It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 05:11 PM   #1
(female)

Moosie12 HB User
Unhappy Information About TIA's Please.

Hello All

I'm new to these boards so hope I'm doing things right.

I'm 51 years old and I live in the United Kingdom.

I have been getting some strange and worrying symptoms recently :-

Strange sensations in my head, feels like I'm going to loose consciousness but I never do, feels like I'm kind of "floating away".

Double vision sometimes but not always.

Various visual disturbances.

Numbness of my whole tongue and both lips and difficulty swallowing.

These attacks usually last about 3-5mins.

The other morning I woke up and my whole left side felt strange, not completely numb and I was able to move my limbs, but that side of me felt not quite right, my left leg felt clumsy.

I have now been referred to the stroke clinic and am awaiting an urgent appointment with the consultant, he thinks I'm having whats called "Vertebrobasilar TIA's"

I'm feeling very scared

I would really appreciate any information anyone has on this condition please.

What sort of tests am I likely to have?

Thank you for reading my post

Old 10-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #2
(male)

Octogent HB User
Re: Information About TIA's Please.

Just having gone through a stroke recently with about 6 TIAs (warnings which i didn't understand) over a 2 year period, I know your anxiety. The tests are simple and not painful. A CT Scan to see if there is any bleeding in the brain and an MRI, which looks for blood clots and blockages in the small arteries in the brain. The procedures are non-invasive, takes a few minutes while lying on a table with a machine getting detailed images of your brain. From what you are saying, please have this checked out as soon as possible. If t is determined that you are having TIAs don't let it get worse. There are early treatments that can preclude a serious Stroke.

The Following User Says Thank You to Octogent For This Useful Post:
Moosie12 (10-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
(female)

Moosie12 HB User

Hello

Thank you for your reply and your helpful information regarding tests.

From what I have already learned, TIA's are a warning not to be ignored and this is what's scaring me, I kind of feel like I'm living on a sword edge, never knowing if or when a big one may strike.

I'll be so relieved to see the consultant. I'm already taking 75mgs of Aspirin a day, my GP told me to start taking it straight away and not wait till the appointment.

Best wishes

Old 10-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #4
(male)

Octogent HB User

Taking aspirin is good. How is your LDL cholesterol? If you are not on a Statin medicine (to lower LDL), you should talk to your doctor. It could help reduce plaque build-up in the small blood vessels in the brain. I hope all goes well for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Octogent For This Useful Post:
Moosie12 (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #5
(female)

Moosie12 HB User

I'm not sure what my cholesterol levels are right now. I do have them checked every 6 months as I also have Diabetes 2. I think they must be okay as my doctor told me all my last tests which were last month, all came back good.

I take Simvastatin every night and have been taking them for roughly 6 years now, I'm on 40mgs.

Best wishes

Old 10-27-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Moosie12,
Hope you are keeping well and are in good spirits. Mate worrying about the “BIG ONE “is not going help your cause the slightest bit, now that coming from the biggest worry wort this side of God’s green grass.
I suffered a clot in the brain stem on the 18/10/2010. I was fit as a fiddle, normal blood pressure and cholesterol. The doctors think stress was a major contributor to the stroke happening.
For about six years I carried all this worry and stress around with me 24/7. The pressure was enormous. Guess what nothing has changed, all my problems are still very real. It took me having stroke to realise that worrying just makes you sick.
I’m trying so hard to change my mind set, to the point that I’m not continually obsessing about my problem 24/7.
As far as your physical problem, adhere to the advice of your doctors, keep as fit as possible, and drink plenty of water. Hope you keep in touch ,and all the very best mate.
George

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
Moosie12 (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
(female)

Moosie12 HB User

Hello George it's lovely to meet you

Yep I know exactly what you're saying about worrying and stress.
I'm also a big worrier and manage constantly to get myself stressed out, usually about minor little things that mean nothing

I'm trying to just put it to that back of my mind as much as I can.

I'm sorry about what happened to you, must have been dreadful

Many thanks for your reply

Wishing you well

Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

I had 3 TIA's before the stroke, my brother had many more. His TIA's never showed up on all the tests he was given. He was even hospitalized and given all medications. The strokes followed anyway. Sorry to share this. He remains my daily sorrow.

So, in my head it points to stress, to taking charge of your life, to eating well, to exercising, to daily meditation, to staying calm and stress free. Aspirin is excellent. Now I'm not suggesting not to follow doctor's advice, etc. But, in my mind, we need to face stress head on and try and take control of our life as best as possible.

The good news is that I've had no further TIA's or strokes in almost 2 years. Stay optimistic, take aspirin, and wishing you the very best. It is wonderful to be able to come here and share our experiences. Thank you for sharing yours.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
Moosie12 (10-27-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to tinam7 For This Useful Post:
Moosie12 (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #9
(female)

Moosie12 HB User

Hello, it's nice to meet you

I'm so sorry about your Brother and that you have suffered a stroke.

I do completely agree with you regarding the stress issue.

I'm so glad that I found this site, it's comforting to know that there are people here who understand and we can all support each other

Best wishes

Old 10-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #10
(female)

tinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB Usertinam7 HB User

Moosie, if we can help prevent any further problems for you, it is a dream come true. It is what I wanted so desperately for my brother.

Looking back, what should I have done when those TIA's first presented themselves? Here is what I'd say:

. Make sure to keep BP in check. Monitor it every day. Good cholesterol.
. Eat healthy, maintain good weight.
. Exercise daily, some form that you can enjoy.
. Meditate daily.
. Avoid stress like the plague.
. Take aspirin (check with your doctor).
. Drink as many fluids as you can tolerate. Stay hydrated.

Maybe, maybe we can preserve your and our precious brain and body.

Moosie12 (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Mulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB UserMulchie HB User

Hello Moosie12 and welcome. You have meet some of our finest on the board and received some great advice. Its good that you have come here because everyone on the stroke board is well educated in stroke and know how you are feeling.
I agree with Tina none of the tests are painful or scarry. But they are awesome to find out why you had the tia's. Many times TIA's are a warning for like George said "Life style change"but Im glad your going to be seen through the a stroke clinic.
I had 2 strokes just over 2 years ago and I have had all the tests. Only problem is they never found out why. 2 doctors said it was the medication I was on but when I think about it I was also under a tremendous amount of stress. Since my stroke I am very educated in the damaging factors of stress and now realize the importance of learning how to deal with our stress.
Yoga and meditaion along with exercise, proper food and laughter are all good ingredience for better living and better health.
So TIA's can be a good thing if you take them as a warning and journey towards prevention of stroke. It is a journey many of us wished we had travelled. I had no warning and my first stroke I couldnt get my dr. to listen to me when I tried to explain something was wrong. Not until the second stroke when I couldnt walk anymore did they sit up and take notice. So pre-warnings are a good thing.
I wish you lots of luck and please keep posting and let us know how your making out.
God Bless Mulchie

The Following User Says Thank You to Mulchie For This Useful Post:
Moosie12 (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
(female)

Moosie12 HB User

Hello Mulchie, it's lovely to meet you

I'm still yet to get a proper diagnoses, but the doctors that I've spoken too do seem to think TIA's. If it's not, then I'll have more worry, cos something is clearly not right with me.

One thing I'm interested in finding out is my GP told me that people normally get the numbness down one side?? I've had 2 attacks where the whole of my tongue and both lips on both sides went completely numb...would this sound like a TIA???

Before those 2 attacks, I had another 2 in the summer, where my head just went completely weird, felt like I was kind of "floating away" but I never lost consciousness, I couldn't focus, eyes went weird, then I got double vision, I was seeing an object and seeing another one right above it?? If I shut one eye the double vision would clear but if I had both eyes open I'd get double again. Those attacks lasted about 10 minutes.

What's worrying me more, is that 2 mornings ago I woke up and found that my whole left side doesn't somehow feel right?? It's not completely numb and I can move my limbs ok, no speech problems but that side of me feels kind of semi not with it.

My concentration is just the pits, I have to really think hard about what I'm doing, I'm finding typing this a challenge.

I'm so sorry that you had a stroke, I find the TIA's scary so can't imagine what a stroke would be like, but probably terrifying.

Thank you so much for your advice and useful information

Best wishes

The following user gives a hug of support to Moosie12:
goingtorun (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 02:19 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day Moosie12,
How it all going mate, hang in there.
Mate I learnt really early in my journey to stroke recovery, that no two strokes are the same. You can’t play the comparison game, I know it’s hard not to.
I remember almost all my visitors, whilst I was in hospital, had stories of people who suffered strokes and where back to their normal selves in a couple of weeks, or even days etc. etc. This was great for those individuals, but they were not me.
In those early days of suffering a stroke I was searching for answers every which way, from anyone that would listen to my problems. I would listen with an immeasurable appetite. There is no “normally” when it comes to strokes
After a while I resolved to listen to my doctors as far as medication was concerned, and just rely on my own metal as far as physical theopathy side went.
I hope I haven’t confused you.
All the very best mate. Keep in touch.
George…

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
Moosie12 (10-28-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
Moosie12 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #14
(female)

Moosie, if your left side cleared up it was a TIA. They will clear up within 24 hours and leave no trace. So I've read and experienced.

Mulchie, I wonder whether you had lasting damage from your first incident. Estrogen has been implicated, but in my mind stress is worse.

What is clear is that stroke is a major mystery even to the professionals. As George says, no two strokes are the same and what we observe, learn, experience and do ourselves is as good or better than anything else.

Now my stroke was very similar to my brother's first stroke. Since neither hospitalizations, nor rehabs, nor all the doctoring helped him, I turned complete contrarian. Of course, we each must do what we think is best for ourselves.

The following user gives a hug of support to tinam7:
Moosie12 (10-28-2012)
Moosie12 (10-28-2012)
Old 10-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
(female)

Moosie12 HB User

Hello All

Thank you for your helpful and supportive posts

It would seem then that strokes/TIA's are very individual things, each person will be unique with what they feel.

I will just be so glad to get to see the consultant just so as I can find out what on earth is happening to me.

I will keep updating my thread so that you all know what's happening my end.

Best wishes

Reply Reply