It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
4 months post stroke

Hi guys
My 4th month update.
I'm still waiting for my symptoms to stop growing. I am working and driving but my numbness is continuing to expand. I don't feel different other than the numb and pain that is associated with the stroke. My doctor says this is normal and to give it 6 months and see where I am. Just wanted to keep everyone updated on my progress.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User
Re: 4 months post stroke

Hi Guyp,
I feel like I'm on the same course. I feel worse as far as the pain. I'm beginning to wonder if part of it is side effects from medicine mainly Crestor. The nerve pain is real though....therapist said the burning pain is nerve pain I feel during therapy and excersise. Not as much weight training like I use to do 5-6 times a week prior to stroke but a lot of stretching now.

I REALLY want to have a positive attitude and outlook....this is so not me to complain, whine and *****!

I am thankful though.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

I know I am exactly the same. I just want others to realize they are not alone when having these symptoms. Thanks for writing and I don't consider it whining. I think it is concern for both of us.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I encourage both of you to try and not focus too much on the time table set up by doctors.

In my experience sharing with so many stroke survivors, is that we each make our recoveries in different ways. While one of us may be quick back on their feet, and another may conquer their speech faster than another...Numbness does seem to be something that most of overcome, some in a smooth progression, some with jerks and starts, followed by setbacks. As with most of our symptoms, it can be a "one step forward, two steps back" type recovery.

I can assure you, time is your best friend, and keeping postive and making the most of your abilities while you overcome your deficits.

BEst to you...
Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (10-16-2012)
Old 10-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
I encourage both of you to try and not focus too much on the time table set up by doctors.

In my experience sharing with so many stroke survivors, is that we each make our recoveries in different ways. While one of us may be quick back on their feet, and another may conquer their speech faster than another...Numbness does seem to be something that most of overcome, some in a smooth progression, some with jerks and starts, followed by setbacks. As with most of our symptoms, it can be a "one step forward, two steps back" type recovery.

I can assure you, time is your best friend, and keeping postive and making the most of your abilities while you overcome your deficits.

BEst to you...
Janet
G'day guyp,
Once again Janet hits the nail right on its head. well said Janet.

God bless you all.
George.........

Last edited by goingtorun; 10-16-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Janet, thank you for the words of encouragement. As we all know each day is a new challenge and hope. It is simply a blessing to be here with all of you. You are a positive outlet for me.

And to Guyp, how are you doing today??

Old 10-16-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
(male)

I am doing well thank you. Been walking up and down stairs and doing small work with hands. How are you doing today?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
(female)

My day was pretty good. Moderate pain and not as hypersensitive as the last few days. I will find out tomorrow if cholesterol med will be changed.

Glad your day was good. I hope you rest well tonight and have an even brighter day tomorrow!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:45 PM   #9
(male)

Everyday is a better day and thank you for the thought. I hope your dreams come true as well

Old 10-17-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

It is great to see all the positive exchanges of support and encouragement between us. How wonderful to have a place to check in and share our ups and downs, as we travel this path together.

It never gets old! It allows us to have everything we need to share with the next new stroke survivor that should come along, as well. The ability to provide some sense of comfort and understanding to another stroke survivor is so helpful in our own healing process, in my opinion. Giving back makes the circle complete.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #11
(male)

Well said.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 PM   #12
(female)

I love my Health Boards friends!
When no one else seems to understand.....I always know that you do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Iwamura For This Useful Post:
guyp (10-22-2012)
Old 10-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
(male)

Absolutely. And I feel the same way. Thanks to everyone for being there. Without you guys I would have been lost.

Last edited by guyp; 10-17-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
(female)

sunnysouth HB Usersunnysouth HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtorun View Post
G'day guyp,
Once again Janet hits the nail right on its head. well said Janet.

God bless you all.
George.........
My stroke was in March and it seems it only affected my hearing. I was really
tired afterward and only started feeling better about a month or so ago. My
good days are now more than the bad ones for which I am most grateful. My
doctor said my hearing would probably not get any better as that was one
area of the brain that usually did not regenerate. The ENT doctor said hearing
aids would not help me. I am constantly trying to do whatever I can to stimulate my brain. Trying to keep the stress level down and keeping busy.
I have not had any numbness at all except a couple of days after the stroke
my left hand had a weird touch sensation but that is all gone now.
I know that my situation is a little unusual but no less scary. My mother had a
major stroke at 63 and died that same year. Her dad had several strokes at the age of 65 so at almost 68 now I guess I tend to wonder when the next
one will come. But medicine has advanced so much since 1980. My doctor
continues to encourage me and that helps as much as anything else.
Joyce

The Following User Says Thank You to sunnysouth For This Useful Post:
guyp (10-22-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #15
(male)

That's why I am so happy to be here. It's a second chance at changing the important items in your life. Mine has certainly changed. I hope and pray your hearing gets better

Reply Reply