It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Stroke Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User
5 months post stroke

Hi guys. Well my numbness is quite different from the initial stroke numbness. I know the doctor and friends say give it time but it is still unnerving. My doctor told me my brain took quite an attack. It will try to repair what it can. My reason for the posting is only to give my story as it unfolds hoping to help someone else. When I first came I had a lot of questions. Now I'm trying to give my story hoping it helps others. My toes are all numb on the left side. I have numbness down my leg as well. My jaw, neck, shoulder, arm, elbow, wrist, and fingers are also numb. Of course I am still exercising. It still works. Just differently. I haven't had the luxury of it coming and going. So I am patient. Wanting others to know my story. Thanks for any input or suggestions you might have.

The Following User Says Thank You to guyp For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Re: 5 months post stroke

Guy,

I applaud you for keeping your recovery as you have been in hopes of offering others your experience. After all, that is just what we are here for.

I know this numbness has been very difficult, and so tough to get through. You have certainly done everything right, and keeping with your schedule of activity and managing your doctors, documenting it all... it is admirable. I honestly cannot wait for the day when you report the numbness as gone! We will all celebrate with you and for you! I only say that because I have seen those days for myself. It is only when we loose sight of our goals that our goals fall out of our sight.

The act of continuing to write about your experiences is another act that always pays off. I credit all the words I wrote in the earlier years of my stroke recovery for allowing me to recover as I did. The interaction with others who your words help so much, as well as keeping that line of communication clear between your mind and fingers is so powerful in my opinion. It really helped me so much.

While quite a few years have passed between that time and today, I still have a great passion for stroke survivors, and always have encouragement to share with anyone working their way through this process. I wish you and everyone reading this the very best.

janet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
(female)

Iwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB UserIwamura HB User

Hi guyp!
Glad to see your post. I know I am not always the positive one but I try to share my honest thoughts and feelings. My numbness is also very different today. My neck and shoulder has started hurting really bad lately. I think the neck pain has caused my headaches. I can't tell that the cymbalta is helping at all.

Janet, I look forward to the days where the numbness and pain is not overbearing. I commend you for your continued support in helping all of us!

Sincerely,
Iwamura

Old 11-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
(male)

guyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB Userguyp HB User

Thank you so much for words of encouragement. I do want others to know of my experiences as I go through them and ii hope it helps others as I have received help. Once again, thank you, Janet. Thank you too, Iwamura.

Last edited by guyp; 11-13-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I know it is so hard, and can be so painful. Please accept my deepest understanding of how difficult the days can be, waiting for something that is so long to come. Just dont give up...

Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
(male)

I won't give up. I have too much left to do.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

goingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB Usergoingtorun HB User

G’day guyp,
Hope you are as well as can be.
Keep on doing whatever you’re doing mate. Remember time is your best friend, try to be patient. I know it’s frustrating sometimes, especially when you feel like you’re going backwards. Mate it happens to everybody.
Good luck and a speedy recovery.
George ……..

The Following User Says Thank You to goingtorun For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

I know you are in this for the long haul... and I for one will still be here years from now to watch and cheer you on.

Janet.

knock on wood

Old 11-14-2012, 05:48 PM   #9
(male)

Thanks Janet. Its nice to have someone in your corner. If there is anything you need I will be here.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:42 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

That is greatly appreciated. The friends I have made here are very dear to me, and I can never stay away too long. Something always draws me back here, and I always feel better for every word I leave behind.

By leaving your story here, you are helping more people than you would ever think. For every one that acknowledges your impact on them, there are many more that are watching from afar. You are so far ahead of where I was at 5 months! Light years ahead...I was not even writing till about year 3, and I was a writer before. I could not keep my thoughts organized to even speak, and was mostly still sleeping at month 5. I still was not walking without help. Little by little it came back, one thing at a time. None of have guarantees, but we never give up trying.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
goingtorun (11-15-2012), guyp (11-14-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
(female)

flwrme HB User

guyp, I'm 4 monts out of my stroke but it is only my left leg that feels some numbness, I went back to hospital ER afer a couple of weeks because I did not understand that numbness comming back not a feeling like the first stroke but still scary. But better safe than sorry. I just posted about some of the things I try to watch out for. Don't over tir your self also I put cotton in my ears when I shower because I think the water that gers in my ears causes some presure and m,akes me feel unbalanced. I keep a journal so I can look back and see if I have repeated some thing that has made me feel off balanced. Try to watch you dont set to long in one place also dont cross your legs it is so easy to do and not notice. Stay off the salt. Keep the exercises going My Dr said dont do them to the extent that you raise your blood presure. Keep up the good work. Hugs Carol

The following user gives a hug of support to flwrme:
guyp (11-18-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to flwrme For This Useful Post:
guyp (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #12
(male)

Yes I know. But sometimes I do tire myself out. My numbness came back everywhere I had a slight tingling. It doesn't go away just seems to accumulate.

Reply Reply