It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #1
(female)

4birds HB User
Smile Stroke Survivor

Hello, fellow stroke survivors! I suffered a CVA stroke on Oct 8, 2012 at the age of 49. I did NOT have any "bad habits", other than the fact that I was taking birth control pills. So, guess what got the blame for my stroke?? Fortunately, only my speech was affected. I have begun speech therapy and am happy to report that I am making good progress although I am far from being recovered. Regardless of your situation, I highly recommend speech therapy. I am blessed with an wonderful, compassionate and caring family. I believe that is making a difference with my recovery. I also have already figured out that when my body is feeling "tired", it is serious about taking the time to rest or have a nap. It helps me to get "energized" to carry on with family activities or other simple chores. I hope I can be of some inspiration to at least one other person similar to myself.

Last edited by 4birds; 10-31-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User
Re: Stroke Survivor

Welcome to a lovely community of stroke survivors and fighters.

So what gets the blame for your stroke? I'm asking this because I'm still trying to figure out the cause of mine. Since it also struck my brother out of the blue, I maintain that for us it was primarily a genetic weakness. This seems to be confirmed to me by how it strikes the young. They didn't even live long enough for parts of the system to wear out, or so I think.

You will find your brain is very willing to work with you and to heal itself. Wishing you a continuous, steady, full recovery.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
(female)

4birds HB User

The only cause the doctors could come up with was the use of birth control pills. Good luck with your stroke issues. I know that I am much more aware of how a stroke patient truly feels since I have had this happen to me.

Last edited by 4birds; 10-25-2012 at 06:53 AM.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Hello 4birds,

I join tinam in welcoming you to group, and I really like tinams use of the words "survivors and fighters".. That says it so well.

It is a fight, but not against anything, or anyone..it is a fight within ourselves that we can win, both physically and emotionally. I survived 4 strokes almost 10 years ago, in fact this month I believe! I credit the time I have spent here as one of the largest parts of my success. Making the connection with others is a lifeline that cannot be overlooked. Please feel welcome to jump right in!

I hope you find the postivie nature of this place and its members, and come often!

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
4birds (10-25-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 AM   #5
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Hi 4birds (I do so love birds),

My curiosity got the better of me, but others here (Janet for one) are so much better in the Welcome Department.

Thank you for sharing what you know. I've read that about birth control pills but could hardly believe it. If such serious risks are indeed real, why are they still dispensing them? Find that baffling.

Other factors for stroke risk are high BP, high cholesterol, smoking, excess weight, sedentary life style. That leaves out genetic dispositions and stress. I believe stress is much more of a culprit than is acknowledged. And we can try to avoid stress or deal with it in a less damaging way. These are the factors I consider in looking to avoid a repeat. So far so good. It will be 2 years Dec. 19, an anniversary that will not slip by unnoticed. You are very early in stroke recovery. Every day will be better for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
4birds (10-25-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello and welcome to our family. I am so glad you found us.
I am over 2 years in stroke recovery and when all is said and done they are blaming my two strokes on hormone replacement "estrogen". I was placed on estrogen by my doctor after a full historectomy. Since my last stroke I have had 2 doctors say Yes to the estrogen and 3 doctors say no to the estrogen. Needless to say I am not on it anymore.
You are blessed with a caring family and your right that support can make all the difference in the world to our recovery. Also the rest you mention and yes I couldnt agree with you more the importance of resting and allowing our bodies heal.
Your posts will definetly help others. Our encouragement and experience helps all of us on this journey of healing. Im so glad you have joined us. Keep posting.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
4birds (10-28-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #7
(female)

4birds HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stroke Survivor

Just wanted to post an update on my progress since my stroke. I have been released from speech therapy after only 11 sessions, but am still doing my "homework" on my own at home. I still get tired by the latter part of the day & my words become somewhat more slurred as compared to earlier in the day. My need for a "rest" or "15 minute nap" during the day is no longer needed. My stamina is getting better except when I actually tackle a long day of shopping/household chores/etc, then I begin to feel the fatigue set in much quicker. My blood profile has indicated that I very possibly have a condition known as "Lupus Anti Coagulant", which means that my blood clots easier than most people. This is NOT related to the disease "Lupus" & I feel as if it has been misnamed, so I wanted to be sure everyone knows this information. I am awaiting a visit with a hemotologist to confirm the blood test results. Apparently, this condition is rather rare. I realize that I am not 100% recovered & maybe never will be, but I feel so grateful that I have faired so well thus far.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Its sounds like your doing really well. Increased stamina just seems to make everything so much better. Im glad to hear you are pushing forward for answers medically. You deserve to know what exactly is wrong so your healing can continue.
So glad you gave us an update on your progress. I hope you are still taking time to rest even though you feel its not needed our bodies still need that time to rest it is healing and helps the body continue in getting better and staying well.
Keep in touch
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
4birds (12-30-2012)
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
(female)

4birds HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stroke Survivor

Wanted to take a lil time to pass along information about my most recent findings regarding my stroke from Oct 2012. All blood tests from the hemotologist came back perfect! I am now taking Zocor, 162mg aspirin, 1000mg fish oil & 400mg Vitamin E. No prescription blood thinners, which I must say is a major blessing!! My neurologist has come to believe that birth control pills is the ONLY thing that could have been responsible for the stroke. My blood pressure, weight, age and all other possible culprits have been eliminated & he said he has had around 10 other women similar to me in the last 12 years who have also suffered strokes due to birth control pills. So believe me, although I know it is very rare "STROKES DO HAPPEN TO HEALTHY, YOUNG WOMEN". Age is not a factor & that is exactly what I tell people when they make a comment saying that I am "too young" to have had a stroke. I will say that some days are better than others, meaning that some days I am more easily worn out, especially when I am working my brain with bookkeeping, accounting or tax preparation issues. And, there are frequent mild headaches that are probably one of my new "normal" parts of life. Yes, life is different for sure, but hopefully things will continue to improve over the next few months. I am still quite emotional, so hopefully that will fade over time, too!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
(female)

survival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB Usersurvival sue HB User

Hi 4birds,
I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking. Your deficits sound similar to mine. Did you have a left-brain stroke? You said you have frequent mild headaches - do you have any dizziness or balance issues? Also, you mentioned doing accounting tasks - do you mean at home or are you able to work?

I had my second left-sided stroke last November and I still get very tired and My symptoms worsen if I do too much. At this point I can't ever see returning to work. I can't even drive yet because of the dizziness.

Just trying to gauge my long term prognosis.

Thanks,
Sue

Old 03-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
(female)

4birds HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by survival sue View Post
Hi 4birds,
I have a few questions for you, if you don't mind me asking. Your deficits sound similar to mine. Did you have a left-brain stroke? You said you have frequent mild headaches - do you have any dizziness or balance issues? Also, you mentioned doing accounting tasks - do you mean at home or are you able to work?

I had my second left-sided stroke last November and I still get very tired and My symptoms worsen if I do too much. At this point I can't ever see returning to work. I can't even drive yet because of the dizziness.

Just trying to gauge my long term prognosis.

Thanks,
Sue

Old 03-17-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
(female)

4birds HB User
Wink Re: Stroke Survivor

Sue,

Yes, mine was left sided, too. The work I do is for my husband doing his office work for his business. Very rarely do I experience dizziness, but there are times that I just feel "different", so I think that is one of the traits of being a stroke survivor. After a really long day, I do get more tired than before the stroke. Hang in there & try to keep the most positive thoughts as I pray that you will continue to recover. I feel very blessed to still be able to conduct most everything that I want to do, especially since I have two teenage daughters still at home! I encourage you to speak to your doctor with any questions, as they can be so helpful. Being patient is sometimes difficult because we want a faster recovery since we want our "old" life back, but we may never totally get to that point. But, on the bright side......WE ARE LIVING & BREATHING AND SO GRATEFUL!!! Feel free to send me any other posts if you need an encouraging word or two.

4birds

The Following User Says Thank You to 4birds For This Useful Post:
survival sue (03-17-2013)
Old 03-18-2013, 08:26 PM   #13
(male)

max55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB Usermax55 HB User

That good that you followed up with the Hematologist, they know what to test for. My tests did not come back so clean and I am on blood thinners ( Warfine) for the rest of my life or until they invent something better.

I actually was kind of relieved that he found something because now I know what caused it and what I have to do to prevent another one ( hopefully). - I was only 45 at the time of mine 2 years ago.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
(female)

4birds HB User

Hi, Max55

Thanks for your bit of info. We all must just keep on "keeping on" & maintain our best attitude. Here's hoping for continued good health for you & all other affected by their issues.

4birds

Reply Reply

Tags
stroke