It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
(female)

tsutton2 HB User
Stroke at age 40(Female) Undiagnosed cause?

Hello. My name is Tabitha. This is my first post so please bare with me. Background: On Sept. 10th, 2012 I had a stroke while in the hospital. The initial diagnosis was a Right carotid artery dissection that was totally occluded. I was transferred to a different hospital after 1 week and they diagnosed the cause as being fibromuscular dysplasia. During this time I sustained a fall in the hospital which caused a hemorrhage in the frontal lobe. I was unable to be on any blood thinners due to the hemorrhage and after being sent back to the first hospital they found a blood clot in my left calf. An IVC filter was then put in to protect against the clot breaking and traveling. During some of my tests, they also found 2 other dissections( illiac and celiac) I finally made it to rehab for PT, OT, and SP. After 4 weeks and a 50 day stay in the hospital I was finally released home with my family to do in home therapy for 2 weeks and then begin out-patient therapy. After 9 days home i began to get extremely nauseated again and had a mild headache that began to worsen over 3 days. on day 12 i began vomiting and was rushed back to the hospital. after 2 CT angiograms. I was now being told that I had another dissection in my left vertebral artery. 3 days later I was discharged with very little answers and now the worry that this may be another genetic problem called Vascular Ehlers Danlos. If anybody else has any of these disorders or any information that may be helpful it would be greatly appreciated. All the doctors have been able to tell me is that i am complicated and they are not sure. Very Frustrated

The following user gives a hug of support to tsutton2:
goingtorun (11-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: Stroke at age 40(Female) Undiagnosed cause?

Hi Tabitha,

First of all, welcome to our stroke forum. This is a wonderful place for support and information. While I have not heard of your condition, strokes are very unique to each of us, but the outcomes are quite similar. You sound like you have really been through it.

There are many very special people here, and I hope you find this to be a great resource for you. Again, welcome, we are glad you are here.

Janet

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
tsutton2 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
(female)

tsutton2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
Hi Tabitha,

First of all, welcome to our stroke forum. This is a wonderful place for support and information. While I have not heard of your condition, strokes are very unique to each of us, but the outcomes are quite similar. You sound like you have really been through it.

There are many very special people here, and I hope you find this to be a great resource for you. Again, welcome, we are glad you are here.

Janet
thank you for yor reply itsbee a long frustrating roadbein an other wise healthy woman to a stroke at 40 and having alot of doctortell me my case is complitated not sure where to go from here

The following user gives a hug of support to tsutton2:
goingtorun (11-07-2012)
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day tsutton2,
I hope you are in good spirits and well as can be. Like Janet said there are lots of really awesome people here.
I didn’t suffer any of conditions. The only thing I can suggest is for you to stay as positive as humanly possible. Easier said than done, you might say. Mental attitude is paramount to recovery.
I found that when I was down on myself, my physical recovery suffered. Good luck with your recovery, and keep in touch.
George

The following user gives a hug of support to goingtorun:
tsutton2 (11-08-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
(female)

tsutton2 HB User

Thank You George, I am trying to say as positive as I can with the help of my family. My frustration seems to come more from trying to get answers from the doctors. Do you think that a stroke support group would benefit me and have you been to one? I have been looking but haven,t found much out there in my area. Again thank you and I hope that you are doing well.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day tsutton2,
Yes doctors can be very frustrating and annoying to say the least. I think it’s because strokes symptoms are so variable.
I reckon support group are of great benefit. I found that most support groups are great source of information and help. I have attended a number support group meeting and found that it was beneficial to me. In NSW Australia the Stroke Foundation run support groups all over the state, sorry I don’t know much about how thing are run in the USA. You may find it hard to find a group in your age bracket.
I also received a mountain of help, support and advice from all the wonderful, kind and informative people right here on this forum. And thanks, I am doing as well as can expected, the trick is never ever give up.
Everyone has set backs, sometimes it seems you take one step forward and two steps back. No matter, stay positive, remember your brain is the strongest part of your body.
Keep in touch any time, and good health.
George

Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
(female)

Travelmom HB User

Goodness! You have really been through the wringer! I send you all the support I can. I had my stroke 2 days before my 40th birthday, while in hospital for something else. The docs wouldn't believe it was a stroke and it took a month before I got an MRI to show that it was a stroke. Long story short, I had a thalamic stroke which presents differently from a normal stroke. I fully understand how frustrating it can be dealing with doctors. I wish I had answers for you and unfortunately I do not. I do have concern and support and those I send fully and freely your way. I wish you the best and hope you find the answers you need.

Beth

The following user gives a hug of support to Travelmom:
tsutton2 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #8
(female)

tsutton2 HB User

Thank you for your concern and support. It is good to know that I am not alone, as I felt that I was the only one at age 40 that had a stroke. Although I don't wish this on anyone at any age. I am sorry that it took so long for you to get diagnosed, as It took my husband and sister-in-law 8 hours of arguing with the doctors before they did my MRI. It sounds like you to have been through a lot and I wish you all the best in your recovery. I to was in the hospital for a different reason and would have never believed at age 40 I could have had a stroke.

Tabitha

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
(female)

tsutton2 HB User

Thank you for your concern and support. It is good to know that I am not alone, as I felt that I was the only one at age 40 that had a stroke. Although I don't wish this on anyone at any age. I am sorry that it took so long for you to get diagnosed, as It took my husband and sister-in-law 8 hours of arguing with the doctors before they did my MRI. It sounds like you to have been through a lot and I wish you all the best in your recovery. I to was in the hospital for a different reason and would have never believed at age 40 I could have had a stroke.

Tabitha

Reply Reply