It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
(female)

lynnfitz HB User
Father had stroke 1 week ago-questions

Hi-First time on the boards! My dad had a stroke 1 week ago. I have a general question regarding it-he had it Sat night, (not clotting type of stroke, sorry forget the technical name), the first day or two he was talking a bit-alot of it unclear (most of it unclear). Anyway, during the week he had a fever for 2 days, which has been gone since yesterday, the bleeding and swelling in the brain has gone down a little. Yesterday he was opening his eyes a bit, and realized we were there. He even said 1 or 2 words,We left the hospital feeling encouraged, but now today, we couldn't wake him (it's been 1 week). He's 81, good health until now. Is this still the brain recovering from the swelling? One thing I have learned in the week, is that every stroke patient is different, but any idea how long this sleeping would continue, or what to expect?
Thank you!

The following user gives a hug of support to lynnfitz:
4birds (10-23-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Father had stroke 1 week ago-questions

Yes, stroke stikes out of the blue and turns things upside down. Indeed there are such vast differences in stroke recovery that any guess could be wrong. People go into coma and emerge to continue improvement to overcome seemingly immense obstacles.

We can learn much from each other here. So, if you can, please keep us posted. For now we wish your father the best recovery and extend our empathy for your family's distress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
(female)

lynnfitz HB User

thank you! He did start to open his eyes a little, and the neurologist hopes that in the next few days, he'll "turn the corner" and start improving. Fever is gone, bleeding and swelling have gone down. Blood, urine, etc has been tested, and no infection. Today he didn't open his eyes like yesterday, but tomorrow is another day-quite the roller coaster ride! thank you again for your kind words.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

I am so sorry to hear about you father. I hope that each day brings improvement. You and your family are in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Iwamura

Last edited by Iwamura; 10-16-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Old 10-16-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Everyone responds differently. Remember talk to him normally as you would and keep him in the conversation. It is hard at first but it gets easier. He is there. My father had a stroke due to surgery and was bedridden for 10 years. I would not trade a minute of the time I spent taking care of him. Good luck and my prayers are with you and your father.

Last edited by guyp; 10-16-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello and Welcome.
I am so sorry for what your dad is going through. Its very difficult for family to try and understand what he is going through. Your right no two strokes are alike and every stroke patient is different. The brain is amazing but after we suffer a stroke it is swollen and the swelling causes difficulties.
Continue to talk to him quietly and keep all conversations positive and uplifting. Make sure everyone who visits does the same. And never never give up. If you can read some of the posts. You will be encouraged by people's amazing recoveries. It gives us hope and hope is where all great things become a possibility. From the presence of Hope comes the greatest miracles.
Please keep in touch God Bless Mulchie

Old 10-19-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G,day lynnfitz,
Hope you and all your loved ones are well.
Keep simulating all your fathers’ senses. Like others have already suggested talk to him, have a conversation as if he’s awake. Rub his arms and feet with materials of different texture, eg use a terry towelling cloth, and then use a silk like cloth, even run hair comb gently over his skin. Leave the radio on overnight.
I hope I was able to help. Wishing you the best.
George…

Reply Reply