta1967 10-08-2012 01:04 PM

I am glad someone thinks so. They don't. But thanks for saying.

Mulchie 10-10-2012 11:56 AM

Dear Alberta
I was always the type of mom that never went for popular but always went for what was right. I was strict so you know how popular I was. But later when they grew up they honestly thanked me for being strict. They said if I hadnt been in their business all the time they probably wouldnt have turned out so well. Parenting is anything but easy and many times I wondered if I could send them back. But then God reminded me how much I wanted them and how much I loved them and couldnt live with out them. So I would dust myself off pick my self up and get ready for the next battle. No it wasnt easy, but they truly are a blessing.
So I hear ya!!
God Bless Mulchie

Mulchie 10-11-2012 07:31 PM

Hi dwu23 How are you making out. did you try the botox? Im curious how you made out and if it was of any help for your arm.
God Bless Mulchie

mj2 10-17-2012 09:19 AM

My husband has had botox injections in hand, wrist, and thumb to help with spasticity following a stroke. Yes, I believe that they definitely help with the spasticity. He has function that didn't exist before the injections, so we'll be going back for another round in a couple of weeks.

As to whether or not they could help you type faster, I don't know. If your typing speed is directly related to spasticity, botox might be a solution.